Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Upper-level credits at TESC
bricabrac Wrote:My unofficial evaluations were prepared today (which have to be mailed because I'm still finishing up my last course). This blurb is taken from the notes section:

06/30/10 A student who holds an undergraduate, advanced or professional degree must complete a minimum of 12 or 24 credits in the option/area of study/core beyond the date the most recent degree was completed. BSBA students must complete a minimum of 24 credits in the core and major area of study combined.

I am looking at the HR and Mgmt concentrations. IMO the verbiage seems open to interpretation so I think each student interested in a second degree should call advising and have a degree plan mapped. Maybe I am reading this wrong but seems like the requirements may have loosened up a bit: core and major combined. If it's flexible, by flexible I mean something like 18 credits 300/400 and 6 credits 100/200, I will be happy because that is similar to the BA programs. Gosh, I could complete this in one semester with one or two classes (GPA) and CLEP/DSST/TECEPs.
FYI - I'm told small business mgmt MAN-432 is a winner and quite a few have spoken highly of PHI-384 ethics & the business professional.

Here is my list of exams, all quickly doable for anyone with a business background. I was advised to take Business Policy last to take advantage of the overlap (capstone course).

CLEP/DSST
MAN-201-DE Principles of Supervision
LAW-201-CE Business Law
MAN-301-CE Principles of Management
MAR-301-CE Principles of Marketing
BUS-311-DE Business Ethics and Society
MAN-331-DE Human Resources Management
TECEP
MAR-321-TE Marketing Communications
MAR-322-TE Sales Management
MAR-323-TE Advertising
BUS-421-TE Business Policy

Maybe we all can keep this thread active as you begin investigating your second degree.
Thank you Bricabrac. This last post is packed with useful information. I am just trying to get an idea of what I'll need in my degree map before signing up with TESC. Right now I'm taking some community college classes and some exams.
Nate

[SIZE="1"]CLEP: Financial Accounting, Social Sciences and History[/SIZE]
NStover Wrote:Thank you Bricabrac. This last post is packed with useful information. I am just trying to get an idea of what I'll need in my degree map before signing up with TESC. Right now I'm taking some community college classes and some exams.

You're welcome. Good luck in your studies!!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
BA in History change is posted:
A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400 are required.

Thomas Edison State College | BA in History Credit Distribution
Cheri ~ Homeschooling to College facilitator
CreditsBeforeCollege.com
cframe Wrote:BA in History change is posted:
A minimum of 18 credits equating to 300 or 400 are required.

Thomas Edison State College | BA in History Credit Distribution
I'm glad I just made it before the change! That means there are only 3 DSST exams that will count as UL history courses now at TESC:
  • DSST An Introduction to the Modern Middle East (TESC HIS-309-DE)
  • DSST A History of the Vietnam War (TESC 351-DE)
  • DSST Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union (TESC HIS-386-DE)

It's not the end of the world though because you can still take courses through BYU or other universities online and transfer those in. You could also do something like what I did. In order to get a GPA I took HIS-310 The Middle East at TESC. This of course is considered an upper level class and if you take it at the same time you are preparing for the DSST exam, like I did, you should be able to pass both. Trust me, the material definitely overlaps. If you can find upper level course on the Soviet Union and the Vietnam War you can do the same thing. I didn't find these at TESC, but perhaps elsewhere. Or you could just pick 2 other UL history courses at TESC.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I have been a TESC student since before the History degree changed to require 18 upper level credits. Does this mean I am still subject to the old policies or since I would be switching majors to History would I be subject to the new policies?

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

blu2blu Wrote:I have been a TESC student since before the History degree changed to require 18 upper level credits. Does this mean I am still subject to the old policies or since I would be switching majors to History would I be subject to the new policies?

If you should change your degree today, you have changed your program date to the most recent catalog (eff. date 7/1/10) and the new policy is enforced.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,085 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,218 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,046 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Need one more BALS Upper Level badooble 12 3,059 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Last Post: quigongene
  Credits Giantzebra 5 1,576 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,357 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,581 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,761 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone