Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing Rituals!
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone else had some odd pre-exam rituals they do? (Not necessarily for superstitious reasons, just perhaps out of force of habit.)

Here are my three... Please pardon my openness on two of these, they're just odd things that just have to happen.

1. I always have to use the restroom before I sit for a test. Most of the time I really really have to go. I think it's just nerves... It's odd, but it's the internet, so I feel comfortable in sharing xD
2. I always wear my lucky four leaf clover boxers. Again, I apologize for being increasingly open... But yes, I have shamrock boxers.
3. I always pray, before my exam, during my exam, and before I see my score (lol).

In my earlier stages of testing I didn't have any set pre-test rituals, and I failed 2 or 3 CLEPs (never failed a DSST), but since I've had these (very very very odd) rituals, I have not failed an exam since.
Coincidence? Probably xD

So what are some of your embarassing rituals? My shamrock boxers have broken the ice, so feel free to share your most embarrassing rituals!
SIlentphantom0 Wrote:1. I always have to use the restroom before I sit for a test. Most of the time I really really have to go. I think it's just nerves... It's odd, but it's the internet, so I feel comfortable in sharing xD
2. I always wear my lucky four leaf clover boxers. Again, I apologize for being increasingly open... But yes, I have shamrock boxers.
3. I always pray, before my exam, during my exam, and before I see my score (lol).

LOL Thanks for sharing!

The reasons superstitions often work (or seem to) is confidence.
Praying, wearing lucky boxers, ritual peeing, lol whatever works.

Doesn't have to be real, you just have to believe it is real, and your confidence increases making you calmer and more clear headed and also less likely to second guess yourself.

I don't think what I do would be considered praying per se, there is no magical wish granting guy in the sky involved...more like an elaborate type of OCD wishing ... I think...

However now you've got me thinking about trying to procure some lucky boxers.... Wink
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits
Not embarrassing, but I have one test candidate who always signs out for a restroom break after going through the test the first time. There is always plenty of time left to review those answers marked for review, but most times it is just a physical, mental and visual break from the exam.

I love celebrating with those who pass and never quite know what to say to those who do not. I always try to be encouraging no matter what, but the tears do me in every time -- tears of celebration and tears of disappointment.
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:Not embarrassing, but I have one test candidate who always signs out for a restroom break after going through the test the first time. There is always plenty of time left to review those answers marked for review, but most times it is just a physical, mental and visual break from the exam.

I love celebrating with those who pass and never quite know what to say to those who do not. I always try to be encouraging no matter what, but the tears do me in every time -- tears of celebration and tears of disappointment.

Or they're checking their answers on their phone lol.

I am such a nervous test taker, I don't even go over my answers that I marked. I don't know why I bother marking them, I know I'm never going back to them.

I also have a bad habit of rushing through the last few questions.

This is all because of the unbearable feeling of not knowing if I passed, I have to know right NOW! lol which of course is increasing the chances that I don't, lol. Its terrible. I keep saying I'm going to work on it but I don't think I can lol.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

FEMA - 12 Credits
I am sure you are kidding because no one is allowed access to their personal belongings during the test, not even when they sign out for a break.

I have another candidate who suffers from panic attacks during testing. Sometimes he is just fine; sometimes he needs to pop in what looks like a lozenge (can't recall what the brand name is).
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:I am sure you are kidding because no one is allowed access to their personal belongings during the test, not even when they sign out for a break.

I have another candidate who suffers from panic attacks during testing. Sometimes he is just fine; sometimes he needs to pop in what looks like a lozenge (can't recall what the brand name is).

Yeah I'm not sure what kind of tests you're talking about but... do they take them naked? You do a pat down... or?
Do they sign in their belongings to some kind of locker? Does this locker have a lock?

lol

I nervously play with my phone right up until the test starts and either have it right next to me or in my pocket during the test. Just like everyone else. Granted there are never so many people at one time that the proctor can't clearly see all of us and our hands. I've never had to take a potty break (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself now) but others have.

Anyway I just used the example of the phone. Wouldn't have to be a phone, a good old fashioned cheat sheet in their pocket or left behind in the bathroom would accomplish the same thing. Not to give anyone any bad ideas but lol.

I'm no psychic but... If someone is literally going to the bathroom at the end of every test, and coming back in and changing answers... I'd say chances are they're not actually taking a potty break.

FEMA - 12 Credits
SIlentphantom0 Wrote:Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone else had some odd pre-exam rituals they do? (Not necessarily for superstitious reasons, just perhaps out of force of habit.)

Here are my three... Please pardon my openness on two of these, they're just odd things that just have to happen.

1. I always have to use the restroom before I sit for a test. Most of the time I really really have to go. I think it's just nerves... It's odd, but it's the internet, so I feel comfortable in sharing xD

In my earlier stages of testing I didn't have any set pre-test rituals, and I failed 2 or 3 CLEPs (never failed a DSST), but since I've had these (very very very odd) rituals, I have not failed an exam since.
Coincidence? Probably xD

So what are some of your embarassing rituals? My shamrock boxers have broken the ice, so feel free to share your most embarrassing rituals!

As long as the are four leaf clovers you'll do fine. Shamrocks always have three leaves and aren't really lucky Smile I guess I say my prayers beforehand, but its not like I believe God is going to drop answers from heaven for something I didn't study about. I always have about 4 pencils (the sharpest ones) and scrap paper although most of the time I never use them. I don't mark questions to go back over, I took the shot and if I miss I didn't get it and that's about it.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
An otherwise utterly rationalist Japanese colleague, Dr Magoroh Maruyama, claims that his school success is due in large measure to carrying an Omamori good luck amulet into all his exams. I note that Amazon carries them, at prices ranging from under $5 to over $2,000. Perhaps cost is proportional to power?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daemen & Total Testing Alpha 6 903 02-16-2022, 11:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coopersmith Testing Question tls7291 5 1,073 07-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,236 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Online Testing Options during COVID19 closures vetvso 5 1,244 04-19-2020, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Denied Acceptance for Master's Programs with Testing Out degree? JWells247 6 2,135 12-27-2019, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JWells247
  Finding testing locations for clep res0uuga 6 1,417 02-09-2019, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  GRE Testing (old-school-style) cookderosa 4 1,469 12-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  TESU :: Psychology Testing Resource Guidance HAYDENTREE77 13 3,429 01-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Last Post: HAYDENTREE77
  3-Month Testing Window? Jos18 2 1,350 08-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Jos18
  Foundations of Gerontology-Testing soon bunnybu 3 1,030 07-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Last Post: bunnybu