Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA IT Management - The Journey from the Beginning to the End
(10-01-2018, 04:30 PM)Merlin Wrote: I recently picked up the HP 10bII+ Financial Calculator which covers quite a bit. If the 12c is the recommended option (is it used in the text and/or examples?), then I should probably return it while I am still within the return window. Smile

You may not need to return your calculator.  Below is what I found on the WGU site about approved calculators:

"Some examples of acceptable calculators include:

• TI-30

• TI-34

• TI-36

• TI-82

• TI-83

• TI-83+

• TI-84

• TI-84+

• TI-85

• TI-86

• TI-Nspire (non-CAS)

• TI BA II Plus (not the Professional series)

• HP 10b

• HP 10bII

• HP 12c

• HP 12cPlatinum

• Sharp EL-738C

• Casio FC-200V

• Casio FX300

• Embedded Calculator (Available in testing environment)"
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

(10-02-2018, 07:23 AM)Kima Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 04:30 PM)Merlin Wrote: I recently picked up the HP 10bII+ Financial Calculator which covers quite a bit. If the 12c is the recommended option (is it used in the text and/or examples?), then I should probably return it while I am still within the return window. Smile

You may not need to return your calculator.  Below is what I found on the WGU site about approved calculators:

"Some examples of acceptable calculators include:

• TI-30

• TI-34

• TI-36

• TI-82

• TI-83

• TI-83+

• TI-84

• TI-84+

• TI-85

• TI-86

• TI-Nspire (non-CAS)

• TI BA II Plus (not the Professional series)

• HP 10b

• HP 10bII

• HP 12c

• HP 12cPlatinum

• Sharp EL-738C

• Casio FC-200V

• Casio FX300

• Embedded Calculator (Available in testing environment)"

Thanks!

I looked that up last night as well after seeing the initial message. I also did some web searches and from what I gather it seems like the WGU text uses the TI BAII Plus for some of the examples, but I didn't see any HP examples (for 10bII or 12c). That probably doesn't matter but it could make things easier. Smile

In any case, from what I can see via web searches people recommend the 10bII and 12c for bachelor's level accounting & finance courses and recommend the HP 17bII for more advanced stuff like MBA coursework. But then again, others say that excel is more useful for MBA material and any calculator will work for the calculations on exams. Of course, those comments are not WGU specific, but MBA courses in general.

I'd love to use my TI nSpire CX, but its the CAS version. Not sure why CAS matters outside of algebra; business classes will mainly use the financial solver and that is not CAS based.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(10-02-2018, 11:33 AM)Merlin Wrote: Thanks!

I looked that up last night as well after seeing the initial message. I also did some web searches and from what I gather it seems like the WGU text uses the TI BAII Plus for some of the examples, but I didn't see any HP examples (for 10bII or 12c). That probably doesn't matter but it could make things easier. Smile

In any case, from what I can see via web searches people recommend the 10bII and 12c for bachelor's level accounting & finance courses and recommend the HP 17bII for more advanced stuff like MBA coursework. But then again, others say that excel is more useful for MBA material and any calculator will work for the calculations on exams. Of course, those comments are not WGU specific, but MBA courses in general.

I'd love to use my TI nSpire CX, but its the CAS version. Not sure why CAS matters outside of algebra; business classes will mainly use the financial solver and that is not CAS based.

All of the textbooks for my undergrad finance courses used the BAII in the examples as well. Some professors also gave examples in excel, but BAII was by far the norm. My undergrad work was online from a B&M school, and the publisher was Cengage. I've also seen a few McGraw textbooks with the BAII calculator.

I would wait to see what calculator your textbooks use before purchasing one.
(10-01-2018, 09:46 PM)Kima Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 03:53 PM)albinosmurf Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 02:28 PM)albinosmurf Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 12:40 PM)Kima Wrote: Good Luck!  I started the program on Sept 1st with the goal of finishing in under a year.  So far I've completed the following courses:

C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People
MGT2:  IT Project Management
C202:   Managing Human Capital
C212:   Marketing

And I've enjoyed them all withe the exception of marketing.  I just started working on C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers and I'm enjoying it as well, but it is a bit tedious.  

