Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA IT management Vs. MS IT managment
In terms of what the degree is really worth, is there a significant difference in the Masters of Science or MBA?
I see the difference in the courses your would have to take, however would an employer care?
Would you set yourself up for more jobs with one over the other?
Is it worth getting an MBA that is not AACSB accredited?

MS IT managment
Online IT Management Degree | MS in IT Management
MBA IT management
MBA in Technology Management | Online MBA | WGU College of Business Online

I am getting close to finished my BSBA in CIS at TESC and trying to plan for the future.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
WGU's MS:ISA and MBA:IT are both on my list of masters degrees I'm considering.

MS:ITM vs MBA:IT - one is technical with some management and the other is management with some technical. I think the MBA holds more respect, but it kind of depends what you want from it. If you are a technical person that wants to move into management the MS:IT would help, but if are already in management and trying to move up, then the MBA may be better. The higher you move up in management, the more important business, finance, and accounting concepts become.

Now, if you have aspirations to be a CIO at a large company, then I think you may want to consider an AACSB accredited MBA.

For me I am in a position that is part technical and part management and I am also transitioning from an infrastructure role to cyber security. I want the masters in cyber security to help me transition into a more senior role in cyber security and may go back for the MBA to help me move up the management ladder. To me the WGU MBA looks like the most convenient and cost effective way to tack on that 2nd masters.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

If you know an MBA will help you advance in your organization, get an MBA. Otherwise, I'd go with the MS because the program will be more relevant and applicable to your work. Getting the MS won't close the door to getting an MBA later on if you so desire. Even if you do go the MBA route, an MBA in IT is highly unusual, to say the least, and I seriously doubt its utility. I think it would be better to just get a regular MBA rather than watering down your experience with IT management stuff that really is something entirely different.

Disregard accreditation because it's meaningless outside of very few circumstances. Accreditation is more for the school than it is for the students. Good business schools are (almost always) AACSB-accredited, but it's not the accreditation that makes them good, as evidenced by the number of mediocre business schools that are AACSB-accredited.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Being in the Military at the moment, neither of them will really "help" me. I am just trying to set myself up for success. I think I will go with the MS tbh.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 580 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,583 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 1,035 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Augusta University Msc InfoSec Management <7k durain 13 1,295 07-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 812 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 714 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  Is Swiss School of management Accredited? soulblader 4 1,754 03-06-2023, 04:52 PM
  Asian institute of management mba soulblader 4 733 11-28-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  $20k UT Austin Masters Sports Management smartdegree 0 519 09-12-2022, 06:26 AM
Last Post: smartdegree
  Leadership/Management course jb111 9 1,274 07-23-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: rachel83az