Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
University of the People Experiences
(03-17-2023, 12:16 PM)ashkir Wrote: University of the People decided to take back their offer on me being an instructor. The reason as to why is because the degree isn't "graduated" yet because VUL's graduation date is in May, despite the conferral being in December.

Which degree is applicable to what you were going to teach?  Are your master's degrees not enough?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(03-17-2023, 12:16 PM)ashkir Wrote: University of the People decided to take back their offer on me being an instructor. The reason as to why is because the degree isn't "graduated" yet because VUL's graduation date is in May, despite the conferral being in December.

That is wild. Why in the world would they not go by the conferral date, but instead on a ceremonial, unofficial date?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • ss20ts, Vle045
The results of the Feb 24 2023 visit to UoPeople by WSCUC has been released. UoPeople remains in candidate status.

https://www.wscuc.org/institutions/unive...he-people/

https://wascsenior.app.box.com/s/0ckskhh...d23m1ginru
[-] The following 2 users Like JPN's post:
  • MrPanda, TINASAM
Oh well, maybe there´s no need to keep stalling in the BSCS.

How often are those WSCUC visits? Every 2 years?
Anyone take U of People MEd Advanced Teaching that has an endorsement from IB.org? I was wondering how their courses are like for that particular program, it's the only NA IB.org endorsed program I think, it's the only degree from U of People that actually interests me, the rest don't yet until they get RA if they do get it at all...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I attended UoPeople for awhile a few years ago. Some instructors were good, some less so. The materials were.. adequate. My biggest complaint was with the peer grading system which is horrible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes forkintheroad's post:
  • ss20ts
If you believe that the peer-review grading was unfair, you can message the instructor and he can change it.

I just did it in the last week for 1 assignment and 2 forums.

I usually prefer to check other materials, not those provided by the UoPeople.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrPanda's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-15-2023, 02:48 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Anyone take U of People MEd Advanced Teaching that has an endorsement from IB.org?  I was wondering how their courses are like for that particular program, it's the only NA IB.org endorsed program I think, it's the only degree from U of People that actually interests me, the rest don't yet until they get RA if they do get it at all...
I took one class and every once in awhile I think about returning. Overall it was a good experience. Why haven't I returned? I spent a lot more time on it than I had planned, and I think I would continue to do that for future courses--I tend to get sucked into things even when I could get by with less effort. The course materials were pretty good, with a few exceptions. Peer grading was annoying--I didn't mind grading other people's papers, but I ran into plagiarism more than once and that was disheartening, though I understand that that kind of stuff gets weeded out after the four introductory courses. And more than once my grade was docked by people who don't speak English as a native language for "bad grammar" and "poor English"--which is even funnier because I have been a professional writer and editor for my entire adult life, which now amounts to decades. The group project at the end was painful. One of the people assigned to our group never showed up, another was plagiarizing stuff left and right, another turned things in late. Basically, I held the thing together. The learning part of the group project was fun, but the logistics made the thing take two or three times longer than it should have. I did have occasional emails with my professor; he responded quickly and our interactions were enjoyable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • origamishuttle
I taught courses up until last week when I gave my resignation notice. I had been there for a little over a year and it was a wonderful volunteer opportunity/means to give back. However, many of the problems mentioned here were ones I ran into. There were some students who were vindictive and tried to dock your overall instructor rating in their evaluations because you refused to change their grades (for good reasons) and so on. Ultimately, it was a HUGE amount of work that became overwhelming at points. The school also doesn't let you teach and learn at the same time unless the program is a completely different discipline and you join a new, special program with manager approval, that let's you take one course per term so long as you remain in good standing teaching. I figure with a full time job that it was nearly impossible to do the two, so I hope to go ahead and start my M.Ed there instead of teaching now.
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegecareerstudent's post:
  • origamishuttle
Yeah, the U of People MEd Advanced Teaching is the only program that's unique. Just can't wait until they 'get' RA, maybe I should start the program and when I am about done, they'll become RA! Reminds me so much about Columbia Southern University, they recently became RA and kept their tuition rates low... I am hoping U of People will do that as well!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 243 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 271 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,689 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,503 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 654 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 353 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 761 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 47 6,934 01-10-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: bornsupercharged
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,981 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Newlane University NA CBE AAGS & BA Philosophy Jonathan Whatley 6 1,265 12-06-2023, 11:44 AM
Last Post: forkintheroad