Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA IT Management - The Journey from the Beginning to the End
(10-16-2018, 02:00 PM)Kima Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 09:26 PM)albinosmurf Wrote: I finished Orientation today and got the first peak at my Degree Plan.
First things first, I need to fix my class list. Below is the order of the classes I am hoping to take them in. I still need to have my first meeting with my program mentor to approve this.

My idea is to finish the first class in a week. The capstone takes 4-6 weeks. The rest of the classes I hope to finish within 2 weeks each, on average.

CLASSES

O        C202:   Managing Human Capital
P        C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People
P         C212:   Marketing
P         C206:   Ethical Leadership
O        C211:   Global Economics for Managers
P         MMT2: IT Strategic Solutions
P        MGT2:   IT Project Management
O        C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers
O        C214:   Financial Management
P + O  C207:   Data-Driven Decision Making
P         C218:   MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone

Welcome to the club!  Just curious, how did you decide the order of your courses?  I've just been taking them in the order my mentor recommends.  

Here's what I've completed so far:
C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People - 24 pages - 4 days
MGT2:  IT Project Management - 45 pages - 10 days
C202:   Managing Human Capital - OA - 3 days
C212:   Marketing - 12 pages - 7 days
C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers - OA - 13 days
C206:   Ethical Leadership - 25 pages - 5 days

Hoping to finish these by the end of the year:
C214:   Financial Management - OA - In progress
C207:   Data-Driven Decision Making
MMT2:  IT Strategic Solutions
C211:   Global Economics for Managers

That will leave me two months to complete the capstone in order to finish in one term.  At this point it does seem doable.

Wow! Excellent work Kima. That is impressive finishing 6 classes in 6 weeks. One class per week average.

So the term started yesterday, November 1st.
I took the PA 10 days before the class started and studied the coaching report to focus on areas of study most beneficial.
I passed the PA (Practice Assessment) the first try, but only by the skin of my teeth (I got a 67%, and a passing score is 67%).
I started studying C202 about ten days ago and on day 1 I retook the PA to see how much I improved - I scored a 90%.
So later that night I took the OA and I passed. Yay!
I will say the OA was more difficult than the PA - I was not confident while taking the test and I was crossing fingers that I answered enough correctly to pass.
My main concern was if I failed, how would I go about restudying to ensure I could pass the second try. The questions were difficult enough, but it would be hard to figure out a plan to study the material in a way that prepared for those questions.
Luckily I don't have to restudy and this class is done.

** When you take your first proctored exam, give yourself plenty of time. It took Examity 60 full minutes to solve a technical problem with my connection. My exam was supposed to start a 7pm and I actually started at 8 pm due to tremendous technical problems. I don't think the technical issues were on my computer, but rather on Examity's side. I did a practice proctored exam at 5:30 pm and it worked without issue. So be prepared. Luckily for me I had nothing but time.

I will say that after spending a full hour troubleshooting with them, it increased my stress levels for taking the actual exam - I was already mentally beat. But...luckily I still passed my proctored exam. Wheww!

Of note - my strategy for this class:
- Took PA right away.
- Read the chapters where I missed questions.
- Spent extra attention on the section of the PA that had a 51% weight towards the entire exam. If I improve a lot in that section, it would have the greatest effect on my exam score.
- I took every chapter exam (10-20 questions each chapter). Questions I missed I would click on the links to take me to that section and I read that section until I understood the correct answer.
- After I finished studying the areas of the coaching report with missed questions - I re-read every question and answer in the coaching report.
- Then I did every chapter test - one after the other - and I compiled all the scores to see how I did overall. I got 85% correct.
This gave me confidence I was ready for OA.
- Then I took the PA one more time, the first day of class, and passed that with a 90%.
- I then too the OA and passed that - probably with an 80% score, although they don't give you those questions and answers - so there is no real way of telling your exact percentage.

My next class is C200 - Managing Organizations and Leading People. I've already created the skeletons of the papers according to the rubrics. All I have to do now is write the papers and plug in citations and references. I am using the "Golden Nugget" given within the Tips section. This tells you exactly how to write the two task papers. The Tips section also gives you the 5,4,3,2,1 videos - which tell you exactly what they are looking for in the papers.

I expect to submit both papers end of this weekend. By end of next weekend, I hope to submit the C212 Marketing paper.

So then the goal would be to finish the first 3 classes in the first 2 weeks.

Here is my Degree Plan - the Term 2 classes are not in the order I will take them. My mentor and I will make decisions after passing each class what to take next. However, the next class I plan to take, currently residing in Term 2, is Global Economics for Managers.

Degree Plan

.jpg   Classes.JPG (Size: 151.37 KB / Downloads: 10)

Pre-Assessment Coaching Report

.jpg   PA_Coaching.JPG (Size: 67.65 KB / Downloads: 10)

Objective Assessment Coaching Report

.jpg   OA_Coaching.JPG (Size: 65.84 KB / Downloads: 9)
Goal: MBA in IT Management, WGU

AA Information TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix, 2008
BS Business Administration in C.I.S., Thomas Edison State University2018
MBA Information Technology Management, Western Governor's University, In Progress
[-] The following 1 user Likes albinosmurf's post:
  • alab21
(11-02-2018, 01:22 PM)albinosmurf Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 02:00 PM)Kima Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 09:26 PM)albinosmurf Wrote: I finished Orientation today and got the first peak at my Degree Plan.
First things first, I need to fix my class list. Below is the order of the classes I am hoping to take them in. I still need to have my first meeting with my program mentor to approve this.

