Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of the People MBA 2018 updated thread
Okay, I'm thinking about doing their MBA.  Then I can do a Masters in something that I really want to do. 

I know it sounds weird, but it fits my situation.  I've been in Health Care Admin at a director level or above for 30 years, just need the paper.  I would rather do the WGU MBA in a term, but can't come up with the upfront money due to some extended-family obligations that I have taken on.   The U of the P $200 a course works for my cashflow/budget.

It looks like they have five 8-week terms in each year.   I'm not into defined terms, as they make me crazy, but 8-week terms I think I can do.  The MBA is cheap, but not really that fast unless you really do 2-3 courses per term.   

So, I'm looking for a couple of pieces of info:
  • Has anyone actually taken the MBA courses?
  • If so, how rigorous are they?  Can I take 2 courses per term?   3 courses per term?   I'm not looking for easy learning, I just don't want to have to do heavy loads of busy work.
  • What are the end of course exams like?
  • Has anyone actually finished the MBA program and can comment on the experience?
  • Has anyone actually finished any degree there and can comment on the experience?
Thanks everyone!   Big Grin
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

[-] The following 2 users Like GoodYellowDogs's post:
  • cookderosa, HappyNurse35
I'm interested as well. They make you take 3-4 foundation classes before starting mba. $200 each. When are you planning on starting?
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb111's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(11-10-2018, 09:54 PM)jb111 Wrote: I'm interested as well.  They make you take 3-4 foundation classes before starting mba. $200 each.  When are you planning on starting?

Jan term
Denise

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Cool. It'll probably be later for me but would love to follow your thread
(11-10-2018, 09:54 PM)jb111 Wrote: I'm interested as well. They make you take 3-4 foundation classes before starting mba. $200 each. When are you planning on starting?

As I understand it these are actually part of the mba program. So you are provisionally admitted, pass the first 4 courses, and then you are a matriculated student.
Denise

I don't recall hearing about anyone here starting that program, but there's got to be an online community somewhere with people in that program.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
So, although it's unlikely you'd want to, you can transfer credit for your Masters.  The only way I can see this as necessary is if you did a few grad classes and then ran out of money and wanted to to to U of the People.

Criteria for Considering a Transfer Credit
UoPeople may award 50 percent of the credits required for an undergraduate degree program (exceptions may be made in special cases to a maximum of 75 percent) and a maximum of 50 percent for a graduate degree program.
Before you complete an online form and specify the courses you want to be evaluated for transfer credit, please note the following Evaluation Requirements:
  1. You will need to provide proof of course completion from an accredited institution. This requirement may be satisfied through the submission of:
    • a. For US institutions: an official transcript or copy
    • b. For non-US institutions: a transcript and evaluation from a recognized foreign evaluation service
  2. Only courses with C level (or higher) grades will be considered; AP scores of 3, 4, or 5 will be accepted

(11-12-2018, 11:40 AM)davewill Wrote: I don't recall hearing about anyone here starting that program, but there's got to be an online community somewhere with people in that program.

I was hoping to find some peeps Smile

Maybe I'll be the first.
Denise

Well, I got accepted within about 4 days, pending receipt of my BS transcript. 

1.  The process for applying is easy.
2.  Trying to ask specific questions is not easy.   I was trying to tease out the issue of Foundation Courses and keep getting a canned response.
3.  I also wanted to go ahead and submit my letter of recommendation and my resume, but the portal (reminds me of Ghostbusters) doesn't yet have a way for me to do it.  So, I sent them a question about timing.  They returned my email with a canned response about being patient.  Hey, I'm not a patient person!
4.  Today I received this - an invitation to the place where all of my questions will be answered  Big Grin Rolleyes  Huh  

Dear Denise

Learn about UoPeople's admissions process!

You're invited to join us at our upcoming webinar on UoPeople's application and admissions process. Hosted by our Financial Aid and Outreach teams, the webinar will touch on all important admissions topics. 
As always, you will have an opportunity to have your questions answered at the end of the session. 

Topics:
  • Steps to applying
  • Admissions requirements
  • Documents to submit
  • Transfer credits
  • Information regarding fees and financial support 
  • Questions
Date: Tuesday, November 20th, 2018
Time: 10:00 - 11:00 AM EST

*Want to submit your question ahead of time? Email us or send us a message on social media channels!

Click here
for your time zone

[Image: Register+Now.png]
Here is the link to register.    

https://go.uopeople.edu/03WBNAY19-T2Admi...UifQ%3D%3D

I keep reminding myself that it's almost free, and therefore doesn't have all the bells and whistles I'm accustomed to...
Denise

GoodYellowDogs Wrote:I keep reminding myself that it's almost free, and therefore doesn't have all the bells and whistles I'm accustomed to...

*smile* Good things come to those who can wait for those "things" to come! I think UOP still have some kinks to work on, otherwise, the school seems to be getting a lot of traction in the academic world. The only other NA school that's getting some traction I can think of is New Charter University as they just recently partnered with StraighterLine.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
Now I've been pushed one more step and had to sign saying I understood the policies, payment ($200 for each course at the end of each session for the exam).

Still don't have any more clarity around the Foundations courses, but it appears it is the first 4-5 courses in the MBA program.

Soon, I am promised, I will get to enroll.

My plan is to only enroll in one course for the first session.  It will give me a chance to get used to their processes, website, etc.

More to follow...
Denise

[-] The following 1 user Likes GoodYellowDogs's post:
  • quigongene

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,665 516,568 5 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 224 Today, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,057 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,453 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,842 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,970 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,310 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000