Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premature enrollment...maybe?
In order to lock the current catalog in you must enrol, in the past you could just apply but now you must actually enrol. In the past TECEPs could be used for enrollment, but recently a few people had trouble enrolling or continuing enrollment by registering for a TECEP, TESU stated it was an oversight/computer error and it was fixed but hard to say what will happen in the future. Most students have to earn at least 3 credits from to TESU to maintain enrollment, in the past this was done by passing a TECEP but you don't have to pass every TECEP you take (This does not apply to military or other contract program students, must attempt at least 3 credits every 12 months). It is a good idea to enroll early once you create a plan. Some of the BA degrees had major changes last year, some changes required taking expensive courses at TESU or another school or extra courses in the AOS, some of which are not cheap. I like transferring courses as I take them so I don't have to worry about how they transfer in but can be expensive if sending ACE transcripts. I believe DSST/CLEP scores can be sent for free as you take them.
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
dfrecore Wrote:At least when you have 112cr under your belt and apply at that point, you know exactly where you stand.

This is such terrible advice.

Banking that many credits before enrolling carries absolutely no advantages, but the risk that some or even all of them will be rendered useless for a given degree due to catalog changes, or any other issues.

Enrolling early is basically free of both cost and risk, and carries significant advantages.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:This is such terrible advice.

Banking that many credits before enrolling carries absolutely no advantages, but the risk that some or even all of them will be rendered useless for a given degree due to catalog changes, or any other issues.

Enrolling early is basically free of both cost and risk, and carries significant advantages.

I respect dfrecore tremendously, but I have to agree here. The risk/reward here is pretty straightforward.

No benefits but risks of waiting, versus possible (but not guaranteed) benefits with no risks of timely action; I don't understand the conundrum.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
You can wait until you have 112 credits but would make planning difficult especially if it takes longer then a few months to complete the 112 credits. For the most part major degree changes are usually, not always, made in July. If you waited to enroll you would have to check for changes to the degree plan occasionally and make updates as needed. This could result in courses you have already taken becomming useless or extra courses being added. This does not mean you have to apply and enrol immediately. Once you have a degree plan figured out and are ready to start taking courses, it is a very good idea to apply and enrol. If you have transfer credit from CC or college/university it is a good idea to apply early so you can see how courses transfer in so you won't duplicate, saving time and money. If someone applies today based off of a 2013 or 2014 plan, there would be a lot of surprises and there would be a lot of unexpected gaps. I would find that much more frustrating then minor changes that would affect you regardless of when you apply. Currently you can apply for $75 and enrol by registering for a TECEP $114, if you pass the TECEP you continue enrollment and earn 3 credits that can satisfy a degree requirement. After 12 months you register for another TECEP. Hard to say what will happen in the future but for now applying and enrolling early is inexpensive and less risky and might save time and money in the end.
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
Does the Cornerstone count for enrollment? Or do you absolutely have to take a TECEP or a 3 or more credit class?

Also, is the easiest TECEP still Federal Taxation? (I think thats the name) Does that fit anywhere in the BSBA?
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
Toastmaster Wrote:Does the Cornerstone count for enrollment? Or do you absolutely have to take a TECEP or a 3 or more credit class?

Also, is the easiest TECEP still Federal Taxation? (I think thats the name) Does that fit anywhere in the BSBA?

Yes, the cornerstone counts for enrollment. No rule that it has to be 3cr, just 1cr will satisfy.

I had never heard that the easiest TECEP is Federal Taxation! That's a strange one to be easy. But, it's an UL Accounting course, so it will count in the AOS for the BSBA for both General Management and Accounting. If you're not a business major, it's a Free Elective.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Toastmaster Wrote:Does the Cornerstone count for enrollment? Or do you absolutely have to take a TECEP or a 3 or more credit class?

Id suggest technical writing or lib arts math if you just need one for enrollment. The business teceps difficulty really depend on what you already know
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Yes sometimes those on the board going for a business degree forget that some of us know zip about business. I would much rather go for a Psy. of Women (which was my first CBE) or anything not in the business area. We have to remember what is easy to one might be next to impossible for others.

As for enrollment, in the old days you had to pay tuition on enrollment so that only made sense if you had many credits and were ready to finish in less than a year. As long as I have been following TESC/U it has made all degree requirement changes on July first.

Also as stated by others if you don't enroll before that July first deadline you could have something like FEMA credits not being accepted or all CC credits being lower level put quite a wrench in your plans.

Each person needs to assess their own credit needs, finances and expected completion time to decide what is best for them. Now that I understand new rules a little better I am glad I finished when I did and I hope I get get my son to realize his procrastination has made things a lot harder for him, and more expensive for both of us.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I based my comment of "Ease" on my old understanding of test taking lol! Essentially, the exam is open book, but that does not mean it's "easy". That's where I was coming from. Smile

dfrecore Wrote:Yes, the cornerstone counts for enrollment. No rule that it has to be 3cr, just 1cr will satisfy.

I had never heard that the easiest TECEP is Federal Taxation! That's a strange one to be easy. But, it's an UL Accounting course, so it will count in the AOS for the BSBA for both General Management and Accounting. If you're not a business major, it's a Free Elective.
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,617 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help! Advice needed! TESU enrollment expiring. Lewis.Yim 15 4,370 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: sheptr
  TESU enrollment question Mab81 6 1,724 04-06-2018, 07:21 AM
Last Post: allvia
  enrollment question homeschoolmom1 5 1,167 02-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU registration term dates & enrollment keepsingin 11 2,321 02-05-2018, 05:13 PM
Last Post: keepsingin
  TESU enrollment options for December 2017 CarpeDiem8 2 1,170 12-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  TESU enrollment expiration date? ELSADDIQ 2 1,083 06-26-2017, 02:01 AM
Last Post: ELSADDIQ
  TESU enrollment question Mousebouncer 10 1,894 06-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Time limit enrollment TESU homeschoolmom1 3 941 03-23-2017, 05:58 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU enrollment and TECEP timing bghill 8 1,051 03-17-2017, 06:14 AM
Last Post: Synicaal