Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of the People - pending RA
I know I've previously seen lots of threads discussing UofPeople (https://www.uopeople.edu) and while it seems like a decent enough place, the fact that it is only nationally (DEAC) accredited has been negative for many people.

Well, I just noticed today that as of this year, it is now a regional candidate for accreditation (meaning they've applied and passed the first round of reviews), so they have undergone the process to become regionally accredited. If they do that would be quite impressive for a university that costs ~$2k for a degree.
Yeah, they've been pending RA status for a few months now. Personally, I would prefer to go with UMPI over UoPeople, because UMPI doesn't have have unqualified people grading your paper in peer grading.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Holmes, SophiaPrincess, ss20ts
https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2...m4ag726ypu

They're scheduled for another visit/review in the fall(2022), so if that goes well, RA status could soon follow.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Vle045
For the cost (only reason they're an option), they may be a good idea when they get RA, but they won't be very useful for the ease/speed to finish the degree. The only program that really isn't offered anywhere is the MEd in Advanced Teaching. The rest are available if you can "splurge", otherwise, I would wait for them to get RA before you take their courses, you can start with the 90 ACE credits they will accept into their Bachelors programs with the main providers we use...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
Here's the page where you can see the current status
https://www.wscuc.org/institutions/unive...he-people/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Petey43's post:
  • Arto
(03-27-2022, 10:38 AM)Petey43 Wrote: Here's the page where you can see the current status
https://www.wscuc.org/institutions/unive...he-people/

I think they will get this accreditation also they start a new Master degree in computer science the good thing is that you can get a cheap degree with them. Most international student will benefit of this opportunity.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
From https://www.wscuc.org/institutions/unive...he-people/
The "Seeking Accreditation Visit" is scheduled for Fall 2024.

The "Commission Action Letter, Seeking Accreditation Visit 2, February 2023 action"  is a pretty interesting read.

Link : https://wascsenior.box.com/s/us0xokaj80f...sr9zoud4f4
[-] The following 3 users Like durain's post:
  • origamishuttle, SophiaPrincess, Vle045
I pretty much agree with what the accreditation board said. University of the People is not yet ready and has more work to do. Especially on their faculty, the fake degree PhDs they have, and the hostility of some of their staff. In addition, their entire HR department is outsourced and doesn't really understand the American university system and that is an issue.

100% agree that the accrediation board told them to move away from peer grading. That's such a hot mess. Faculty should have more control over their classes, versus being just graders.

At this point UofP is just a fancy Sophia.org for college credits. It's a miracle they can award degrees.
[-] The following 3 users Like ashkir's post:
  • SophiaPrincess, ss20ts, Vle045
(04-26-2023, 03:42 PM)ashkir Wrote: I pretty much agree with what the accreditation board said. University of the People is not yet ready and has more work to do. Especially on their faculty, the fake degree PhDs they have, and the hostility of some of their staff. In addition, their entire HR department is outsourced and doesn't really understand the American university system and that is an issue.

100% agree that the accrediation board told them to move away from peer grading. That's such a hot mess. Faculty should have more control over their classes, versus being just graders.

At this point UofP is just a fancy Sophia.org for college credits. It's a miracle they can award degrees.

A little harsh, but I kind of agree.  When I gave them a try a while back, I wasn't crazy about peer grading.  I saw a lot of students complain about it.   I also follow them on LinkedIn.  I noticed that everyone they hire other than instructors is located in India.  At least, those are what the "congratulations" posts indicate.  It is definitely an interesting model that they have.  I am very interested to see how they continue to develop.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(04-26-2023, 03:42 PM)ashkir Wrote: the fake degree PhDs they have

Literally fake degrees (as in hiring from a diploma mill type situation)? Or like, ABDs? I hadn't seen this before.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 61 10,176 04-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,443 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 322 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 392 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,955 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,617 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 742 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 424 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 871 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 15,504 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77