Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Useful Free CLEPS
Assume you already have a BA/BS that works for you today (but not necessarily tomorrow).

What CLEPs you can take for free right now might be useful down the line if you end up as a career changer?

Here are some examples:

Nursing school non-science prereq / prereq of nursing school science prereq / vet school - Biology (prereq for microbiology in-person), psychology, sociology, Nat science, any math that might be a prereq for a prereq, chemistry. Be aware of 5-year science prereq expiration.

business/MIS/trad MBA prereqs - information systems, any math CLEP, accounting, calculus, business law, management, marketing

The Spanish CLEP might fit in many places and situations for US folks.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
I'm not sure any of the CLEPs would be accepted for nursing school prereqs.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Nothing where science is needed for sure - they will want recent, lab sciences for the most part. Nothing where computers are involved - they may have a time limit.

Nothing that generally just covers your GE's - those have been covered by your BA/BS already, most schools aren't going to make you take additional GE courses. So, math & business are your only real options.

I personally wouldn't waste my time, even for free.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
I guess it depends if you could spin it as continuing education to your employer but I feel like industry specific certs would be more useful.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
CLEPs are free right now. I would kick myself if I needed it later and had to spend over $100+.

Prereq of a prereq. Microbiology often has a biology prereq which I never took. I would not be able to take microbiology at the local community college today. Maybe the biology CLEP will allow me to clear the prereq. If it doesn't, it didn't cost me any money.

Industry certs I would take if they were free too. I've taken beta exams in the past to get free certs. But no way I can get work to pay for cert exams.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
But "what alternative college credit might I need someday for a second/third/fourth etc Bachelors" is a weird game that doesn't apply to like 99% of people, even those looking to change careers. I say that as someone who has two Bachelors and one in a field I'll never use.

If that is your concern, just take every free CLEP you don't have a credit equivalent for. But it seems like a waste of time.

While you're at it, find a local librarian who will proctor your Saylor exams for free, and sit for all of those that you don't have an equivalent for. There's a lot more rabbit holes like that you could chase, but honestly it seems like a pretty aimless way to play the "what if" game.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
well, 100 and 200 credit is tough because if you already have a bachelor's you're probably going to fill most of the slots for a good portion of gen eds. The real significant need would be in a total flip- like into an AAS program that is going to be almost exclusively new content (not may CLEPs) but I totally get the question. So, I guess you could say that if you've earned a BA in one of the liberal studies, then you could accumulate CLEPs in the businesses. And on the flip, a business degree probably doesn't have a ton of liberal arts credit - so that would work.

The one thing I actually did end up needing after my BA for grad school was stats credit, but I did that with DSST not CLEP (which is not free).

Interestingly, my premed and prenursing credits also were all after my BA but I couldn't use CLEP for any of them. I hear you about the bio clep meeting a prereq, but I took Intro to Biology (3 cr non lab for non science majors) inside my TESU BA the first time, and that's what I would suggest to someone who didn't feel ready for general biology 1 w/lab - but a college isn't going to require that, it would be just for the person who really felt like they wanted to test the waters. Intro bio wouldn't be a prereq for gen biology, and micro usually does require at least 1 semester of biology- so it doesn't feel like it accomplishes anything by adding in a non-lab bio for someone who needs lab sciences.

BUT, I think studying is fun, and if my plate weren't full, I'd be all over the free CLEPs that I didn't already have- just for the hey of it.
(02-09-2019, 10:38 PM)jsd Wrote: But "what alternative college credit might I need someday for a second/third/fourth etc Bachelors"  is a weird game that doesn't apply to like 99% of people, even those looking to change careers. I say that as someone who has two Bachelors and one in a field I'll never use.

If that is your concern, just take every free CLEP you don't have a credit equivalent for. But it seems like a waste of time.

While you're at it, find a local librarian who will proctor your Saylor exams for free, and sit for all of those that you don't have an equivalent for. There's a lot more rabbit holes like that you could chase, but honestly it seems like a pretty aimless way to play the "what if" game.

I agree.  If you're just doing them because they're free, then you could take all of them.  Most won't work for anything at all, but they're free, so why not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Sorry, maybe I’m missing something. How are CLEPs free? Do you all mean free via Modern states vouchers or are they just free from college board? I googled but didn’t see anything new about them being free in general. I was trying to decide if I should take some CLEPs using modern state vouchers instead of using SDC courses but it’s just more convenient to pay for the courses and take the finals when I have time. I took a look at MS but to go through their courses, wait for the voucher, then take the test, didn’t seem like it would be as helpful time wise.

Thanks!
TESU - BS in Homeland Security & Emergency Management (BS.HSEM) (In Progress) 
Started from scratch - 01/2019 - Completion - ??

Credits: 69/120
SDC: ENG-104, HIS-108, COM-102, COM-120, POLS-101, POLS-102, POLS-103, SOC-101, PSY-101, PSY-104, COMP-102, BUS-107, BUS-109 - 39cr
Sophia: Managing Conflict, Effective Teams, Student Success - 3cr
TEEX: Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison, Death Investigation - 19cr
Institutes: Ethics - 2cr
CSMLearn: The CSM Course - 3cr
ALEKS: College Algebra - 3cr
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mil0's post:
  • kvolivera
We're referring to the free-through-Modern States option, otherwise you'd have to pay for them.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,660 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 366 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 246 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 56 9,553 11-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Over 25 in Massachusetts, Free Community College bjcheung77 0 530 08-25-2023, 04:41 PM
  California - Fall Is Free! bjcheung77 3 570 08-18-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Would you drive 1,000+ miles to earn free college credit? bjcheung77 13 1,282 05-16-2023, 07:32 AM
  Job Offers Free College natshar 3 865 05-02-2023, 08:49 PM
Last Post: wildebeest
  onlinedegree.com free classes? ece2001biz 6 918 01-20-2023, 06:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,900 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az