Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU BS Cybersecurity need advice
Hello all, planning to start the WGU BSCIA program pretty soon. So far, I have finished 7 courses at Sophia.org and will attempt my final class there, Introduction to relational databases. Afterwards...

I have identified 5 possible courses to take at Study.com
  • C768 - English 305
  • C963 - Political Science 102
  • C173 - Computer Science 109
  • C170 - Computer Science 204
  • C840 - Computer Science 320 or Computer Science 336 or Computer Science 335

Please share your experiences and tips with taking these classes at SDC. Is this a good plan?

Classes I plan on taking at WGU:
  • English Comp II and critical thinking & logic (humanities 201) as recommended by others due to many assignments.
  • C961 Ethics in Technology
  • C846 Business of IT - applications (ITIL cert)
  • C839 Introduction to cryptography
  • C838 Managing cloud security (CCSP cert)
  • C844 Emerging technologies in cybersecurity
  • C393 & C394 (A+ cert)
  • D153 Penetration testing (Pentest+ cert)
  • C769 IT Capstone

Any reason to try and knock some of these certs out before starting or no? Please also share any tips on taking these courses/certs. Thanks in advance!
Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes WGUcyberguy's post:
  • origamishuttle
Ethics in Technology is also a DSST exam, if you have access to be able to take that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The A+ Cert (2 exams) is supposedly fairly difficult in that it's quite a lot of information - so my advice on that one is to consider taking it through WGU-Academy instead. You pay $150/mo, and they will give you a voucher to take both exams. This will ensure that you don't eat up a lot of your WGU term for these 2 exams.

This assumes that you're not ready to pass the Certs - if you are already here, then by all means, enroll at WGU instead.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
(07-30-2022, 01:25 AM)WGUcyberguy Wrote: C173 - Computer Science 109

C173 is very easy at WGU. You can check it out here: https://www.edx.org/course/scripting-and...oundations
If you can pass the practice easily, then you can also pass the final/objective assessment (OA).

(07-30-2022, 01:25 AM)WGUcyberguy Wrote: C839 Introduction to cryptography

The ECES cert seems to be easier than the C839 OA. If work pays for it, then you should take the cert and transfer it to WGU. Otherwise, it may not be worth it. If you go for the cert, these practice tests help: https://www.udemy.com/course/ec-council-...tice-exam/ (should be $14.99 or less - use private browser session if necessary)

(07-30-2022, 01:25 AM)WGUcyberguy Wrote: Please also share any tips on taking these courses/certs. Thanks in advance!
Big Grin

Join the discord! https://discord.com/invite/unwgu The #cybersec-info-assurance channel has a pinned degree plan with more advice, and there are lots of people willing to answer questions.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
The CLEP English Comp is the easiest way to knock out English Comp I & II

I did also hear Critical Thinking & Logic is easier at WGU. 

Intro to Programming you can do at Sophia. It's not yet on the transfer list though that doesn't mean it won't transfer.

You might want to try to knock out certificates beforehand to make it easier to complete the degree when you start WGU and if you were trying to do the degree in one term or as few terms as possible. 

https://partners.wgu.edu/transferguidelines

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
(07-30-2022, 10:21 AM)LevelUP Wrote: The CLEP English Comp is the easiest way to knock out English Comp I & II

Would you recommend Modern States https://modernstates.org/course/college-composition/ or any other resources?

(07-30-2022, 10:21 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Intro to Programming you can do at Sophia.

I don't recommend taking it anywhere other than WGU. It's a single test that most can pass with no/little studying.
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
(07-30-2022, 10:29 AM)origamishuttle Wrote: Would you recommend Modern States https://modernstates.org/course/college-composition/ or any other resources?

Modern States will give you the free vocher. I would run through it in like 2-4hrs at most, then use Peterson's master the CLEP as the guide to study for College Comp. 

Practice making outlines and writing a couple of essays. The test is pretty easy, but you can run out of time if you are not careful.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
Lot's of great info. Thank you so much everyone!

(07-30-2022, 09:58 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The A+ Cert (2 exams) is supposedly fairly difficult in that it's quite a lot of information

I have an expired A+ and I took the exams a decade ago. Did the exams get more challenging over time?
[-] The following 1 user Likes WGUcyberguy's post:
  • origamishuttle
Depending on how long ago you took it, it is likely to have increased in difficulty. Check out the exam blueprint on the CompTIA site to see if you have familiarity with the current topics or if you need to focus on any areas for additional study.

That being said, A+ is still an entry level cert so if you have an IT background it's probably not all that difficult. Just don't go in blind.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 2 users Like jsd's post:
  • MNomadic, origamishuttle
(07-30-2022, 11:17 AM)WGUcyberguy Wrote: I have an expired A+ and I took the exams a decade ago. Did the exams get more challenging over time?

You should probably just take it at WGU to save time and money.

(07-30-2022, 11:17 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Modern States will give you the free vocher. I would run through it in like 2-4hrs at most, then use Peterson's master the CLEP as the guide to study for College Comp. 

Practice making outlines and writing a couple of essays. The test is pretty easy, but you can run out of time if you are not careful.

This is great advice - thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Transferring Sophia Courses SophiaPrincess 32 4,767 06-20-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Google Cybersecurity Professional Certificate LevelUP 5 1,335 06-15-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  English Composition 2 Help/Advice dreamarts 20 4,535 09-27-2022, 10:42 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Intro to Cybersecurity - Upper level NewatTESU 5 1,099 04-22-2022, 02:44 PM
Last Post: NewatTESU
  Any advice on taking Study.com's Finance 301: Corporate Finance? cdickerson0601 6 1,341 11-17-2021, 01:54 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice needed - looking to earn CS credits jonsnow 20 6,595 08-04-2021, 01:23 AM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  TEEX cybersecurity courses taken down? StoicJ 6 1,167 12-19-2020, 04:12 AM
Last Post: innen_oda
  Newbie Guidance & Advice mrey11 7 1,142 01-30-2020, 07:03 AM
Last Post: mrey11
  Picking between two classes at SL - Advice needed. Not_a_robot_101 7 1,171 01-29-2020, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Not_a_robot_101
  Need advice on Study.com and WGU courses nosideedison 11 4,539 11-21-2019, 05:17 PM
Last Post: nosideedison