Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Verity Institute
Do any of you know about Verity Institute? It works through Thomas Edison State College and is reminiscent of College Plus. The difference is that Verity supplies texts that have a Christian focus (a plus for me) rather than just suggesting texts. They still have counseling and all that.

You see, while at a homeschool convension doing speeches, I stopped at Verity's booth. The guy there went so far as to say that they knew TESC's system better than TESC knows it -- to the point that he and others in Verity's service have actually started training Thomas Edison employees how handle credits and whatnot.

Here's the website: Verity Institute | Innovative Higher Education

Does this sound like a good thing for someone interesting in CLEPing the entire degree through TESC? The cost is comparable to College Plus.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Ruddigore,

What part of the country do you live in? Indiana?

I don't know much about the Verity Institue, but I've heard good things about it. Are you talking about the IAHE Convention?....because I was there.
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)
Levi_1989 Wrote:What part of the country do you live in? Indiana?

I don't know much about the Verity Institute, but I've heard good things about it. Are you talking about the IAHE Convention?....because I was there.
No, I spoke of the MACHE Convention (Minnesota).

I didn't know Verity existed until that Convention! Regardless, I only think of one thing when I hear the word "verity."
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Yes, definitely check it out...I would be interested to find out more about it as well. The campus is only about twenty minutes away from my house! Big Grin

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that Gilbert and Sullivan play...
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)
Hi, I'm Ruddigore's mom. I will be calling Verity today to get some more info and will let you know what they have to say.

Andrew, you actually live THAT close to them! You may have to do a reconnaissance for us to check out their facilities. Well, you don't have to, of course.... Wink
I, too, spoke with a rep from Verity at the Minnesota homeschool convention ... actually we spent quite a bit of time together bantering options.

As a mom of Cleppers, I was very impressed by what they have to offer. They themselves are not an accredited agency, but have partnered with TESC and also work with Excelsior and Charter Oak.

In a nut shell, here is what they offer:
1. 21 month program from start to finish for a 4-year
2. Advising services for $595 a year
3. Lending library for all textbooks, dvds etc needed for all courses
4. Study guides prepared by them for clepped courses, including videos instruction
5. Campus if you want to live the college life
6. Senior Missions trip and graduating ceremony
7. Christian focus
Cheri ~ Homeschooling to College facilitator
CreditsBeforeCollege.com
LatinTea Wrote:Andrew, you actually live THAT close to them! You may have to do a reconnaissance for us to check out their facilities. Well, you don't have to, of course.... Wink

**Laughing**

Okay, Ruddigore's Mom, I may have to do some snooping....yes ma'am. hilarious
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
[/SIZE]
I'm planning on majoring in music through TESC. I attended Verity's Piano Pedagogy workshop (3 credits through portfolio), and I can tell you it's an amazing campus, wonderful staff, great Christian focus.

$10,000 a year for distance learning, 16 for on campus.

At first I thought, there is no way I will go through Verity, I don't need coaching for CLEPS, I have IC! But, since I'm majoring in music, I think I need some help finding music courses since TESC has you portfolio a lot, and I don't think I can handle that on my own.

But 10,000 a year! I'm figuring I might spend that much anyway searching for music classes at local colleges. Music is just one of those degrees...
US History I- 74
Western Civ I- 63
A&I Lit- 74
American Lit.- 77
English Lit. 74
Humanities 77
Information Systems and Computer applications 61
US History 2- 72
Social Sciences-67
Natural Sciences- 54
College Composition- 59
College Math- 67
Macro 56
Micro 62
Western Civ 2 68
Management 62
Marketing 68
Intro Psych 68
Ed Psych 64
Human Growth & Development 54
Sociology 58
kimberose Wrote:I'm planning on majoring in music through TESC. I attended Verity's Piano Pedagogy workshop (3 credits through portfolio), and I can tell you it's an amazing campus, wonderful staff, great Christian focus.

$10,000 a year for distance learning, 16 for on campus.

At first I thought, there is no way I will go through Verity, I don't need coaching for CLEPS, I have IC! But, since I'm majoring in music, I think I need some help finding music courses since TESC has you portfolio a lot, and I don't think I can handle that on my own.

But 10,000 a year! I'm figuring I might spend that much anyway searching for music classes at local colleges. Music is just one of those degrees...
Man, $10,000 per year, and its still through TESC. That's getting pretty expensive. It seems that there may be other options for music classes. Look around and do some more research. It beats $10,000-$20,000 that might be spent. Also, check out CollegePlus. You could always use them towards the end of your degree, to find course equivalents and such. I don't know how much they cost, but it still might be cheaper.

BTW My brother was part of the first class that went through Verity Institute. It was up in Flint, MI at that point. It was a great place, just not for him Smile
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
The thing is, since it's music, I know it's going to be more than most other degrees because I just can't test out of everything.

I am just getting so frustrated with looking everywhere for music courses, and they're not what I'm looking for...like just general music appreciation, umm, not really.

I am wondering...and I need to ask both college plus and verity, if I get all my CLEPs before applying for either, how much less would the cost be? Or if I took my core courses, like music history or theory already somewhere else? I lknow their costs include everything, so if I already had half of my credits under my belt, I shouldn't be facing as large a cost.
US History I- 74
Western Civ I- 63
A&I Lit- 74
American Lit.- 77
English Lit. 74
Humanities 77
Information Systems and Computer applications 61
US History 2- 72
Social Sciences-67
Natural Sciences- 54
College Composition- 59
College Math- 67
Macro 56
Micro 62
Western Civ 2 68
Management 62
Marketing 68
Intro Psych 68
Ed Psych 64
Human Growth & Development 54
Sociology 58

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies GoodYellowDogs 3 670 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  AHS Institute MaieJaie 11 2,612 03-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Last Post: JaronB34
  Transferring The Game Institute Credits to TESC bsbastudent 7 909 01-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Last Post: brajalle
  Game Institute bigticket 6 1,448 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  TESC and Game Institute phantasz 9 2,006 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Last Post: ryoder