Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utilitarian Reductionism
Grit your teeth, it's an alternative point of view
Irish president warns of dangers of 'market-driven' universities (insidehighered.com)
(06-13-2021, 10:24 AM)Alpha Wrote: Grit your teeth, it's an alternative point of view
Irish president warns of dangers of 'market-driven' universities (insidehighered.com)

Why do you view this as “alternative?” What position do you have on President Hughes’ comments?

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
It's practically impossible to know what he's saying, what he thinks the universities should be doing instead, etc. Give some examples of what you mean, and what you think the fix is sir.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm glad I'm not the only one confused. It sounds like he wants professors to be able to teach whatever they want (or get paid not to actually teach at all) without having to worry about student enrollment numbers. Like... that's fine, but I'm sure that there'd still be multiple classes on things like how to use teletype machines because the tenured old professors wouldn't feel any need to change. That sounds like the opposite of the innovation that he claims to be wanting.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210