Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vietnam War DSST Advice
So, I did read the other threads dealing with this test, but most of the advice was a few years old. I am assuming that the tests have probably changed somewhat.

I am scheduled to take A History of the Vietnam War in two weeks, as part of the the final three DSSTs for my History B.A. I am almost exclusively using InstantCert, Sparknotes on Vietnam, and Free Clep Prep's practice tests (scoring 90% consistently). What I am wondering is, do you think this should be enough to pass the test?

Two years ago I took Civil War and Reconstruction and passed it just from using InstantCert, scoring a 71. Now, varying reports say that for the Vietnam test you need to study much more than what is on IC, while others say IC and Sparknotes are enough. Does it come down to familiarity with the subject matter, or are the questions that specific or tough? I found on the Civil War test that the questions were exactly the same as what I was taught on IC. I have heard that is not necessarily the case with the Vietnam test.

After I take the test, I am scheduling Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union and Intro to Modern Middle East. I am told these are even more tough, but again, it is a matter of opinion.

I am shooting for getting my final 12 credits done before Christmas, so I can graduate in March. And I want to get these three tests done before I get too deep into my Capstone project.

What do you guys think? Can I do the test(s) mainly using IC flashcards, or do I need to have my head re-examined?
IC is definitely great for this test—you're fine relying on it primarily. I used the IC flashcards a lot for this test, as well as online free resources (FCP practice test, Wiki, Snazzlefrag's notes) and I passed with 74. The SEF is really accurate too. Here is more detailed feedback I wrote up after I tested. Hope this helps!

P. S. On that thread I linked to is also my feedback for the Soviet Union and Middle East DSSTs. They're not really that bad Wink
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Corpsole2: I took the Vietnam test over a year ago and the Civil War test 2 weeks ago. I really believe that the Vietnam test is easier than the Civil war test. The IC flashcards are tedious for the civil war, but I remember them being pretty straight forward for the Vietnam test. Be sure to check the specific feedback forum to see if there are any current updates that would be helpful to know. The Free-clep-prep practice tests are very helpful for the Vietnam test. If you are truly getting 90% on those practice tests and are comfortable with the flashcards--then you are good to take the test now.

I did not take the middle east test. The Ussr test isn't that bad you just need to study more. The spellings of the Russian names are tricky and it just takes a little longer for the info to set in. I spent three weeks studying for the USSR exam.
Clep's Passed: Humanites 70, Sociology 60, Psy 74, HG&D 61, EP 64
DSST's Passed: World Religions 480, Vietnam War 67, Environment & Humanity 67, M&B 64, MIS 449, Org Beh. 64, CJ 437, SA 450, USSR 64, CW 66,
Penn Foster: Fin. Man.
Did all the aleks stuff
TESC: Lib. Cap, BA in Social Science December 2013
I took this test as one of my first before I really knew about IC. I used the book Vietnam: A history by Stanley Karnow I bought it as an audio book and listened to it as I went to sleep at night. You might also want to watch the movie "We were soldiers once" I thought it was a fairly accurate telling.

I lived through the Vietnam war and protested against it so I thought it would be a test I would know something about. I just found some of the names hard to remember. I doubt the test has changed since I took it because it is still on the old grading system. I watched the PBS series afterword just because, I thought it covered a lot of what was on the test.

Do take note of the fact that Westerner is a Brainiac look at those test grades!!! I only got a 66 on this one.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
The Vietnam War test is not one of DSST's refreshed exams so I would hazard a guess that the specific exam feedback will still apply.
Coincidentally enough, I've been collecting videos for FCP's youtube channel, and spent most of yesterday watching videos about this very exam. I did find quite a few that I really enjoyed and seemed to cover much of what you'll need to know for this exam.

You can check out the playlist here: A History of the Vietnam War DSST - YouTube

Hope that helps!
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
Though some people have an objection to owning a book called "The Complete Idiots Guide to...," I found that "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Vietnam War" was incredibly helpful. I used it and the Instantcert flash cards as primary sources and scored a 68.
Well, I am a week away now from the test, and I am really starting to do well on the IC flashcards. I just took the SparkNotes quiz for the third time, and got 100% on the 50 questions. I don't know how accurate the questions would be compared to the test, but I'm happy with it. Also, I am maintaining a high 80-90% on FCP practice tests.

I read in a few other Vietnam threads on this site that some test takers noted they ask some things that weren't covered by IC. Did any of you notice this?
corpsole2 Wrote:I read in a few other Vietnam threads on this site that some test takers noted they ask some things that weren't covered by IC. Did any of you notice this?
Nope, not really—IC worked for me Cool
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
I just got back from taking the Vietnam War DSST. It was on paper, so I won't know my score for a few weeks.

I now know why you guys have the feeling like you think you passed, but are not sure. The questions were out of this world. The way they were worded caused me to have to do an educated guess most of the time. I had to mark at least fifteen questions for review.

Well, now it's on to the dreaded Soviet Union and the Middle East tests. Were they harder than Vietnam War?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 617 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,571 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,163 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,396 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,024 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 1,971 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 682 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 948 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,151 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,613 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha