Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UpGrad DBA Golden Gate U - 70% scholarships for 5,000 students
I am getting my MSc degree from a UK university through UpGrad, for a total cost approx 6000 USD (after a discount). Just submitted my thesis this week.
Nb: I am not an Indian or UK citizen.

If I open UpGrad website directly, I am automatically redirected to a website targeted at Indonesian people and I see this program offered to Indonesian.
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes asianphd's post:
  • Pikachu
(06-14-2022, 02:00 PM)asianphd Wrote: I am getting my MSc degree from a UK university through UpGrad, for a total cost approx 6000 USD (after a discount). Just submitted my thesis this week.

If I open UpGrad website directly, I am automatically redirected to a website targeted at Indonesian people and I see this program offered to Indonesian.

How's your experience with UpGrad (teaching, support, etc)?  Would you recommend to others?
I would research them a bit more before deciding, cost is the "main" draw for their degrees, but their platform and quality isn't up to par. I would look carefully for other options before looking into them. It's great they're getting more programs that have partnerships with valid institutions and at a very affordable price point... but everyone should look at all their pros/cons and see if it's acceptable to you.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-14-2022, 06:22 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would research them a bit more before deciding, cost is the "main" draw for their degrees, but their platform and quality isn't up to par.  I would look carefully for other options before looking into them.  It's great they're getting more programs that have partnerships with valid institutions and at a very affordable price point... but everyone should look at all their pros/cons and see if it's acceptable to you.

Is the course with GGU delivered on the upgrad or GG's platform I wonder.

Upgrad is pushing that you get GG alumni status, email etc.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
(06-14-2022, 02:41 PM)smartdegree Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 02:00 PM)asianphd Wrote: I am getting my MSc degree from a UK university through UpGrad, for a total cost approx 6000 USD (after a discount). Just submitted my thesis this week.

How's your experience with UpGrad (teaching, support, etc)?  Would you recommend to others?

My program consists of two stages: the first stage taught by an Indian university, pre-recorded materials, and weekly meetings with a mentor. The second stage is thesis writing, weekly live class on how to do research etc, but the thesis supervisor is outsourced from elsewhere. So the university only grades the final project and issues a diploma. In the end, I got two diplomas, one from an Indian university, and the MSc is from a UK university.

For support, actually is okay. I always find my inquiry solved in a reasonable time. But because the number of students in one cohort is quite large, sometimes it hard to satisfy everyone. That's the cause of "bad reviews" on the Internet.
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes asianphd's post:
  • Pikachu
@cerich67, That I don't know, I was looking at the program, if it gave alumni status, email, and whatever perks that come with their enrollment, having that for life would be awesome! I am always looking for those type of programs...

@asianphd, are you done with their program already? Upgrad seems great on paper, I am still reserved on taking a program from them. I think its doable if I don't have as high of an expectation as I currently do!

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cerich67
(06-15-2022, 02:07 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @cerich67, That I don't know, I was looking at the program, if it gave alumni status, email, and whatever perks that come with their enrollment, having that for life would be awesome!  I am always looking for those type of programs...

@asianphd, are you done with their program already? Upgrad seems great on paper, I am still reserved on taking a program from them.  I think its doable if I don't have as high of an expectation as I currently do!

I am having an internal debate on the South College Ed.D in Org Leadership or this. As a Canadian who is about to leave the states for middle east and asia, I would be able to do the Upgrad GGU as non US Citizen not in states.

South College gives a $1000 off per 6 month term for being a vet, so 5k a term and competency, if can do in 2 years is same price as upgrad/GGU. if can manage in 1.5 yrs save 5k

Upgrad GGU is a better university brand, higher ranked and DBA at just shy of 20K and looks like 3 years is about as fast as can be done. The exam after the first three classes taken on research methods before you can advance, and after you have paid is a wee concern for me (and I tend to do well with school, but still, that would suck to bomb out then, and being tested on 3 courses (9 CH) at once with rest of the program riding on it and those courses being stats heavy. That is intimidating, and I have to wonder if designed that way to reduce the field and make it profitable. The truth is many doctorate level programs online at a bunch of schools are designed for take money, fail or drag out the courses for more money. GGU has a good academic rep, but also a high drop out rate already.

Both are RA. Both private, South for profit and GGU non profit.

Decisions.
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
Looks like UpGrad is growing into a behemoth. It is now valued at over $2Billion. Its latest investors include Rupert Murdoch's son and ETS (yes, the SAT and GRE company). UpGrad is getting closer to the big US based online education companies like Coursera and edX.

Seems safe to say UpGrad will not try to ruin its standing/reputation by pushing fly-by-night degrees. There is just too much money at stake for the investors involved.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/education-un...-1.1778983
But then there are some other opinions that need to be said about UpGrad, they are actually doing these programs themself and right there is the biggest problem in the advertising they deeploy.
There is a good reason why the UGC India (university grants commission) is sending out public notices about the edtech platforms in India doing dubious things; notice from 16.01.2022 https://imgur.com/a/yLmTQCJ
And why UGC India stays away from UpGrad and probably has them blacklisted. Hence ugc is doing there own thing with abroad programs in India.
Read past the heavy marketing and the venture capitalist money, and read about the reviews from people about the program quality.

I can only tell you how it ended up with the SSBM Geneva partnership with UpGrad. UpGrad enlisted over 1300 people since May in the program, while the current number of people on research gate is 368 so that means they are enlisting people,taking money while they can not even process the number. That is a big red flag and means they are chasing income margins to please the venture capitalist which at any given point will blow up especially with the recent events in India edtech space;
https://www.business-standard.com/podcas...051_1.html .. the number is so far 9600. And covid is over and the venture capitalist are slowly backing off

And if the stories are true then the disaster is going to be worse if the enlisted people find out SSBM Geneva does not offer real doctorate degrees (which i touched recently upon it) that UpGrad is promising to them;
https://www.researchgate.net/institution...va/members number of students in SSBM
https://www.consumercomplaints.in/upgrad...e-c3189179 ..people finding slowly out about this
https://www.mouthshut.com/websites/upGra...ar-order-d
https://indiapl.com/maharashtra/upgrad-176451
https://www.ssbm.ch/blog/ssbm-geneva-par...th-upgrad/
.. so yea i would stay clear from UpGrad. Just read the 5 star reviews and you will see something does not feel right,organic.
Yes, the price is "right" for UpGrad. However, as I mentioned in a few threads like this one, read the reviews. I also suggest looking for comparable alternatives before putting your eggs in this basket... do your research and due diligence before you apply to UpGrad: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid369301

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Edgewood College/UpGrad DBA; potentially $11,250 freeloader 77 8,587 04-12-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Golden Gate University or Apollos DBA? kb24bi8 39 4,043 02-22-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: quanticmba
  New DBA on Upgrad by ESGCI OtterDen 34 5,419 09-06-2023, 09:47 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Any Luck with Ph.D. Stipends? Scholarships? mohelena02 1 610 01-27-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  UpGrad DBA Advertisement (Funny) smartdegree 4 1,209 07-12-2022, 09:34 AM
Last Post: eLearner