Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAU Alternates
I am looking for online degree programs in US (competency based only).

- My best choice was WGU but I have been told they have stopped taking IT candidates from Canada so that's not an option now.
- Looked into NAU MCIT program and even though I am familiar with the topics it looks like there is just too much work ( essays, projects) to complete so I am not sure if this can be done in an accelerated way along with the job. (still looking at this one)
- I called UW Flexible Option University of Wisconsin  but was told they too do not accept Canadian/International candidates.
- There is a Canadian university i.e. Athabasca university but its not competency based.

Do I have any other option for IT, CS , Cyber Security competency based degrees ?
WGU was on my list as well, until it stopped accepting Canadians last year. I don't think there are many competency based degree providers out there that will accept Canadians/International students. What degree do you have? Does the masters you're looking at have to be in IT? If so, NAU is probably our best option. There are others but they don't have an IT degree that's competency based, such as Brandman, Capella, Purdue Global, Walden, etc.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
(08-01-2019, 12:50 PM)Lewis.Yim Wrote: WGU was on my list as well, until it stopped accepting Canadians last year.  I don't think there are many competency based degree providers out there that will accept Canadians/International students.  What degree do you have?  Does the masters you're looking at have to be in IT?  If so, NAU is probably our best option.  There are others but they don't have an IT degree that's competency based, such as Brandman, Capella, Purdue Global, Walden, etc.

I have a international gradudate diploma which as per credential evaluation agencies should be equal to BS in IT per US Standards. However I want to get a north American degree so my plan was to get credit transfers on BS programs but WGU is not accepting and NAU tells me they can do maximum 64 transfers leaving 56 credits.
I feel based on my qualifications I can also get admission into the MCIT program by NAU (haven't applied yet) and in that case I will need to do 30 credit. I don't need a degree particularly into IT, it can be CS or Cybersecurity kind of thing as this is where my background is so its easy to handle the courses.

So I don't care if its a BS or MS, I just want a north American degree. If its 54 credit vs 30 then 30 is an easy option also because I am specialized in security area so can crack the papers much easier but based on the discussion here it looks like NAU is lengthy because they have several competencies inside a single course which requires several essays. Writing this much essays need time and I am afraid I cant do it along with my job.
Unfortunately, the choices here are very limited, the only other low-cost option I know of is Brandman with the MA in Organizational Leadership. But I know, it's not IT Wink
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----