• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Comp Sci Bachelors Advice
Your Location
Maine, USA.
Your Age
What kind of degree do you want?
Bachelors in Computer Science.
Current Regional Accredited Credits
See Google Sheets document here. I have two associates degrees and have taken a few classes at a local university also.
Budget
I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments
Spouse and 32 hour/week job. 
Dedicated time to study
I plan to study mostly on my days off (3 days/week). I can sometimes study at work, but I never know how slow or busy my day will be. I'd estimate I can consistently put in 15 hours per week, sometimes more if it is slow at work.
Timeline
I'd ideally like to finish within one year max.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement
We get some meager pittance for reimbursement at my work, but it needs to be supervisor approved and clearly serve the business, so I don't think I would qualify as a radiologic technologist looking to switch over to the IT realm.

Please provide any relevant details you may have that may help us determine a option or path for you to investigate, such as your preference towards either test-out (you're a great test taker) or competency based education (because you like assessments, assignments and have test anxiety).  What other details you provide us can help determine your course of action suited for your educational journey...
I am an excellent test taker, so testing out of credits would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!
Ah you've done the template and addendum, short and simple, so I was correct in the previous thread, you've got those to exact associate degrees. You've changed your mind from the UMPI BLS MIS to the WGU CS degree and have a spreadsheet of your previous credits... Nice, you should try mapping out the degree by using the partners.wgu.edu webpage and plug in Sophia.org/Study.com and others into your spreadsheet. The max is 90 credits transferred in, but not all courses have alternative credit equivalents, you'll be very close though.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Make sure you apply to WGU(free) and send your current transcripts before taking on new classes so you can properly map what you have left.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(10-23-2022, 03:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ah you've done the template and addendum, short and simple, so I was correct in the previous thread, you've got those to exact associate degrees.  You've changed your mind from the UMPI BLS MIS to the WGU CS degree and have a spreadsheet of your previous credits... Nice, you should try mapping out the degree by using the partners.wgu.edu webpage and plug in Sophia.org/Study.com and others into your spreadsheet.  The max is 90 credits transferred in, but not all courses have alternative credit equivalents, you'll be very close though.
Hi again bjcheung77. Yes, that's correct. I decided the MIS was not for me. CS seems to be a more valuable degree. I saw on that partners.org site something about how having a prior associates degree may waive the gen ed credits for the bachelor's. Do you know if that's true?

(10-23-2022, 05:27 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Make sure you apply to WGU(free) and send your current transcripts before taking on new classes so you can properly map what you have left.
Is it safe to do that with WGU? I know with UMPI, people recommend not applying until you've done all your Sophia/SDC classes because otherwise they may not accept them, so that's they only reason I haven't applied to WGU yet.
Yes it's safe to apply to WGU. They have transfer pages showing exactly how Sophia, SDC, etc courses will transfer.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Make sure you do your classes on Study and Sophia before starting or else you can't take them after you start WGU
TESU - BA CS
[-] The following 2 users Like inf's post:
  • ss20ts, _ghostimage
(10-24-2022, 09:54 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Yes it's safe to apply to WGU. They have transfer pages showing exactly how Sophia, SDC, etc courses will transfer.

Great, thank you. I just applied!
Here's the guide that will tell you more info about the degree, including info on your AA: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/BSCS.aspx

Here's how different course providers come in:
Saylor ($5 exams): https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...769&pid=86
Study.com: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...142&pid=86
Sophia: https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...062&pid=86
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 193 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 125 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Associates after Bachelors? 2nd Bachelors aslhou 16 557 03-25-2024, 08:41 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 370 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 17 1,020 03-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Advice: Associates Chilow 14 1,274 03-17-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Look for advice about choosing CS degree Humphrey141 2 207 03-12-2024, 01:53 PM
Last Post: davewill
Big Grin Degree Planning Advice - Pierpont to UMPI or WGU ElBert 11 547 03-11-2024, 07:02 PM