Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of the People is run by bots or morons
(11-25-2020, 01:53 AM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 01:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: They say you get what you pay for.....

This, totally.

I think I have 15 grad credits with UoPeople now. From my perspective, I was just there for the cheap credits to transfer back to Walden. UoPeople needs a major overhaul. I will say though that one of the best professors I ever met was from UoPeople, and he even was kind enough to write me a recommendation letter for law school. That being said, the biggest issues are 1) administrative/clericals with poor English language and comprehension skills, 2) inability to get transcripts evaluated prior to taking classes, 3) lack of the professors' abilities to deal with plagiarism, 4) some professors are far more involved than others. I actually would only use the credits to transfer to another school. Even trying to get my UoPeople transcript sent to my law school LSAC CAS account took months and was a nightmare. So glad to be done there.

I am curious which UoPeople credits transferred to Walden.  I signed up for a marketing class before I found Walden.  Not sure if I should try to complete the marketing class.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
I am attending University of the People and overall enjoy the experience. But their automated email system leaves a lot to desire. I get a lot of automated emails that are clearly not for me (I am in a master's program and they are geared towards undergrads), so I just delete them. I have found that the easiest way to get most things done is to use the student self-service dashboard and avoid emails whenever possible. If you're having trouble figuring out how to use the dashboard or get the thing done that you want to get done, the folks on the University of the People Reddit board can be very helpful.
(04-07-2021, 01:57 PM)wow Wrote: I am attending University of the People and overall enjoy the experience. But their automated email system leaves a lot to desire. I get a lot of automated emails that are clearly not for me (I am in a master's program and they are geared towards undergrads), so I just delete them. I have found that the easiest way to get most things done is to use the student self-service dashboard and avoid emails whenever possible. If you're having trouble figuring out how to use the dashboard or get the thing done that you want to get done, the folks on the University of the People Reddit board can be very helpful.

It a waste of time I think that school campus is established in the backyard of the school founder, He is making this very cheap doing marketing outside the US to catch more international student in a program that is not valid in other places due to its poor academic recognition, the founder just want to collect money, compare to Pen foster college they have most of their courses are ACE accredited and you can even use their credits in any other accredited University.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
[-] The following 1 user Likes gams007's post:
  • MDela3
(04-08-2021, 11:56 AM)gams007 Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 01:57 PM)wow Wrote: I am attending University of the People and overall enjoy the experience. But their automated email system leaves a lot to desire. I get a lot of automated emails that are clearly not for me (I am in a master's program and they are geared towards undergrads), so I just delete them. I have found that the easiest way to get most things done is to use the student self-service dashboard and avoid emails whenever possible. If you're having trouble figuring out how to use the dashboard or get the thing done that you want to get done, the folks on the University of the People Reddit board can be very helpful.

It a waste of time I think that school campus is established in the backyard of the school founder, He is making this very cheap doing marketing outside the US to catch more international student in a program that is not valid in other places due to its poor academic recognition, the founder just want to collect money, compare to Pen foster college they have most of their courses are ACE accredited and you can even use their credits in any other accredited University.
Your opinion seems fairly uninformed. Of course a University of the People degree will not be recognized everywhere for every purpose. In the United States, for example, degrees and licensures earned in other countries are often not recognized for a variety of purposes. That's why one runs into so many immigrant doctors and professors who work as taxi drivers or janitors. So I don't expect my US degree to be recognized everywhere else. I don't necessarily expect it to be recognized within the United States by everybody. Some people will dismiss it because of the name, some people will dismiss it because of its DEAC accreditation, some people dismiss it because it's not Harvard. But why should I care when I'm going there because of my personal interest in learning? And why do you feel obliged to comment on my personal decisions and give your opinion on how I should live my life? I have never met you and you don't know what my educational goals are. Inserting your opinion and telling me that living my life the way I want to is a "waste of time" when all I did was offer my experience for getting around the troubles with the UofPeople email system is rude and unnecessary. Please keep your comments on topic and do not give people advice if they didn't ask you for it.
(04-07-2021, 01:57 PM)wow Wrote: I am attending University of the People and overall enjoy the experience.

Same here  Wink
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
(11-23-2020, 10:15 AM)jsh1138 Wrote:  "Just a friendly reminder that the right acronym when referring to the University of the People is ‘UoPeople’ and not ‘UofP’. Therefore, from this point forward we ask that you refer to us as UoPeople only."

I got this same phrasing from an academic advisor after a good 5+ e-mails requesting some simple information. They truly are either bots, or completely inept morons. I have never had such an incredibly frustrating experience with an academic advisor, or anyone on earth, to get some basic info as I have with UoP. Free tuition or not, there’s a price, and that price is our time and patience. They’re completely inept.
I was kinda hoping for a poll between bots or morons when I looked at this thread...
A colleague in Nigeria started UoPeople's MBA, but was so disillusioned that he dropped it and started over with ENEB, and is happier.

Anyway, that definitely sounds like bot behavior. They make heavy use of automation to stretch every dollar.

BTW, I don't think the negative personal comment about their founder is justified. Shai Reshef has always come across to me as someone sincerely trying to build an institution that helps people. What he's trying to do isn't a cakewalk.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
This is another case of you get what you pay for. If you don't have the endowment of a major university or state funding, then you need to skimp on instructors to keep tuition and fees that low.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ss20ts
(09-01-2021, 10:33 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote: A colleague in Nigeria started UoPeople's MBA, but was so disillusioned that he dropped it and started over with ENEB, and is happier.

Anyway, that definitely sounds like bot behavior. They make heavy use of automation to stretch every dollar.

BTW, I don't think the negative personal comment about their founder is justified. Shai Reshef has always come across to me as someone sincerely trying to build an institution that helps people. What he's trying to do isn't a cakewalk.

I've applied for the UoPeople M.Ed. degree. It was a nightmare. You couldn't get any information from them. All their responses to my e-mails turned out to be irrelevant and off-topic. I've paid the $60 application fee and decided to withdraw shortly thereafter. I had no desire to put up with their robotic and spam-producing student service. I am also happier for making this decision.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 61 10,140 04-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,437 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 307 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 378 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,941 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,612 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 736 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 419 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 863 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 15,495 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77