Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU - BSCS
Because there are a lot more courses in the AOS, while they could be fulfilled with Gen ed courses at TESU. I know that goes both ways as was alluded to here, possibly a less useful degree from TESU. I should also research what the Capstone is like at WGU. Presumably quite different from the one at TESU?
(03-06-2018, 01:48 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Because there are a lot more courses in the AOS, while they could be fulfilled with Gen ed courses at TESU. I know that goes both ways as was alluded to here, possibly a less useful degree from TESU. I should also research what the Capstone is like at WGU. Presumably quite different from the one at TESU?

I've been planning on earning a BACS from Tesu but this new offering from WGU has completely changed my mind. This program is much, much better than Tesu's. We can assume that WGU's pricing for this program will be similar to its BS in Software Development; which is currently $3190 per 6-month term. With fees, it's really about $3500 to $3600. That puts it at around $7000 if it takes you a year or $10,500 if you go 18 months. Additionally, it's been reported that this program will eventually be ABET accredited. While it's not a major thing as far as job prospects go, it does signal that the program is rigorous and thoroughly evaluated.
It also looks like the Capstone is a CS project rather than a research paper, which most programmers would much rather do. I probably would have picked it had it been available, as I could have run through courses rapidly rather than having to take five 12 week courses and fuss with the PLA process.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-06-2018, 01:48 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Because there are a lot more courses in the AOS, while they could be fulfilled with Gen ed courses at TESU. I know that goes both ways as was alluded to here, possibly a less useful degree from TESU. I should also research what the Capstone is like at WGU. Presumably quite different from the one at TESU?

Like I said, this is a better degree (and probably cheaper as well).  It's a win-win.  So much more comprehensive than TESU's.  Obviously, if you have tons of credits in Gen Ed, then you're going to want to get a TESU or Big 3 degree, but if you don't, or want some more meaningful courses under your belt, WGU is the way to go.  For any employer who wants to see a transcript, and sees 75% of the degree is in CS and related courses, they will be much more impressed than a TESU degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the food for thought. We might also reconsider...
(03-06-2018, 12:42 PM)Sapientes Wrote: Since its not official, things can change. But I did find where the following two courses reference being used for certification prep.

Web Development Foundations:  This course prepares students for the CIW Site Development Associate certification.
Business of IT - Project Management :   This course prepares students for the following certification exam: CompTIA Project+.

All-in-all, looks like a solid program!! Super excited!!

I don't think anyone outside of WGU has heard of CIW. Project+ isn't that sought after either.

But like I said, it would make sense why this program may end up not relying so much on certs. I don't think that's the wrong move.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(03-06-2018, 06:23 PM)jsd Wrote: I don't think anyone outside of WGU has heard of CIW. Project+ isn't that sought after either.

But like I said, it would make sense why this program may end up not relying so much on certs. I don't think that's the wrong move.

I don't think certs are that useful for a CS major, not like IT.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm actually considering this program. I should be able to clear 50% of it with my current degree, plus some more from alt. sources and my CC. Then, if I do well enough, jump into the GIA OMSCS program.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Personally I'm hoping GA Tech rolls out their Cybersecurity masters program soon. If it isn't out by the end of the year, I'll probably do WGU's MBA-IT in 2019 and (hopefully) GA Tech in 2020-2021.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Looks promising. Now I need to see what the transfer guide looks like for this program. for me, it looks like a two term program minimum. I'm basing that off of my experience and current commitments with possibly knocking off some easy transfer credits prior to enrolling.
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU BSCS updating its curriculum on June 1st frankc 6 1,368 08-09-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  how rigorous is the WGU BSCS? sciencemathematics1 2 1,944 06-18-2020, 11:49 PM
Last Post: bluebooger