Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Updated Big 3 Comparison
A few things have changed since Alissa's thread regarding the comparisons of the Big 3 colleges.

For the newbies to the Forum, let me just tell you very briefly about the Big 3 before I show an updated comparison so you can choose the school that will benefit you the best.

The Big 3 is these 3 schools: Charter Oak State College, Excelsior College, and Thomas Edison State College. You'll see all over the posts that no one calls em by their full name but instead abbreviates them respectively: COSC, EC, and TESC (its just easier). What makes these colleges special is that, as far as we know, they are the only 3 colleges in America that will accept basically all prior credits for an Associates's and Bachelor's Degree. Most colleges only accept some transfer credits. What's great about the Big 3 is that as long as the credits you earned were from a regionally accredited college or at least is ACE recommended, you can transfer everything to them and they will accept it towards your planned degree. So if you have credits lying around in different schools from years ago, you could actually throw em all to one of the Big 3 and you might be only a class or two away from an Associate's Degree.

Now the big seller of these schools besides their liberal acceptance of credits is that they accept ACE recommended College Level Examinations to satisfy certain credits. And there is no cap on how many exams will be accepted. So what that means is, Yes – as long as the tests you take satisfy the requirements for a certain degree, you can for the most part completely test out of everything for a Bachelor's (there are of course some exceptions – discussed later in the comparisons).

There are 4 main tests that we all discuss here on the forum, CLEPs (College Level Examination Programs), DSSTs (Dantes Subject Standardized Tests), ECEs (Excelsior College Examinations), and TECEPs (Thomas Edison College Examination Programs).
InstantCert has flashcards to help us study for these tests. But this forum can sometimes be more invaluable than the flashcards because people who have taken the test can let you know to a certain degree what to expect and tips for studying.

So most of us on here in the Big 3 discussion forum inform everybody about different ways they’ve earned credit and give us helpful advice or notifications about the certain schools.

For instance, FEMAs (Federal Emergency Management Agency courses) are free, independent, self-paced study courses that can sometimes be done in a day or two and are worth 1 credit each. Every school in the Big 3 requires a certain amount of Free Electives – because Free Electives can be ANYthing, you can fulfill that area just with FEMAs.

Another popular way to get certain credits is to sign up for ALEKS (Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces) and take their ACE approved math and statistics courses. Depending on the major and the school, some even award upper level credit for the Intro to Statistics course–which is great because there are not many upper level tests available in the CLEP/DSST list.

Another way to get some other credit is to take a Penn Foster (PF) or Louisiana State University (LSU) course. PF, although it is only nationally accredited, has 182 ACE recommended courses that the Big 3 will accept for credit. These are great because PF & LSU courses are done at-home, self-paced, & reasonably priced.

Also you can sign up for Straighterline which has online courses to fulfill certain areas of general ed like English or Math and get credits for em.

So that's the skinny on what generally everybody is doing on this forum and what were talking about.

About a year ago, Alissa prepared a comparison of the Big 3 to help those who were struggling to find out which to go to. In the past year, however, there have been a few changes and so I thought I would update that comparison for the newbies who are still looking for which school they wanna go to.

So first of all, you wanna ask yourself this: What do I want my degree in?
if you want you're degree in, for instance, Social Science, you're going to want to do the following:

Look at each schools' requirements for that degree. Do they offer it? How many prior credits do you have towards it? Does it have a capstone requirement? (a capstone is a 3unit class that you take near the end of your degree to basically sum up all that you have done and put a "reason" or "meaning" to the classes you've taken). Do the classes they're asking for look hard? How much is enrollment? Is this subject one where I can test out of everything with just CLEP/DSSTs?

Well that's where this general comparison can come in handy for you.

First off, let's talk about all the similarities:

1)Each of the 3 schools requires 30 Upper Level credits for a Bachelor's Degree (as of June 30, 2010, COSC now requires 30 UL credits instead of 15 – I was so bummed about that)
2)They all accept 60+ credits for an Associates and 120 credits for a Bachelor's degree.
3)They are all regionally accredited so you shouldn't have trouble transferring to Graduate school.
4)Of course you have to get approval from an advisor, but all 3 accept ACE recommended Penn Foster courses and LSU courses can transferred for credit.
5)All 3 accept FEMAs – however, 2 of em (EC and COSC) require that you transcribe the credits through a middle man college (Fredrick Community College is most popular to do that), whereas TESC accepts the FEMAs raw.
6)All 3 accept all CLEPs/DSSTs/ECEs/ and TECEPs for credit.
7)All have financial aid available.
8)All schools accept military credits towards free electives or sometimes even towards the major.