My idea is to finish the first class in a week. The capstone takes 4-6 weeks. The rest of the classes I hope to finish within 2 weeks each, on average.

CLASSES

O        C202:   Managing Human Capital
P        C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People
P         C212:   Marketing
P         C206:   Ethical Leadership
O        C211:   Global Economics for Managers
P         MMT2: IT Strategic Solutions
P        MGT2:   IT Project Management
O        C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers
O        C214:   Financial Management
P + O  C207:   Data-Driven Decision Making
P         C218:   MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone

Welcome to the club!  Just curious, how did you decide the order of your courses?  I've just been taking them in the order my mentor recommends.  

Here's what I've completed so far:
C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People - 24 pages - 4 days
MGT2:  IT Project Management - 45 pages - 10 days
C202:   Managing Human Capital - OA - 3 days
C212:   Marketing - 12 pages - 7 days
C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers - OA - 13 days
C206:   Ethical Leadership - 25 pages - 5 days

Hoping to finish these by the end of the year:
C214:   Financial Management - OA - In progress
C207:   Data-Driven Decision Making
MMT2:  IT Strategic Solutions
C211:   Global Economics for Managers

That will leave me two months to complete the capstone in order to finish in one term.  At this point it does seem doable.

Wow! Excellent work Kima. That is impressive finishing 6 classes in 6 weeks. One class per week average.

So the term started yesterday, November 1st.
I took the PA 10 days before the class started and studied the coaching report to focus on areas of study most beneficial.
I passed the PA (Practice Assessment) the first try, but only by the skin of my teeth (I got a 67%, and a passing score is 67%).
I started studying C202 about ten days ago and on day 1 I retook the PA to see how much I improved - I scored a 90%.
So later that night I took the OA and I passed. Yay!
I will say the OA was more difficult than the PA - I was not confident while taking the test and I was crossing fingers that I answered enough correctly to pass.
My main concern was if I failed, how would I go about restudying to ensure I could pass the second try. The questions were difficult enough, but it would be hard to figure out a plan to study the material in a way that prepared for those questions.
Luckily I don't have to restudy and this class is done.

** When you take your first proctored exam, give yourself plenty of time. It took Examity 60 full minutes to solve a technical problem with my connection. My exam was supposed to start a 7pm and I actually started at 8 pm due to tremendous technical problems. I don't think the technical issues were on my computer, but rather on Examity's side. I did a practice proctored exam at 5:30 pm and it worked without issue. So be prepared. Luckily for me I had nothing but time.

I will say that after spending a full hour troubleshooting with them, it increased my stress levels for taking the actual exam - I was already mentally beat. But...luckily I still passed my proctored exam. Wheww!

Of note - my strategy for this class:
- Took PA right away.
- Read the chapters where I missed questions.
- Spent extra attention on the section of the PA that had a 51% weight towards the entire exam. If I improve a lot in that section, it would have the greatest effect on my exam score.
- I took every chapter exam (10-20 questions each chapter). Questions I missed I would click on the links to take me to that section and I read that section until I understood the correct answer.
- After I finished studying the areas of the coaching report with missed questions - I re-read every question and answer in the coaching report.
- Then I did every chapter test - one after the other - and I compiled all the scores to see how I did overall. I got 85% correct.
This gave me confidence I was ready for OA.
- Then I took the PA one more time, the first day of class, and passed that with a 90%.
- I then too the OA and passed that - probably with an 80% score, although they don't give you those questions and answers - so there is no real way of telling your exact percentage.

My next class is C200 - Managing Organizations and Leading People. I've already created the skeletons of the papers according to the rubrics. All I have to do now is write the papers and plug in citations and references. I am using the "Golden Nugget" given within the Tips section. This tells you exactly how to write the two task papers. The Tips section also gives you the 5,4,3,2,1 videos - which tell you exactly what they are looking for in the papers.

I expect to submit both papers end of this weekend. By end of next weekend, I hope to submit the C212 Marketing paper.

So then the goal would be to finish the first 3 classes in the first 2 weeks.

Here is my Degree Plan - the Term 2 classes are not in the order I will take them. My mentor and I will make decisions after passing each class what to take next. However, the next class I plan to take, currently residing in Term 2, is Global Economics for Managers.

Degree Plan

Pre-Assessment Coaching Report

Objective Assessment Coaching Report
Wow!  You're off to a great start.   I think Global Econ is next for me.  It will be my 9th course.  I've got it and IT Strategic Solutions left before the Capstone.   My goal right now is to have both of those courses completed by the first week of December.  I have a cruise booked for the second week of December so I'm hoping to have everything except the Capstone wrapped up by then so I can relax on vacation and start the Capstone when I return.  Looks like you may be caught up to me by then and we could finish around the same time.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kima's post:
  • alab21

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,452 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 1,912 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,839 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 491 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,271 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,477 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 990 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Augusta University Msc InfoSec Management <7k durain 13 1,269 07-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 795 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 691 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5