Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Easiest Exams-Everybody List Exams Taken with a 60+ Score Using Only InstantCert
Scored an 'A' on Excelsior 'Psychology of Adulthood and Aging' using only IC. Very straightforward exam.
Pursuing B.S. in Liberal Studies through Excelsior
A.A.S. in Allied Health, Community College of the Air Force
A.A.S. in Criminal Justice, Community College of the Air Force

Abnormal Psychology (B)
ECE Gerontology (B)
Drug & Alcohol Abuse (57 - A)
Here's to Your Health (58 - A)
Intro Sociology (71)

Awaiting scores:
ECE Ethics
[/SIZE]
Is it just a matter of short term memorization of the IC materials? Whats the secret?
BMWGuinness Wrote:Is it just a matter of short term memorization of the IC materials? Whats the secret?

I think there are a few different things at work when we use IC.

First, the IC material focuses mostly on the central/core themes of each subject. Textbooks often STUFF their pages with a ton of extraneous material that is not standardized (it is not taught in EVERY classroom around the country). Since these exams ARE standardized, they only test us on the material that you would expect to find in 99% of all classrooms, texbooks, etc. For this reason, there is no need to try and learn all the extra information that will not be found on the exam.

Second, the format of the IC process is interactive. To get through each section of IC, we must read, write, think, remember, and even click. This makes it much more likely that we will absorb the information. (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has mindlessly read many pages of a textbook only to realise that I have no clue what I just read. It's easy to do. It's like when you are driving and you kind of zone out and then find yourself a few miles down the road with no recollection of actually driving that distance).

Third, the IC material exposes us to MAJOR keywords, phrases, terminology, etc. which will appear on the exams. Memorization is essential in order to pass many of these exams. However, UNDERSTANDING of the concepts and the ability to RECOGNIZE the right answer is, in many ways, even more important. Because these exams are in multiple choice form, it is absolutely guaranteed that we will see the answer for each question written down in front of us (one of those suckers HAS to be the right answer). If we have studied hard and absorbed the IC material, it is highly likely that we will realize WHAT the question is asking, and also be able to remember the right answer WHEN WE SEE IT.

Fourth, rather than just presenting us with a chaotic mass of material to wade through, IC breaks down each subject into organized, bite-sized sections. This is an excellent way to improve learning and retention of information, and is a learning format which is recommended by many professional educators and educational psychologists.

Finally, IC is not meant to ensure that we can answer EVERY question on the exam. Rather, the intention is to expose us to enough information to pass each exam (the general rule of thumb is that we should aim to answer about one out of every two questions correctly to get a passing score). With this in mind, we can see that we don't have to become an expert in every subject we are trying to test out of. We just have to make sure we learn the CORE knowledge.

--

Having said all that, I can tell you that I almost always used supplemental resources, in addition to Instantcert, when studying for my exams (I have taken a LOT of exams). I wanted to make sure that I didn't just pass an exam, but passed it WELL.

I actually passed a couple of exams WITHOUT the use of IC, and I can tell you that it was MUCH harder to research, organize, and learn the material necessary for me to pass.

Instancert is obviously not all things to all people. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and some people do fail these exams even with the aid of IC. But if you can get used to the format and the process, and IC works for YOU, then it is well worth the investment.

BMWGuinness, having observed you on this board as you are thoroughly researching all your options and raising thoughtful questions whenever you needed further insight, I have no doubt in my mind that you will show the same thoroughness, focus, and dedication when it comes to studying for these exams. I have a feeling you are going to do just fine with any exam you choose to tackle.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:BMWGuinness, having observed you on this board as you are thoroughly researching all your options and raising thoughtful questions whenever you needed further insight, I have no doubt in my mind that you will show the same thoroughness, focus, and dedication when it comes to studying for these exams. I have a feeling you are going to do just fine with any exam you choose to tackle.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag

I appreciate your kind words. I have a tendancy to analyze things until I have an extremely good knowledge of them. I've been researching this forum and others for 2 weeks solid, and that is just for the application and admission process.

I'm actually doing the research for 5 people with 5 different wants and needs. Hopefully, by the time I am done, I will be able to furnish all of that information here. I'd like to take 90% of the guesswork out of the equation for the new people who make the realization that you CAN attain a degree in a non traditional format, through a recognized school.

So far, I have REALLY appreciated everyone's input. I hope I will be able to give as much as I have received. Next up is the evaluations, and then the testing will begin.
BMWGuinness Wrote:Is it just a matter of short term memorization of the IC materials? Whats the secret?

[SIZE="7"]The 4-R's!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Nice response Snazzlefrag. I've been trying for years to explain what you just did in one post!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
sgloer Wrote:Nice response Snazzlefrag. I've been trying for years to explain what you just did in one post!

Now I feel bad, I always thought the 4-R's always said it all. Sad Rolleyes
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Humanities with a 50. I must admit, IC helped alot! I was there with 3 other guys taking the same exam. Needless to say, I was the first to finish and when I got my score, I couldn't help but to laugh! I totally thought I failed this one! As for the other guys, 2 failed and one squeaked by like me. LOL. Should have look here for info.
[COLOR="DimGray"]Intro to World Religions 68
Social Science and History 60
Principles of Statistics 60
Western Civilization I 58
Intro to Sociology 55
Astronomy 54
Technical Writing 54
Humanities 50
College Composition 50[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]C Programming - C
Electronic Instrumentation and Control - A
War and American Society - A
International Economics - A
Calculus II - B[/COLOR]
Thank you so very much for the info. i will do just as you said. Have a very Merry Christmas.
Shannon
I passed Intro to World Religions today with a 68, using only IC to study.
[SIZE="1"]AAS (Electronics), TESC-Done
BA Psychology, TESC-Done & waiting
Tests- Eng. Comp. w/ Essay-51, Principles of Mgmt.-59, Intro. to Soc.-62, US History I-66, US History II-61, Intro. to Psych.-68, Biology-55, A&I Lit.-62, Ed. Psych.-63, Soc. Sci. and History-63, Human Growth & Development-65, American Gov't-64, Tech. Writing-63, HTYH-64, Drug & Alc. Abuse-58, Org. Behavior-67, Prin. of Statistics-62, Intro. World Religion-68, Intro to Computing-403, Ethics-439. Research Methods in Psych.-A, Psych. of Personality TECEP-73, Abnormal Psych TECEP-74, Industrial Psych-71
Next-???[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coopersmith Pass/Fail Score Dosada 1 285 03-28-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior is retiring UExcel exams! This month! dfrecore 24 6,090 03-17-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 225 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 301 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Strayer's challenge exams: CIS375 - Human Computer Interaction (Dec. 2021) carrythenothing 8 2,068 12-15-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: jch
  ACE Recommendations for several CLEP Exams expiring today jch 2 1,017 12-01-2023, 05:30 AM
Last Post: jch
  InstantCert InstantCREDIT Managerial Accounting Course Review OldManOfTheSea 21 6,786 11-13-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Instantcert Credit Transcript uncoolbilly 2 1,047 10-20-2022, 07:54 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Instantcert keeps billing me monthly CCCC 7 1,831 08-05-2022, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  InstantCert Courses Expired? ss20ts 19 3,253 07-22-2022, 08:01 AM
Last Post: rachel83az