And now the differences:

EC and COSC both require a capstone course for almost every major. TESC does not require one for most majors.

People generally like the names Charter Oak State College or Thomas Edison State College more than Excelsior because they sound like something a legitimate college would sound like. Excelsior just sounds kinda fake (Other peoples' words and opinions, not mine… well, yeah mine too if I wanted to be picky, but who cares – it IS legit).

Excelsior will accept the ALEKS Intro to Stats course as Upper Level credit for most majors. COSC does accept the ALEKS courses, but does not award any of them upper level. TESC accepts it as technicially upper level, but I'll explain the technical part next.

For upper level credits, Excelsior pretty much just goes with whatever ACE recommends. So whichever DSSTs ACE says its upper level – they take it as such. COSC is more strict on what they accept as upper level. For instance, even though the DSST Principles of Finance is very difficult and upper level, COSC does not accept it as upper level, BUT they make it a requirement for a Business degree. So you still gotta take it and find some other way to get UL credit. And here's where TESC kinda beats the other 2. They have the 100, 200, 300, 400 assignment system: for any degree, you need 33 concentration credits – 6 of those credits can be at the 100 level (which every CLEP and DSST is at the very least), 9 of the credits can be at the 200 level (which very many of the CLEPs/DSSTs are) and 18 need to be at the 300 level (which they offer way more than just the standard 9 UL exams). So for TESC, it is way easier to acquire your UL credit because, for example, the Principles of Management CLEP is considered 300+ level at TESC while that CLEP is always LL at either of the other schools. So that means there are certain majors that you can completely test of.

EC and COSC require a 1 unit mandatory Information Literacy course. I think you can still Penn Foster out of it, but that’s still 100$ out the door, and if you do it through the actual school, I think its over $300. TESC does not require that.

EC and COSC only requires 3 credits in the College composition general ed requirements. TESC requires 6. So if you took a Community College English course, you'd be fine for EC and COSC, but for TESC you would have to take another English course like Straighterline's English II or CLEP the English Comp w/ essay.

All have their different costs: TESC's enrollment is the highest at around 2ish grand, EC and COSC around 1ish grand. However, TESC courses are the cheapest at 170ish/credit while EC and COSC are around 300ish/credit. .

COSC, for every major (or concentration I should say), requires that you write an essay, submit a resume, and explain a rationale why you should be allowed to pursue the degree you want with them.

Also, COSC does not have majors, they have concentrations. There's really no difference, a bachelor's is a Bachelor's, but their degrees only say "General Studies" on them. For the other 2, they actually say the major like: "Business Administration" or "Liberal Arts".

COSC graduates people quarterly, EC and TESC graduate people every other month.

COSC has been recognized for its highly satisfactory customer service. EC has ups and downs. TESC mostly has downs – I've heard they're pretty rude.

For me personally, I'm going to go with TESC.
Here's why:
I have 22 CCAF credits that'll be accepted as Free Electives, and over 70 CC credits that they're going to accept towards the gen ed and major.
And I can completely test out of the credits necessary for a Liberal Arts degree JUST with CLEPs/DSSTs – which is great because CLEPs and DSST exams are free for me.
So what I'm doing (to avoid the annual fee) is: I'm going to test out of all the requirements first, then enroll, then immediately fill out the forms for graduation. No info lit course, no capstone. I'm enrolled for 2 months and I'm out with a Bachelor's and then I'm gonna have a Bachelor Party. Amen. It's going be $3,000 total for all that but its totally worth it – definitely beats having $50,000 in student loans that you're gonna spend your life paying off.

Hope this helps someone.
Good luck!
-Kevin Cathy

Current Degrees:
B.A. in Liberal Studies (Thomas Edison State College)
A.A. in Business Administration (Sacramento City College)
A.A. in Social Science (Sacramento City College)
A.A. in Liberal Arts (Sacramento City College)
A.S. in Transportation (CCAF)

In Progress at Community College: Certificate of Achievement in Accounting

CLEPs/DSSTs taken & passed so far:
Principles of Supervision / Human Resource Management / Social Science & History / Here's To Your Health / Civil War & Reconstruction / Substance Abuse / Business Law II / Business Ethics and Society / Analyzing and Interpreting Literature / College Composition with Essay / Technical Writing / A History of the Vietnam War / College Mathematics / Introduction to World Religions

(54 credits in 7 months. Holla!)
Excellent post Kevin !

