Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Business courses changed - not for the better
(06-26-2020, 04:23 PM)natshar Wrote: Apparently all these changes were made March 1st. They haven't changed anything since then I think. I guess didn't notice it until now. But maybe I'm wrong.

They made changes on the main part of their website, but they didn't have all of the info on the transfer guidelines back then.  They also didn't have the transfer equivalency pages for SL and Study.com updated until recently.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • natshar
Were any changes made to the MBA programs? *Sigh* I was looking for an MBA to work through relatively quickly.
(06-28-2020, 09:27 AM)JWells247 Wrote: Were any changes made to the MBA programs? *Sigh* I was looking for an MBA to work through relatively quickly.

What they did in the BS business degrees is fold most of the independent business degrees into focus areas of their BSBA degree. WGU has not restructured the MBA programs in that way. WGU still offers a regular MBA, plus MBA's in Healthcare Management and IT Management.

Course wise, they make changes to all their degree programs from time-to-time but they are generally improvements. I know of several changes to the MBA program specifically, but I agree with all of those changes.

As for getting through an MBA quickly. I've stated this before but it has been a while... keep in mind that quickly is very subjective, especially at WGU. Most people finish their WGU MBA program in 3-4 terms (1-1/2 to 2 years). However, it can be completed more quickly for people who already have significant experience in business management and/or a ton of free time to devote to study. Only a small number of people are able to successfully accelerate at WGU, especially in graduate degrees. But the problem is that accelerators tend to be more vocal and like to brag... this gives prospective students the impression that accelerating is the norm. It isn't.

I mention this mainly because there are always people posting on the WGU accelerators forums or on Reddit complaining and/or beating themselves up for being dumb because they signed up thinking they could complete everything in a few months only to find out that it is not easy. Now they are stuck paying for multiple terms they didn't budget for. Some will then ask how to cheat since they assume that is how the other accelerators are doing it. Some of those people end up dropping out and spending their time trash-talking the school for being a degree mill for cheaters, etc.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(06-28-2020, 04:16 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(06-28-2020, 09:27 AM)JWells247 Wrote: Were any changes made to the MBA programs? *Sigh* I was looking for an MBA to work through relatively quickly.

As for getting through an MBA quickly. I've stated this before but it has been a while... keep in mind that quickly is very subjective, especially at WGU. Most people finish their WGU MBA program in 3-4 terms (1-1/2 to 2 years). However, it can be completed more quickly for people who already have significant experience in business management and/or a ton of free time to devote to study. Only a small number of people are able to successfully accelerate at WGU, especially in graduate degrees. But the problem is that accelerators tend to be more vocal and like to brag... this gives prospective students the impression that accelerating is the norm. It isn't.

I mention this mainly because there are always people posting on the WGU accelerators forums or on Reddit complaining and/or beating themselves up for being dumb because they signed up thinking they could complete everything in a few months only to find out that it is not easy. Now they are stuck paying for multiple terms they didn't budget for. Some will then ask how to cheat since they assume that is how the other accelerators are doing it. Some of those people end up dropping out and spending their time trash-talking the school for being a degree mill for cheaters, etc.

I agree, and think that for the majority of people, you can get an MBA for less than WGU if it's going to take 2-4 terms.  There are plenty of MBA programs in the $10k-$15k range where you don't have to accelerate through, and can still get it in a reasonable timeframe. Both traditional programs like WNMU, ENMU, and FHSU where you go a semester at a time; and schools like APU/AMU where you 1 course at a time, for 8-week terms if you really want/need to customize it (like if you have more time seasonally, or want to travel, or just want to take time off between courses) and finish in 2 years, or really speed things up with 2-3 8-week courses at a time, to finish in just over 6 months to 1 year.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 151 Yesterday, 12:35 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Business of IT - Project Management oram3189 6 484 02-18-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: raekwon
  Business 324 or 113 study.com for BSBM Marsbar 4 356 11-23-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Career Question, Business Management or Cyber Security? Oneautumn7 22 1,596 08-06-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Oneautumn7
  Where can you take courses from study.com that are not longer accepted for CS major? whiverem 11 1,288 06-13-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: whiverem
  WGU Business Management - Any Grads? HBCIRCA14 7 1,194 02-22-2023, 05:22 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  WGU Remaining Courses Indy73 6 1,303 11-13-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Getting courses not listed on partners.wgu approved/appealed--any success stories? raekwon 5 1,793 06-07-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Are WGU courses easier/faster than SL/SDC? AW84 11 6,995 02-27-2022, 01:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU BS Business Administration Management - Transferrable Classes NOT on Study mohelena02 12 2,261 01-28-2022, 07:18 PM
Last Post: LevelUP