Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of the People is run by bots or morons
I applied there weeks ago specifically just to see how courses transfer in. I spoke to one of the counselors about this at length. Despite a good 10 emails back and forth they never transferred my credits in, so I decided to drop it and told them I wouldn't be attending. Since then, they email me every day. Sometimes more than once a day. Just to ask me why I'm not logging in to my classes or whatever. So I always tell them I'm not attending and how I already told so and so that and please just note that somewhere. This has been going on for awhile. So today I said that, again, and said "I have emailed UofP many times regarding this. Please just stop asking me why I'm not logging in" etc etc. I make it clear I do not want to EVER attend University of the People. So I get an email back that says  

"Just a friendly reminder that the right acronym when referring to the University of the People is ‘UoPeople’ and not ‘UofP’. Therefore, from this point forward we ask that you refer to us as UoPeople only."

Nothing about "ok we'll withdraw you" or "ok we'll stop bothering you" or anything like that. Human beings do not talk to each other this way. I fully expect to get another email tomorrow from the same "person" asking why I haven't logged in yet. 

Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Any idea why the delay for transferring credits?

Are you in Europe, Canada or California? If so, under relevant privacy legislation (depending on where you are), you have the right to insist that they remove all your data from their systems. That might be the next step if they dont stop contacting you.

Really, UofP sounds terrible. You've convinced me to never even consider them as an option.
Doesn't seem like they are monitoring your emails, why waste your time dealing with theirs?

Tag their email domain as spam and ALAKABLAM! Their foolishness goes straight to your junk-mail folder.
WGU MBA 2022
WGU BSBA IT Management 2021
I'm done with school for a while. Time to go make some $ now!

[-] The following 1 user Likes GizmoJack's post:
  • jsh1138
I would just mark each one of their emails as spam. Eventually, they will automatically be sent to your spam box. I keep getting emails weekly from EC. Last week they said I wasn't taking my classes. Say what? I'm not enrolled in any of their classes. I told my advisor months ago that I wasn't going to be attending there. Maybe she's having coffee with the UofP staff....yup I said UofP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jsh1138
The first person I talked to said to send my transcript to him (I did) and he would take care of it. Then the next person I talked to said that they couldn't take care of it and that I would have to enroll before they could evaluate the credits. This went back and forth for awhile til I told them never mind.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade but I've taken courses from something like 12 colleges in my life and UofP is by far the worst experience I have had. They try to trick you into thinking they're free by saying "no tuition" when you have to pay to have your classes evaluated and be given credit for them, there is no phone number to get ahold of anyone with, just on and on. Deal with them is a huge pain in the ass and I would BY FAR rather deal with WGU or NationsU or any of the Big Three or just literally anyone else but them.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

(11-23-2020, 10:15 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I applied there weeks ago specifically just to see how courses transfer in. I spoke to one of the counselors about this at length. Despite a good 10 emails back and forth they never transferred my credits in, so I decided to drop it and told them I wouldn't be attending. Since then, they email me every day. Sometimes more than once a day. Just to ask me why I'm not logging in to my classes or whatever. So I always tell them I'm not attending and how I already told so and so that and please just note that somewhere. This has been going on for awhile. So today I said that, again, and said "I have emailed UofP many times regarding this. Please just stop asking me why I'm not logging in" etc etc. I make it clear I do not want to EVER attend University of the People. So I get an email back that says  

"Just a friendly reminder that the right acronym when referring to the University of the People is ‘UoPeople’ and not ‘UofP’. Therefore, from this point forward we ask that you refer to us as UoPeople only."

Nothing about "ok we'll withdraw you" or "ok we'll stop bothering you" or anything like that. Human beings do not talk to each other this way. I fully expect to get another email tomorrow from the same "person" asking why I haven't logged in yet. 

I would put the wrong name everytime and tell them I would do so until they stop emailing me.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 3 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • cblsak, jsh1138, ss20ts
(11-23-2020, 10:15 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: "Just a friendly reminder that the right acronym when referring to the University of the People is ‘UoPeople’ and not ‘UofP’. Therefore, from this point forward we ask that you refer to us as UoPeople only."

That's some BS. I'm assuming it is your academic advisor that's emailing you about not logging in. My guess is your advisor took offense to something early on and just decided to shut you out. If I were weeks into classes and my advisor was being an a$%, or if I'd put much money into the deal, I'd probably go up the line and insist on a new advisor. If I hadn't even started classes, though, I might call the whole thing of like you did. 

"Therefore, from this point forward we ask that you refer to us as UoPeople only." You're dealing with a real piece there  Dodgy.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • cblsak
I'm not even upset about it, it's just really bizarre. I have never talked to a college that acts like this.

I mean if other people like them, more power to them. I'm not trying to stop anyone from doing what they want to do. But my experience with them has been a complete waste of time.

They say you get what you pay for.....
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • GizmoJack
(11-24-2020, 01:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They say you get what you pay for.....

This, totally.

I think I have 15 grad credits with UoPeople now. From my perspective, I was just there for the cheap credits to transfer back to Walden. UoPeople needs a major overhaul. I will say though that one of the best professors I ever met was from UoPeople, and he even was kind enough to write me a recommendation letter for law school. That being said, the biggest issues are 1) administrative/clericals with poor English language and comprehension skills, 2) inability to get transcripts evaluated prior to taking classes, 3) lack of the professors' abilities to deal with plagiarism, 4) some professors are far more involved than others. I actually would only use the credits to transfer to another school. Even trying to get my UoPeople transcript sent to my law school LSAC CAS account took months and was a nightmare. So glad to be done there.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 2 users Like SweetSecret's post:
  • jsh1138, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 242 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 55 9,315 03-17-2024, 01:07 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 269 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,684 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,502 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 653 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 351 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 761 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 47 6,930 01-10-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: bornsupercharged
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,968 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77