Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WARNING...Straighterline Ethics duplicates DSST Business Ethics & Society at TESU
Hey folks.

I am very perturbed on this issue because I just found out today the hard way. I took the DSST exam 3 years ago and just last month completed the Straighterline Business Ethics course. I've been an enrolled student with TESU since October 2015. Got my academic evaluation today and noticed that the Straighterline Business Ethics course which should have been under the "Responsible Ethical Leadership" category was not there. It was at the bottom of the eval with the code:

5 PHI-384 Ethics & Business Profess 3.00 CR PHI-384 *RI*NE*DUP***RI means Ruled Ineligible for this program***

My blood was boiling after viewing this. After 10 minutes to calm down I called the Academic Advising office and spoke with Patty and told her the situation.The gist of her response was that after reviewing the DSST course it was deemed to be very similar to the PHI-384 course so it was the Dean's decision to not allow both courses for credit. So the end result was her moving the Straighterline course to the 'Responsible Ethical Leadership' section and removing the DSST exam entirely. Now I have to take the TECEP Business in Society exam to meet that requirement. I asked her when this policy was instituted and she said before July 2015...how convenient.

What bothers me about this whole situation is the fact that TESC (TESU) has been a partner college with Straighterline for 5+ years and have accepted DSST Business Ethics & Society since time immemorial and they just decided to come to this conclusion?!?!? Secondly, under the BSBA General Management they have no problem in the footnotes explaining that Consumer Finance (Personal Finance) and Principles of Supervision cannot be included in the major area of study because of the fundamental nature of these subjects--- but can't include a footnote on their website or Straighterline's website in regards to Business Ethics (PHI-384) and DSST Business Ethics & Society. Aren't colleges suppose to research this stuff before deciding on granting credit in the first place?

Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up so they don't end up wasting time and money. So now instead of having 87 credits completed I have 84. Oh well.

P.S: The DSST equivalency chart on TESU's website was removed due to ACE reviewing the DSST exams. Patty assured me that once those reviews are completed the chart will be posted back on the website.- Marshall
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
mlwilliamsiv Wrote:Now I have to take the TECEP Business in Society exam to meet that requirement.

what requirement ?

you say the Straighterline course was moved to the 'Responsible Ethical Leadership' section

so that's fulfilled
The Business in Society requirement which was already fulfilled by my DSST Business Ethics & Society is now null and void because of the Straighterline Business Ethics course. So since the SL course was moved to the R.E.L section that leaves my Business in Society section empty because the DSST exam won't count.

Several DSST, CLEP, and Straighterline duplicate each other. If you want to see what CLEP & DSST transfer in as, it's still in the catalog -- Courses, Degree Programs & Calendars | Thomas Edison State University. And Straighterline equivalencies are on their new alternative credit project chart -- Alternative Credit Project.
Leherself Wrote:..Straighterline equivalencies are on their new alternative credit project chart -- Alternative Credit Project.
Thanks for this link; I have not seen it before. Just a small correction however, this links all the ACPs (not just SLs) to the TESU TEs. Additionally, there are many more ACE accredited paths outside of ACP, e.g. Microbiology at Study.com to name just one. SL to TESU TEs can be found on their site: Thomas Edison State College & StraighterLine - Degree Savings Partnership | StraighterLine
The change has been discussed in a different thread. When did you complete the DSST?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
This was discussed in a previous post, and has been policy for a long time. Knowing the course equivalencies won't help much, because they do not have the same course numbers: Business Ethics & Society DSST is BUS-302, while Business Ethics SL is PHI-384. Maybe they will change that with their update? I hope so.

Basically, it can be boiled down to this: anything with Ethics in the title is an Ethics course, which is trumped by the "anything with law in it is a LAW course" rule. I just made both of those up, but I think they work. (Saylor's Business Law & Ethics LAW-201 is a law course, to give the best example of my rule).

Business in Society is only satisfied by that TECEP, or International Business. No Ethics course will work there (even if it has the word "society" in the title - there is not "society" rule!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hi Marshall, it's nice to see you again after all these years. Sorry this is what brought you back Sad
cookderosa Wrote:Hi Marshall, it's nice to see you again after all these years. Sorry this is what brought you back Sad

LOL!!! Hey Cookderosa...it's good to be back. I'm pretty much over it now...not the way I planned on my morning going but what's done is done and not gonna cry about spilled milk. I still needed to take the Straighterline course anyway to clear the Responsible Ethical Leadership hurdle and I took the DSST Business Ethics & Society 3 years ago when I was at Excelsior so it's really no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Just upset because on my transcript with TESU it clearly listed the DSST exam meeting the Business in Society requirement and showed as completed.

Oh well...the show must go on. As you were people!

-Marshall

Just two weeks ago I asked TESU if the DSST test, "Business Ethics in Society," counted towards the Business in Society requirement (Area G). The answer was yes, but only until 12/31/2016. Here is a screenshot of the email I got from them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1690[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">dsst covers section g-1.jpg (Size: 55.11 KB / Downloads: 3)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,011 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,678 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,134 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,670 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,747 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,365 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,611 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,340 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,398 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore