Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Layoffs
rachel83az Wrote:This person is using a unique IP address. The IP address does not appear to be a VPN/proxy. There are no other users using the same IP address.

Thanks for letting us know. I don't think the new user is here to "argue or slander" they're just here to make a personal view, a point that some may and may not agree with. I have read on many forums and through reddit, people are feeling the pinch with many other schools, such as SNHU, it's not just a WGU problem.

JusticeNamaste Wrote:"What is the point of engaging" - well, for starters, it's better to agree to disagree as it at least gets people talking, you know?

Yes, that's one of many ways to start a conversation I guess. I know where you're coming from, basically when I first looked at the Big 3 - many years ago, they had the option to transfer all 120 credits into the degree. I would have never chosen any of the Big 3 for that fact alone, I was one of a few that thought they were very close to being diploma mill'ish. Basically, once they started instituting the capstone, I started looking at them again and decided on TESU when they became an Univ...

Schools change due to regulations and a need to conform to accreditation standards, for schools that don't conform or can't conform, they lose that accreditation, I believe in the "accreditation system". With the addition of ACE credits, I decided to jump in, as I don't test well due to a mild case of anxiety, indecisiveness, and stress that's associated when I am in an "exam" environment. With ACE, and the ability to do the exam at home, I was able to accumulate many more credits than I've ever had the chance to.

I've applied to WGU since 2012 but never really went with them or enrolled with them, I also applied to SNHU as well. I've read many things for SNHU, example, none of their courses have proctored exams, even if they did have exams, they're non-proctored. Many courses provided are just assignments... So, how do they keep students from cheating? They use system in place similar to TurnItIn! Again, I "trust" these schools to adjust to the educational climate of what is needed and required to help students learn, excel, perform well.

What I am trying to say is, WGU has many shortcomings, but they're not a diploma mill. Just like SNHU, they go through accreditation reviews every several year intervals. I put trust in the accreditation system and believe the ones operating are doing so to specific guidelines, and those who aren't are placed on probation. WGU has gone through many years of improvement since they started, I actually recommend them and still do... they're not for me at the undergrad level, but my next Masters I have my eyes on their MSML!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • collegechick
(07-14-2021, 10:44 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
collegechick Wrote:I also was employed at the now defunct Jones International University.  That school was a mismanaged, unprofessional mess that conducted illegal behavior far worse than what I'm reading about WGU.  I had a supervisor who encouraged me not to process payment invoices for professors!  This was just one example.  They also hemorrhaged people before closing the doors.

Really?? Nostalgia!  I was taking a course at Jones International University when they closed, it was part of a grad cert in Business.  A good thing I didn't have to continue with them...  I thought they were pretty good from the "outside" looking in.  I mean they even had a learning platform that would rival Moodle and was selling that platform to other colleges/universities.  Heck, at one point in time, I thought they would really rival SNHU and WGU, but I guess what we see on the outside is just the tip of the iceberg.

So, how does that cert work?  Is some other entity verifying it for you?

JIU was one of the worst companies I'd worked for in my career.  Even though I worked with Ph.D's, they were some of the dumbest people devoid of any business sense whatsoever.  They hemorrhaged money on videographer fees for graduation ceremonies, yet data analytics showed no one watched the videos.  During department meetings, no one wanted to save the school or cut back on unnecessary expenses.  They'd hire temps, costing more money than just directly hiring employees.  All around it was a mismanaged, bad environment.  Hey, I think I smell a case study I can write about during my MSML!  Smile

(07-14-2021, 03:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
rachel83az Wrote:This person is using a unique IP address. The IP address does not appear to be a VPN/proxy. There are no other users using the same IP address.

Thanks for letting us know.  I don't think the new user is here to "argue or slander" they're just here to make a personal view, a point that some may and may not agree with.  I have read on many forums and through reddit, people are feeling the pinch with many other schools, such as SNHU, it's not just a WGU problem.

JusticeNamaste Wrote:"What is the point of engaging"  - well, for starters, it's better to agree to disagree as it at least gets people talking, you know?

Yes, that's one of many ways to start a conversation I guess.  I know where you're coming from, basically when I first looked at the Big 3 - many years ago, they had the option to transfer all 120 credits into the degree.  I would have never chosen any of the Big 3 for that fact alone, I was one of a few that thought they were very close to being diploma mill'ish.  Basically, once they started instituting the capstone, I started looking at them again and decided on TESU when they became an Univ...  

Schools change due to regulations and a need to conform to accreditation standards, for schools that don't conform or can't conform, they lose that accreditation, I believe in the "accreditation system".  With the addition of ACE credits, I decided to jump in, as I don't test well due to a mild case of anxiety, indecisiveness, and stress that's associated when I am in an "exam" environment.  With ACE, and the ability to do the exam at home, I was able to accumulate many more credits than I've ever had the chance to.

I've applied to WGU since 2012 but never really went with them or enrolled with them, I also applied to SNHU as well.  I've read many things for SNHU, example, none of their courses have proctored exams, even if they did have exams, they're non-proctored.  Many courses provided are just assignments... So, how do they keep students from cheating? They use system in place similar to TurnItIn!  Again, I "trust" these schools to adjust to the educational climate of what is needed and required to help students learn, excel, perform well.

What I am trying to say is, WGU has many shortcomings, but they're not a diploma mill.  Just like SNHU, they go through accreditation reviews every several year intervals.  I put trust in the accreditation system and believe the ones operating are doing so to specific guidelines, and those who aren't are placed on probation.  WGU has gone through many years of improvement since they started, I actually recommend them and still do... they're not for me at the undergrad level, but my next Masters I have my eyes on their MSML!

Good points about the proctored exams.  Rachel83AZ mentioned that in this thread about the proctored exams at WGU, yet TESU/Study.com all required spyware on the computer for test-taking.  Unfortunately, it's just part of online schooling.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
(07-14-2021, 03:32 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

Thanks for letting us know.  I don't think the new user is here to "argue or slander" they're just here to make a personal view, a point that some may and may not agree with.  I have read on many forums and through reddit, people are feeling the pinch with many other schools, such as SNHU, it's not just a WGU problem.

JusticeNamaste Wrote:"What is the point of engaging"  - well, for starters, it's better to agree to disagree as it at least gets people talking, you know?

Yes, that's one of many ways to start a conversation I guess.  I know where you're coming from, basically when I first looked at the Big 3 - many years ago, they had the option to transfer all 120 credits into the degree.  I would have never chosen any of the Big 3 for that fact alone, I was one of a few that thought they were very close to being diploma mill'ish.  Basically, once they started instituting the capstone, I started looking at them again and decided on TESU when they became an Univ...  

Schools change due to regulations and a need to conform to accreditation standards, for schools that don't conform or can't conform, they lose that accreditation, I believe in the "accreditation system".  With the addition of ACE credits, I decided to jump in, as I don't test well due to a mild case of anxiety, indecisiveness, and stress that's associated when I am in an "exam" environment.  With ACE, and the ability to do the exam at home, I was able to accumulate many more credits than I've ever had the chance to.

I've applied to WGU since 2012 but never really went with them or enrolled with them, I also applied to SNHU as well.  I've read many things for SNHU, example, none of their courses have proctored exams, even if they did have exams, they're non-proctored.  Many courses provided are just assignments... So, how do they keep students from cheating? They use system in place similar to TurnItIn!  Again, I "trust" these schools to adjust to the educational climate of what is needed and required to help students learn, excel, perform well.

What I am trying to say is, WGU has many shortcomings, but they're not a diploma mill.  Just like SNHU, they go through accreditation reviews every several year intervals.  I put trust in the accreditation system and believe the ones operating are doing so to specific guidelines, and those who aren't are placed on probation.  WGU has gone through many years of improvement since they started, I actually recommend them and still do... they're not for me at the undergrad level, but my next Masters I have my eyes on their MSML!

Thank you for your thoughtful reply to me Smile

I do agree that there is no perfect school and again, it is always an individual choice.

As for SNHU I worked there as an adjunct online instructor and their business practices are dubious at best.  I think that ultimately, whatever works for you or for anyone is always the best choice.  I wish you much success in your educational endeavors.
Al you have to do is go to Glassdoor.com and read the reviews of WGU to know it's steadily declining:

Turning education into an ego fueled, tyrant worshipping cult
Jul 13, 2021 - Program Mentor

Pros

It’s still built on the foundation put in place by better people.

Cons

Where to begin…

Our president gladly and publicly takes victory laps for any win. Conversely, he manages to avoid any responsibility for failure. Failure, of course, being something we see a lot of recently.

WGU *used* to have the goal of becoming a great place to work. The most recent surveys removed any ability to provide feedback for anyone at the executive level. It’s nice working somewhere that holds me accountable for a student’s experience outside of my direct interaction, but then keeps me from passing that feedback along.

Additionally, WGU is hiring VPs like they’re going out of style. 1/4 of business mentors were fired, but we still need to hire people who muck up our processes, defer blame and never have meaningful interactions. Our president also made a comment about our biggest problem being the need to hire more executives to meet demand….demand *he* placed on us.

Every day is a new exercise in navigating IT issues, students manipulated into attending, cutbacks, changed degree programs and virtue signaling.

You can see in the other reviews the massive firings that occurred. Scott emails his opinions on every social and political issue. This is wrong for a number of reasons. How come he’s been silent on the firings?

Advice to Management

What does it matter. They only listen to the flatterers. WGU needs to collapse and be reset by true educators, not petty individuals with fragile egos. Stop with the politics.
What a coincidence, another new account out of the woodwork to do a WGU driveby.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • AwardTour, collegechick, MNomadic
(07-19-2021, 10:33 PM)jsd Wrote: What a coincidence, another new account out of the woodwork to do a WGU driveby.
Oh I'm sorry maybe some of us are still WGU employees that don't want our accounts/identities to be known....
Wonderful 2021 all hands meeting today...rah rah rah, everything's great no mention of the 160 people let go, no mention of bonuses...

Must be nice with that $1 million salary Scott that you can't afford to give your employees a living wage/bonus but can fire 160 employees and raise tuition across the board.
The truth hurts.

[Image: MJJDrgQ.jpg]
This is a VERY interesting thread…I was considering WGU for my MBA….I don’t want to go to a place that doesn’t at least pass the smell test of “not scam”. Are there any updates on this situation?
Community College: College Success Skills | Gen. Psychology | Span 1 | Eng. 101 | Accounting 1 | Accounting 2 | Comp Skills

Study.com Scholarship: Per. Finance | Prin. of Marketing | Digi. Mark. & Advertising | HR Manage. | Prin. of Finance

The Institutes: Ethics

Sophia: Proj. Management

Straighterline:​ Survey of World History | Principles of Management | MacroEco. | MicroEco. | American Gov | US History 1 | US History 2 | Western Civ 1 | Western Civ 2 | Business Law | Intro to Religion | Cultural Anthropology | Intro to Environ. Science | Intro to Soc

ALEKS: Inter. Algebra | College Algebra | Intro to Stats

TEEX: Cyber 101 | Cyber 201 | Cyber 301

NFA: Fire Service Supervision: Self Study

Certified: Six Sigma Yellow Belt [8 PDU]
(10-30-2021, 02:57 AM)Toastmaster Wrote: This is a VERY interesting thread…I was considering WGU for my MBA….I don’t  want to go to a place that doesn’t at least pass the smell test of “not scam”.  Are there any updates on this situation?
I just completed the MSML program and can guarantee this place is NOT a diploma mill or a scam. I had many assignments returned to me for revisions before  I could pass. There were several tests that were difficult to pass on which required several attempts.

Highly recommend this school. Love their competency- self-paced format and regional accreditation. Teachers, mentor, student services, and IT always resolved any issue or answered my question quickly. 

I also read this thread just as I was about to start. Glad I did not listen and asked questions directly to the school.  Anymore questions I'm happy to answer.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant