Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU BS Computer Science
(01-23-2021, 12:23 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 06:08 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Have you seen WGU Academy yet? $150/mo. for all-you-can-take classes that apply to a WGU degree.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WGU_Academy

https://academy.wgu.edu/program/it?degre...er-science

WGU Academy is just Straighterline. 

It's a repackaged flat-fee StraighterLine, yes. SL charges you for each class you take, in addition to the monthly fee. WGU Academy does not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I did look at WGU Academy. He has already taken the majority of the classes he could have used from WGU Academy at Sophia while it was free. (WGU did take all his Sophia credits, just nothing from the associates). I think the only one that would be useful would be Chemistry, and he's going to take Astronomy from InstantCert Credit instead.

As for just starting at WGU, I don't think he's accelerating fast enough for that to make sense. While I think he does have the ability to accelerate faster, I don't know if he actually would do it. He pretty much took the entire time Sophia had the classes free to complete the 6 he did. I'm hoping actually having to pay going forward will speed him up a little. We're going more for cheap > fast anyway, transfer as much as possible in then hopefully finish the rest in one term.

So far the plan is Astronomy and American Govt. from InstantCert Credit, a whole slew from SDC, and Saylor CS 102 (since I haven't seen anything else that covers Scripting and Programming Applications).
(01-29-2021, 03:39 AM)dischorde Wrote: I did look at WGU Academy. He has already taken the majority of the classes he could have used from WGU Academy at Sophia while it was free. (WGU did take all his Sophia credits, just nothing from the associates). I think the only one that would be useful would be Chemistry, and he's going to take Astronomy from InstantCert Credit instead.

As for just starting at WGU, I don't think he's accelerating fast enough for that to make sense. While I think he does have the ability to accelerate faster, I don't know if he actually would do it. He pretty much took the entire time Sophia had the classes free to complete the 6 he did. I'm hoping actually having to pay going forward will speed him up a little. We're going more for cheap > fast anyway, transfer as much as possible in then hopefully finish the rest in one term.

So far the plan is Astronomy and American Govt. from InstantCert Credit, a whole slew from SDC, and Saylor CS 102 (since I haven't seen anything else that covers Scripting and Programming Applications).

WGU Academy is Straighterline and it has a different transfer policy than Sophia. Something to keep in mind. You're going to be paying for classes at all of those different sources hoping they transfer to WGU. WGU doesn't have the greatest of transfer policies and acceptance rate. Many times it's just easier to take the courses at WGU. Having some easier courses helps when you have a lot of challenging ones.  
Not really, Sophia's have already been approved (he sent in his ACE transcript before the Acclaim switchover) so a different transfer policy is irrelevant. The Instant Cert Credit ones are the only ones that aren't on a transfer agreement for that specific provider (https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...142&pid=86, https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...769&pid=86). Additionally, I'm very confident Astronomy will transfer since WGU accepts ACE and the transfer guidelines for that class say "or any physical science chemistry, *astronomy*, physics, geology". American Government covers the right material and I expect it should transfer as well, even if not Instant Cert Credit is cheap.
(01-29-2021, 09:48 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 03:39 AM)dischorde Wrote: I did look at WGU Academy. He has already taken the majority of the classes he could have used from WGU Academy at Sophia while it was free. (WGU did take all his Sophia credits, just nothing from the associates). I think the only one that would be useful would be Chemistry, and he's going to take Astronomy from InstantCert Credit instead.

WGU Academy is Straighterline and it has a different transfer policy than Sophia. Something to keep in mind. You're going to be paying for classes at all of those different sources hoping they transfer to WGU. WGU doesn't have the greatest of transfer policies and acceptance rate. Many times it's just easier to take the courses at WGU. Having some easier courses helps when you have a lot of challenging ones.  

WGU may not have the best transfer policy but they have a whole page that shows all their guaranteed transfers form the likes of SDC, SL, WGU Academy(duh), Saylor, and others.

OP, you can complete the majority of the BSCS degree through SDC for an average of $100/class or less.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 377 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Computer Science Degree Needed lifted567 30 2,334 03-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 2 194 03-03-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer science for international student in 2024 Passa 6 360 02-27-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Passa
  Seeking Advice on Degree Plans: BS Computer Science, BS Cyber Security, and BA Human rutpun15 3 391 02-21-2024, 05:38 PM
  European seeking Computer Science or Math fcfcfc 11 630 01-20-2024, 04:52 PM
Question Help - Computer Science Degree Plan International Student JohnnyBazzinga 8 893 01-04-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Advice - BS Data science FullFocus 10 780 12-30-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Computer Science/Software Engineering - 2nd Try optimisticCoder3 29 1,559 11-16-2023, 10:32 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Computer science question emmaya 3 480 11-10-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: emmaya