Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VA Chap 31 Masters
I figured I would post this here since there is more likely to be other Vets in this area of the forum.

I received verbal approval of my MA degree from the VA Chap 31 program last night. I was advised that there would be a gap in my funding unless I could get accepted into a program for Jan. So we came up with the idea of getting into the TESU MA program ASAP and then allowing me to transfer to my program in Alaska at UAF.

Has anyone here even done a masters program with Chap 31 and do they have any tips that I should consider when doing so?
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Congrats on getting chapter 31 approval for a master's program. Everything I've heard is that it can be hard to convince them to let you do that.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I have heard the same thing. But truth be told I'm held together by bailing wire, ductape and pure will. So I sure my condition helped to some degree. By the way I'm out of the Fairbanks office, and the VA chap 31 team there is really great.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
[-] The following 1 user Likes vetvso's post:
  • Life Long Learning
I am planning on applying to the following Master's Degree Programs in early 2019.

University Of Alaska Fairbanks - MA Northern Studies
University of Alaska Anchorage - MA Interdisciplinary Studies
Thomas Edison State University - MA Liberal Arts Interdisciplinary Track
Rutgers University Online - MA Liberal Arts

It is important for my semesters to be overlapped or consecutive in order for my funding to be consistent. I also must take 6 cr at UAF each semester to keep my apartment and it's a really good deal compared to the local options. I also have my Pell Grant and I use that for Anthro LL/UL BA credits. Plus I never stopped testing out but do so much slower now.
  • Life Long Learning
(11-25-2018, 02:37 PM)vetvso Wrote: I also must take 6 cr at UAF each semester to keep my apartment and it's a really good deal compared to the local options. 

This is very interesting.  Do you live in single student apartments at UAF?  Married apartments?  UAF only requires 6 SH per semester to rent there?  Are they on campus? Do you have to do food plans?  Can you stay there year round?  I keep thinking dorms, but your rules must be different?
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Not dorms but Grad student/family apartments and 6cr min and in person. Yes on campus and I can buy meal plans if I choose too but I have not tried yet. Walking distance to everything so no need for a car and you can bike. I can stay year around and summer must be arranged and I think a class will be necessary. This is much cheaper than on the local economy.
  • Life Long Learning
(11-27-2018, 01:55 PM)vetvso Wrote: Not dorms but Grad student/family apartments and 6cr min and in person. Yes on campus and I can buy meal plans if I choose too but I have not tried yet. Walking distance to everything so no need for a car and you can bike. I can stay year around and summer must be arranged and I think a class will be necessary. This is much cheaper than on the local economy.

So do you work on a UAF degree (6 SH) per semester on campus and also a TESU degree at the same time?  You have a very neat niche.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Yes, I work multiple degrees but others can replicate this at other schools. For me, this is easier for research and I can always take research or project credits if I'm going to travel.
(11-27-2018, 02:12 PM)vetvso Wrote: Yes, I work multiple degrees but others can replicate this at other schools. For me, this is easier for research and I can always take research or project credits if I'm going to travel.

It sounds cool!  UAF was one of my top 5 Homeland Security and Emergency Management programs that I looked into back in 2015.  Not sure they teach it on campus or just online.  The Alaska colleges have always been pro Veteran unlike some States down here.

(11-27-2018, 01:55 PM)vetvso Wrote: Not dorms but Grad student/family apartments and 6cr min and in person. Yes on campus and I can buy meal plans if I choose too but I have not tried yet. Walking distance to everything so no need for a car and you can bike. I can stay year around and summer must be arranged and I think a class will be necessary. This is much cheaper than on the local economy.

Don't get a meal plan.  Those block plans that UAF offers are a scam.  and the "much money" return per dollar ratio is bad too.  Think 5 dollars for a gallon of milk at the campus cache.  

Graduate housing there year round is a good way to go.  Just stay away from meal plans.  

Go 907
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Louisville - Masters (Active Duty) bjcheung77 0 630 06-16-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  7 months of post 9/11 after completing masters subhuman 4 2,246 02-08-2018, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior has special offer for militar who are interested in Masters P00057870 1 1,238 07-11-2011, 05:39 AM
Last Post: ffdpsoldier