You have been doing great work lately updating and consolidating info and its really appreciated !

Mike
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
kevinmanemane Wrote:And here's where TESC kinda beats the other 2. They have the 100, 200, 300, 400 assignment system: for any degree, you need 33 concentration credits – 6 of those credits can be at the 100 level (which every CLEP and DSST is at the very least), 9 of the credits can be at the 200 level (which very many of the CLEPs/DSSTs are) and 18 need to be at the 300 level (which they offer way more than just the standard 9 UL exams). So for TESC, it is way easier to acquire your UL credit because, for example, the Principles of Management CLEP is considered 300+ level at TESC while that CLEP is always LL at either of the other schools. So that means there are certain majors that you can completely test of.

Thank you so much for this! Ever since I heard about the new requirement for the UL credits with TESC, I've been scouring the forum for anything and everything without much success, probably because it is new. I was really discouraged that I wouldn't be able to test out of nearly as much as I originally thought. At least, without changing majors.

Is there anywhere that says which tests are counted as what at TESC (100, 200, etc.)?

Now, I'm going to print off your comparison and highlight every relevant area. I think, at this point, TESC is still the best option for me. Again, thanks so much!
~ Laura ~
[SIZE=1]CLEP/DSST
--- 120/120 :hurray:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature | English Composition w/ Essay | College Mathematics | English Literature | American Literature | Humanities
| Art of the Western World | Western Civilization I | Western Civilization II | History of United States I | History of United States II | Social Sciences and History | Astronomy | Introduction to Computing | Introductory Sociology | Introduction to World Religions | The Civil War and Reconstruction | A History of the Vietnam War | Western Europe Since 1945 | Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union | Introduction to the Modern Middle East | Environment and Humanity | World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE | FEMAs taken: 24 | [COLOR="Navy"]TESC FlashTrack course - "War and American Society."
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Officially graduated on September 9, 2011!!![/SIZE]
Elinor Wrote:Is there anywhere that says which tests are counted as what at TESC (100, 200, etc.)?

Hi Laura,

I agree, KMM did a great job on this update!

Undergraduate Ways to Earn Credit - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢

scroll down a bit and you will see the list of teceps, clep and dsst exams.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:Hi Laura,

I agree, KMM did a great job on this update!

Undergraduate Ways to Earn Credit - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢

scroll down a bit and you will see the list of teceps, clep and dsst exams.

Perfect! Thank you!!!
~ Laura ~
[SIZE=1]CLEP/DSST
--- 120/120 :hurray:
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature | English Composition w/ Essay | College Mathematics | English Literature | American Literature | Humanities
| Art of the Western World | Western Civilization I | Western Civilization II | History of United States I | History of United States II | Social Sciences and History | Astronomy | Introduction to Computing | Introductory Sociology | Introduction to World Religions | The Civil War and Reconstruction | A History of the Vietnam War | Western Europe Since 1945 | Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union | Introduction to the Modern Middle East | Environment and Humanity | World Conflicts Since 1900 ECE | FEMAs taken: 24 | [COLOR="Navy"]TESC FlashTrack course - "War and American Society."
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Officially graduated on September 9, 2011!!![/SIZE]
kevinmanemane Wrote:People generally like the names Charter Oak State College or Thomas Edison State College more than Excelsior because they sound like something a legitimate college would sound like. Excelsior just sounds kinda fake (Other peoples' words and opinions, not mine… well, yeah mine too if I wanted to be picky, but who cares – it IS legit).

Good post with excellent information.
People on this site have from time to time noted their preferences regarding the names of the big three, however I do have an issue with the suggestion that the Excelsior sounds fake. In New York State, “Excelsior” is found on the State emblem. The word “Excelsior” means “higher” or “ever upward”. Excelsior College is fairly well-known and respected in New York State. In fact many State and government employees have earned credits through this institution. The diploma degree reads "Excelsior College, member of the University of the State of New York."
Dr. Bear in his book titled Earning Degrees by Distance Learning, included a chapter detailing degree mills. It appears that including the word “State” or adding the name of a president is thought to give these diploma mills a ring of legitimacy. For example Addison State University, Columbia State University, Dallas State University, Hamilton State University, John Hancock University, John Quincy Adams College, Millard Fillmore Institute, New York State College, Thomas A Edison College, and Thomas Jefferson University are all noted as non- accredited degree mills.
My point is that any of the big three are fine choices and all are fully regionally accredited. While I have earned my degrees from Excelsior, I would be proud to have attended Charter Oak State College or Thomas Edison State College. The key is to select the school that best meets your needs rather than getting hung up on a name.
[SIZE="4"]Terry[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][B][SIZE="2"]How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"]
AS and BS completed
MBA - In Progress[/SIZE]
GREAT Post. I would like to add a little bit about COSC.

First of all, the Information Literacy requirement is met with the capstone course, so no extra coursework is necessary.

Secondly, the diploma doesn't read General Studies on it at all. It simply says Bachelor of Science or Arts. It's up to you to specify on your resume what your area of study was. This may be good or it may be bad. At TESC, if you want to major in psychology, you have to get a BA, while at COSC, you can choose any area of concentration for either a BS or a BA. Not sure that it matters, but some people seem to prefer a BS. (I could care less)

Also, you're totally right that the customer service at COSC is awesome. My advisor is amazing. No joke I am even going to send her a Christmas present this year, she's been so helpful. She has answered every single question I've had (and I have had a TON) quickly. She also offers suggestions for tests or courses that I haven't considered. She actually worked closely with me to help me choose my area of concentration based on what my needs/interests were and has shown no judgement whatsoever when I've told her that I want to CLEP out of as much as possible.

Regarding FEMA, even though COSC makes you transcribe your FEMA classes through Fredrick Comm College, which is not as cheap as other testing credits, they will accept ALL of your FEMA credits. So, while it costs more than TESC, which will take them directly, it's a very quick way to get I think up to 41 credits. (maybe only 38... I can't remember)

COSC also still accepts GRE credits so for those of you that want to study really hard, but get a lot of credits for your $$, this is a great way to go.

Last but not least, now that my DH is going through the enrollment process at TESC, I am noticing a HUGE difference between TESC and COSC. COSC is cheaper, and when you make your initial payment online, you're allowed to set up payment options. It's quick and easy and you don't even have to talk to anyone to do it. You just choose the payment plan option. They will let you choose whether you make three or four payments and it costs $45 extra dollars for an admin fee to do this, but it's super easy.

I really like COSC and while I know that it may not be the right option for everyone, I would totally recommend it to anyone.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Woohoo!

I loved Alissa's comparison and was just thinking that I needed to double check how current it still is!

Thanks!
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

I'd like to add something that may seem minor in importance but could matter to some of us- with TESC you can double major and you can also get a second bachelor's degree from them within the same year. IIRC, it is possible to double major at Excelsior, but I don't think it is with COSC.
Yenisei Wrote:I'd like to add something that may seem minor in importance but could matter to some of us- with TESC you can double major and you can also get a second bachelor's degree from them within the same year. IIRC, it is possible to double major at Excelsior, but I don't think it is with COSC.

Thanks! I don't think getting double the degree for your bucks is at all a minor thing!
M.
Mom of 11

Graduated 6, still home educating 5

Credits from CC classes:
eng 1113 freshman comp 1
eng comp 2
pos 1113 american fed gov't (political sci.)
spa 1103 spanish 1
bio 2123 human ecology
his 1493 american history civil war era - present
phi 1113 intro to philosophy
soc 1113 intro to sociology
total credits 24 hours
gpa 3.12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,923 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS Evaluation updated with AA completion? triforce828 10 2,533 06-03-2018, 05:25 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  TESU Assessment Updated? Cheeseburrito 13 2,835 05-11-2018, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  TESU Updated Eval Question ggabriele26 4 1,819 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Last Post: ggabriele26
  TESU updated my eval FAST! dfrecore 8 1,457 06-15-2017, 04:42 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  Needing Updated Computer Science Degree Testing Plan for TESU vetvso 7 2,387 06-08-2017, 07:30 PM
Last Post: SolarKat
  How long for updated Evaluations? Synicaal 21 2,041 04-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Aurelius
  Are my number right? ( Cost Comparison) Toastmaster 17 1,912 02-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Last Post: yb1
  A Comparison: EC vs. TESC vs. COSC Daithi 24 2,798 07-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  "The Big 3" comparison table out there? Joeman200 6 1,370 06-08-2016, 07:38 AM
Last Post: alzee