I'm hoping that with the aggressive pace you plan to keep you'll blow by me quickly and have some good tips for me.   My best tip so far is to use the information in the "Course Tips" section; It's there for a reason.  And for Project Management specifically, keep it simple.  If not you could end up having to write a lot more than is necessary.

Oh, and just and FYI, I think Ethical Leadership only requires a performance assessment now, not both a performance assessment and an objective assessment.

Good luck to you too Kima! So you finished four classes in your first month. That is great and gives me great hope. I look forward to exchanging updates and tips with you over the next year.
Kima - You may already know this, but for C213 you should get an HP 12c Platinum financial calculator. It is on the WGU allowed list of calculators. It will make life much easier.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll head over to Amazon and see if I can order that now.  I'm hoping to take the exam next week.

It will help with Financial Management too. Personally, I had never used a financial calculator before and it took some getting used to. I YouTubed how to use it for specific problems. You will want to practice/learn to use it before you need it.

(10-02-2018, 11:51 AM)alexf.1990 Wrote:

All of the textbooks for my undergrad finance courses used the BAII in the examples as well. Some professors also gave examples in excel, but BAII was by far the norm. My undergrad work was online from a B&M school, and the publisher was Cengage. I've also seen a few McGraw textbooks with the BAII calculator.

So I had never used a financial calculator before. I did not use one for my TESU BSBA. I discovered the tip from someone's blog on how they completed their WGU MBA in 300 hours.  The blog writer was a CPA and for the Financial Management class he highly recommended using the HP 12C. I purchased one and learned how to use it for calculating various problems such as variance and I could see the benefit immediately.

Here is the link to his blog below. That being said, I don't know which calculator is the best one for the MBA....I just went with this guys blog recommendation.

(highly recommend reading) and also the text specific to Financial Management:
https://www.paretoguide.com/journal/

C214 – Financial Management

Resources used: HP 12c Platinum (financial calculator), textbook

Time spent (in hours): planning 0, study 11, assessment 2, total 13

Approach:

Planning – none, this is my day job

Study – I took the pre-test cold to assess my capability against the material and passed easily on the first attempt. I used the coaching report and key concept notes I took during the pre-test to focus my review. The biggest learning was the need to obtain a financial calculator. Seriously! This test had far more calculations than any other test in the MBA to this point. The right calculator made some questions quite easy. Without it, manual calculation is brutal and a waste of mental resources and time. Also, this course covers a broad set of financial concepts in detail. If you don’t have familiarity with these concepts previously, add a lot more time to your study expectations.

Assessment – Objective Assessment, 93 minutes to complete 69 questions far above the required passing score. Get a financial calculator and learn how to do the required calculations.

- AlbinoSmurf
Goal: MBA in IT Management, WGU

AA Information TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix, 2008
BS Business Administration in C.I.S., Thomas Edison State University2018
MBA Information Technology Management, Western Governor's University, In Progress
(10-02-2018, 11:51 AM)alexf.1990 Wrote:

I decided to go ahead and return the one I have for now. It turns out I didn't need it for the accounting or financial courses I just completed, so I'll plan to purchase one that is appropriate for the course material when I get to the MBA coursework.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • alexf.1990
I finished Orientation today and got the first peak at my Degree Plan.
First things first, I need to fix my class list. Below is the order of the classes I am hoping to take them in. I still need to have my first meeting with my program mentor to approve this.

My idea is to finish the first class in a week. The capstone takes 4-6 weeks. The rest of the classes I hope to finish within 2 weeks each, on average.

CLASSES

O        C202:   Managing Human Capital
P        C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People
P         C212:   Marketing
P         C206:   Ethical Leadership
O        C211:   Global Economics for Managers
P         MMT2: IT Strategic Solutions
P        MGT2:   IT Project Management
O        C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers
O        C214:   Financial Management
P + O  C207:   Data-Driven Decision Making
P         C218:   MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone
Goal: MBA in IT Management, WGU

AA Information TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix, 2008
BS Business Administration in C.I.S., Thomas Edison State University2018
MBA Information Technology Management, Western Governor's University, In Progress
For my bachelor's, I had a PA ready to submit the first day. You have the courseware, rubric and access to course instructors right now, so nothing is stopping you from doing this.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(10-15-2018, 09:26 PM)albinosmurf Wrote: I finished Orientation today and got the first peak at my Degree Plan.
First things first, I need to fix my class list. Below is the order of the classes I am hoping to take them in. I still need to have my first meeting with my program mentor to approve this.

My idea is to finish the first class in a week. The capstone takes 4-6 weeks. The rest of the classes I hope to finish within 2 weeks each, on average.

CLASSES

O        C202:   Managing Human Capital
P        C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People
P         C212:   Marketing
P         C206:   Ethical Leadership
O        C211:   Global Economics for Managers
P         MMT2: IT Strategic Solutions
P        MGT2:   IT Project Management
O        C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers
O        C214:   Financial Management
P + O  C207:   Data-Driven Decision Making
P         C218:   MBA, Information Technology Management Capstone

Welcome to the club!  Just curious, how did you decide the order of your courses?  I've just been taking them in the order my mentor recommends.  

Here's what I've completed so far:
C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People - 24 pages - 4 days
MGT2:  IT Project Management - 45 pages - 10 days
C202:   Managing Human Capital - OA - 3 days
C212:   Marketing - 12 pages - 7 days
C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers - OA - 13 days
C206:   Ethical Leadership - 25 pages - 5 days

Hoping to finish these by the end of the year:
C214:   Financial Management - OA - In progress
C207:   Data-Driven Decision Making
MMT2:  IT Strategic Solutions
C211:   Global Economics for Managers

That will leave me two months to complete the capstone in order to finish in one term.  At this point it does seem doable.
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics

6 months is completely doable. I am in the same degree program. Started July 1 and had all classes except Capstone done by mid September. Capsim is done as well as Task 1, 2, and 3 of Capstone. I've slowed down a bit on my last 2 tasks due to some health issues, but will have no problem getting them done before my term ends in December... Even though I've taken a total of 4 weeks off so far since July.
[-] The following 1 user Likes amyrogers's post:
  • Kima
(10-01-2018, 03:53 PM)albinosmurf Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 02:28 PM)albinosmurf Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 12:40 PM)Kima Wrote: Good Luck!  I started the program on Sept 1st with the goal of finishing in under a year.  So far I've completed the following courses:

C200:   Managing Organizations and Leading People
MGT2:  IT Project Management
C202:   Managing Human Capital
C212:   Marketing

And I've enjoyed them all withe the exception of marketing.  I just started working on C213:   Accounting for Decision Makers and I'm enjoying it as well, but it is a bit tedious.  

I'm hoping that with the aggressive pace you plan to keep you'll blow by me quickly and have some good tips for me.   My best tip so far is to use the information in the "Course Tips" section; It's there for a reason.  And for Project Management specifically, keep it simple.  If not you could end up having to write a lot more than is necessary.

Oh, and just and FYI, I think Ethical Leadership only requires a performance assessment now, not both a performance assessment and an objective assessment.

Good luck to you too Kima! So you finished four classes in your first month. That is great and gives me great hope. I look forward to exchanging updates and tips with you over the next year.
Kima - You may already know this, but for C213 you should get an HP 12c Platinum financial calculator. It is on the WGU allowed list of calculators. It will make life much easier.
Albino Smurf - Just wanted to stop by and thank you for the calculator advice.  I purchased the HP 12c Platinum as you suggested and used it for both Accounting and Finance.  It worked great and seemed much easier to use than the calculator recommended for the courses.  

I'm looking forward to your updates as your official start date approaches in a few days.   For me, 7 courses down 4 to go.  1 term completion seems probable at this point.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kima's post:
  • alab21

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,461 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 1,916 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,284 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,490 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 990 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Augusta University Msc InfoSec Management <7k durain 13 1,269 07-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 796 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 693 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5