Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU BS Business Admin
I wanted some quick advice on transferring into the BSBA program, either the general one or hopefully the IT Management one. 

What associates degrees would they take to clear the AS level?

I've got a bunch of credits done already at Ashworth and could get:

AS Business Admin.
AS Finance 
AS InfoSys

I want the Finance because it's the most interesting to me right now. But would that prevent me from transferring straight into the BSBA program? For the IT Management BSBA, would I still have to take all the LL requirements even with years of IT experience?

The doing anymore IT courses or certs I don't need makes my eyes bleed.

Thanks you all for your expertise. My education path has been a winding road.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Curious as to why you think an AS would prevent you from transferring into a BSBA program. All of the credits may not transfer, but that's true whether or not you have the AS degree. If it's a matter of taking an additional course or paying the graduation fee for the piece of paper stating that you have an AS, I would do the extra class and pay for the degree. If you have a great deal of courses left to complete an AS, then I would look at what you need for that and a BSBA and see which degrees would get you the most benefit meaning which AS degree has the most transferrable credit into the BSBA you want to do.
I'm waying the pro's and con's of bachelors options weighing time and value.

I'll be going in with a AS general studies + undergrad cert in CIS and I can get a business/finance cert and don't want to do any more classes I don't have to. 

WGU page says associate degree clears requirements and it sounds like if you just have a business degree you can go straight in. Another 15 courses gets me a full business degree instead of a business/finance certificate but if I don't have to take those that would be awesome. My thought process is an associates that is 50/50 IT/Business might allow me straight into the program.

If it's more effective for me just to take those few extra classes at ashworth i'll do that but I'd rather not do extra. If I have to I have to.

I think I might be answering my own question here. The business certificate is pretty much the same thing as WGU's LL business requirements. Thanks @ss20t

I think I might be answering my own question here. The business certificate is pretty much the same thing as WGU's LL business requirements. Thanks @ss20t

Don't forget about resources like study.com. They have a lot of business courses and are far cheaper than tuition.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • xicovu
WGU will take ANY AA/AS to meet the GE requirements. But just remember that you're trading 60cr for ~ 30cr - meaning your 60cr associates degree will grant you a waiver for ~30cr of GE at WGU. It's not a great tradeoff if you aren't going to use the AA for anything.

They will also use the AA credits towards any requirements you have met for the major/core/etc. So they "block" transfer the AA/AS, and then look at individual courses for the remaining requirements.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-29-2020, 04:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote: WGU will take ANY AA/AS to meet the GE requirements.  But just remember that you're trading 60cr for ~ 30cr - meaning your 60cr associates degree will grant you a waiver for ~30cr of GE at WGU.  It's not a great tradeoff if you aren't going to use the AA for anything.

They will also use the AA credits towards any requirements you have met for the major/core/etc.  So they "block" transfer the AA/AS, and then look at individual courses for the remaining requirements.

I didn't know that. That makes me just want to stick with Ashworth for the simplicity of it and get a WGU master's at some point instead for an RA cred. NA works for the forseable future so maybe it's worth it to speed my way up to the MS? 

Luckily the amount of work I'm doing for 60 is really only the work of 30 with the TEEX 10 credits and 18 i got from an undergrad cert.

Thanks dfrecore, I didn't know that.

If the associates is just a general studies associates or the associates is the same major as your bachelors degree, it isn't worth it. I mean you could get it, but no need to go out your way to earn it if get a bachelors degree.

WGU does grant all Gen Eds for an associates, but the same result would be true if you happened to have the gen eds done with no associates.

I don't know how an associates would prevent you from getting a bachelors from any school.

But if you end goal is a bachelors then just go straight to that, once you get a bachelors an associates doesn't carry much weight, especially if it is the same subject.
My thing is, if I get an Associate's degree I get a raise. I would get a raise with a Bachelor's as well, but negligibly so compared to an AS and a job related IT or Industrial automation cert + Associates would do the same thing. I'm much more motivated for an easy AS General Studies w/IT certificate then spending the time at WGU. My schedule isn't conducive to WGU's pay-per-term instead of pay-per-credit, making it hard to justify doing it if I can't transfer 60-90 credits.

Speed is more important for the AS short term. I won't need a BS at my current employer unless I want to be a technical architect, and NA doesn't matter. That's the options I'm weighing. Fast AS to pivot to WGU, or NA BS General Studies and then a Master's at WGU or APU if I find myself needing RA.

Thanks for the advise.

(06-29-2020, 06:44 PM)xicovu Wrote: My thing is, if I get an Associate's degree I get a raise. I would get a raise with a Bachelor's as well, but negligibly so compared to an AS and a job related IT or Industrial automation cert + Associates would do the same thing. I'm much more motivated for an easy AS General Studies w/IT certificate then spending the time at WGU. My schedule isn't conducive to WGU's pay-per-term instead of pay-per-credit, making it hard to justify doing it if I can't transfer 60-90 credits.

Speed is more important for the AS short term. I won't need a BS at my current employer unless I want to be a technical architect, and NA doesn't matter. That's the options I'm weighing. Fast AS to pivot to WGU, or NA BS General Studies and then a Master's at WGU or APU if I find myself needing RA.

Thanks for the advise.

Of course. Yes that is a very good reason for an associates. I guess just for people on this forum if they get an AS in business and then get a BS in Business the AS is unnecessary. But for a raise it makes total sense.

Also, I wasn't telling you what to do or anything. Some people want an associates degree for personal reasons and that is perfectly fine as well.

I guess it's just sometimes people on this fourm want to get an AS from one school and then BS from another and think that makes things faster and it doesn't. And the fact that an associates transferred to WGU doesn't help much, and you can just do all gen eds on your own.
Getting an AS gets you a pay raise? Get on that AS right now! Don't say no to a raise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business of IT - Project Management oram3189 6 476 02-18-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Business 324 or 113 study.com for BSBM Marsbar 4 355 11-23-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security? Oneautumn7 22 1,590 08-06-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Oneautumn7
  WGU Business Management - Any Grads? HBCIRCA14 7 1,190 02-22-2023, 05:22 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  WGU BS Business Administration Management - Transferrable Classes NOT on Study mohelena02 12 2,260 01-28-2022, 07:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice on WGU Business Management HorseManiac 5 2,326 06-29-2020, 12:25 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  WGU Business courses changed - not for the better dfrecore 13 3,671 06-28-2020, 05:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU changes to Business Undergrad starting March 1st 2020 AwardTour 9 2,623 12-30-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: terryd5150
  WGU Business Management Degree HELP fablestars 5 1,887 09-13-2018, 11:43 PM
  WGU’s Business Programs Now Accredited by the ACBSP jsd 2 4,156 05-10-2018, 11:05 PM