Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Changes to Residency Credit Requirements
Hey, did you all notice that there have been some major changes to the Residency Requirements?  Meaning the amount of credits transferable and Non-Transferable has changed drastically!  Some degrees only have a Capstone Requirement (4 credits)!  Does this mean that WGU now has become part of the Big 3?  I think we may need to look into this further!  Can someone who is a student or alumni verify this?  Please!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680
(06-22-2020, 02:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, did you all notice that there have been some major changes to the Residency Requirements?  Meaning the amount of credits transferable and Non-Transferable has changed drastically!  Some degrees only have a Capstone Requirement (4 credits)!  Does this mean that WGU now has become part of the Big 3?  I think we may need to look into this further!  Can someone who is a student or alumni verify this?  Please!

But either way unless they change their policy to make more than 90 credits transferred that wouldn't change much.

Also, some of WGUs degrees have courses that I have never seen via alt credit. So even though they aren't required at WGU, you can't find them anywhere else so you will end up taking them at WGU in the end.

Interesting news though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • akr680
Yes, and that's the reason I'm asking. If they've changed their requirements around for residency, they may have changed the number of residency credits required as well. I think they still need 25% of the degree requirements completed from WGU, but wanted to make sure. I don't think it would have changed, but who knows.

This would be great for individuals going for say an IT degree. Get all the general education requirements completed and leave out the Certs/IT courses for WGU to pick up the tab on those certs, not much has changed, it's just that it'll be more flexible if they do allow other courses to be transferred in, may save time too... I'd like to see what changes there are if any.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Life_One
I know that for some of the business degrees, they changed it and won't take up to 42cr in transfer. I would think those would be almost impossible to complete in a single term.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the update, I'll follow this thread. If I learn anything more, I'll contribute!
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
(06-22-2020, 02:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, did you all notice that there have been some major changes to the Residency Requirements?  Meaning the amount of credits transferable and Non-Transferable has changed drastically!  Some degrees only have a Capstone Requirement (4 credits)!  Does this mean that WGU now has become part of the Big 3?  I think we may need to look into this further!  Can someone who is a student or alumni verify this?  Please!

I've been chatting with the WGU admissions folks quite a bit lately, and from what I can tell nothing has really changed since I attended last year, except in regards to specific degree requirements. The school itself still requires at least 30 CU (25% of the degree) to be taken at WGU, with some degrees requiring a few more courses to be taken from WGU directly. The rest can be transferred in if you have the right courses or certifications.

All the WGU degrees require the Capstone to be taken from WGU of course, but some degree programs require additional courses. As Dfrecore mentioned earlier, they recently changed the BSBA so it now requires all of the courses in the major to be taken from WGU directly, plus the Capstone of course. That amounts to 11 courses (36cu) for the Business Admin Management degree, though some of the other BSBA sub degrees may require more. It was better before, but 11 courses can still be knocked out in a single term as long as the student can complete at least 3 courses every 2 months or so. Individually, most courses seem like they can be completed in the same time frame at WGU as they can at places like Study.com or StraighterLine. A lot of the accelerators report being able to complete 2-3 courses per month or more.

Luckily, WGU hasn't made similar changes to the IT side as they have to the business side... yet. The BSCS still requires students to take Data Structures & Algorithms II and Discrete Mathematics II (plus the Capstone), but the BSSD and BSCSIA do not require anything more than the Capstone itself.

All this really means is that people need to look at the transfer guide to figure out what courses must be taken from WGU, just as they did before. If the required courses total to less than 30 CU, then they have the freedom to determine which of the balance of courses they plan to take from WGU to complete the 25% residency requirement. The rest can be planned out to be taken from CLEP or ACE providers, etc. and transferred in.

Either way, this doesn't really make WGU qualify to be part of the Big 3 (not that there is a Big 3 anymore) since they don't allow you to transfer in 114+ credits towards a degree. IMO, we really only have a Big 2 now considering that COSC really only allows 90 credits to be transferred in for people starting without RA credits.

Maybe if you count COSC as 1/2 of a big 3 school and WGU as the other 1/2 of school, together they can bump it back up to a Big 3. Wink
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • akr680, GizmoJack

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 120 11 hours ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,075 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does any WGU program give credit for passing any FINRA exams? MaMichelle 1 668 10-25-2022, 06:09 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  General education requirements akr680 5 1,544 08-23-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: akr680
  $500 tuition credit for new students only rachel83az 8 1,917 06-24-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: carebear_007
  Maximize WGU 90 credit transfer policy mdel210201 4 4,911 11-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Taking courses at WGU not part of my degree program? And credit by examination sciencemathematics1 19 7,336 08-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  Time limit on cert credit for WGU? reylok 4 1,316 04-08-2020, 07:46 PM
Last Post: reylok
  How long is your credit eval good for Tlm 4 1,552 06-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Tlm
  WGU course requirements monroe18 2 1,174 06-19-2019, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Merlin