Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA Reddit - Finish in 1 term
The reason I posted this is because I am looking at their Masters degree programs as there seems to be a "stall" on Walden's MBA front. I don't see their program for Walden Tempo Learning and haven't seen it for the last couple of months. I should email them and see what's up with that... They still have their other Tempo programs running accordingly, but I feel like completing an MBA before the MS Psychology - I just hope to see Walden get their MBA Tempo up again.

For the most part, I understand the people who can complete the WGU programs in a term are highly educated in that field and have years of experience, that is what Competency Based Degree programs are made for. People can go through it quickly as it's an accelerated and compacted program, it's mainly self paced and it all depends on how competent one is in that subject area. The more you know, the faster, the less you know, the slower... etc.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-02-2021, 12:37 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(01-01-2021, 11:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote: If you're on the WGU Accelerator's group on FB, you'll see that a ton of people have completed the MBA and MSOL in one term. It seems to be quite common for people to finish one of those degrees in 1 term.

I too see the many posts from accelerators who finish in 1 term, but I would only ask, is it common for people to finish in 1 term term, or is it common for people who complete in one term to post about it?

I rarely see someone just make a random thread bragging about completing their degree in one term. They usually are responding to someone who's asking if it can be done x number of terms and what is involved like how complicated the program is and different from their bachelor's degree programs. 

(01-02-2021, 12:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The reason I posted this is because I am looking at their Masters degree programs as there seems to be a "stall" on Walden's MBA front.  I don't see their program for Walden Tempo Learning and haven't seen it for the last couple of months.  I should email them and see what's up with that... They still have their other Tempo programs running accordingly, but I feel like completing an MBA before the MS Psychology - I just hope to see Walden get their MBA Tempo up again.

For the most part, I understand the people who can complete the WGU programs in a term are highly educated in that field and have years of experience, that is what Competency Based Degree programs are made for.  People can go through it quickly as it's an accelerated and compacted program, it's mainly self paced and it all depends on how competent one is in that subject area.  The more you know, the faster, the less you know, the slower... etc.

I reached out to Walden a few months ago about the Tempo MBA's. The only response they would give me is that their programs aren't available in NY. They wouldn't even tell me if the programs were still active. I was told any further conversations would require me living in a different state. It was very odd! 
(01-02-2021, 12:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The reason I posted this is because I am looking at their Masters degree programs as there seems to be a "stall" on Walden's MBA front.  I don't see their program for Walden Tempo Learning and haven't seen it for the last couple of months.  I should email them and see what's up with that... They still have their other Tempo programs running accordingly, but I feel like completing an MBA before the MS Psychology - I just hope to see Walden get their MBA Tempo up again.

For the most part, I understand the people who can complete the WGU programs in a term are highly educated in that field and have years of experience, that is what Competency Based Degree programs are made for.  People can go through it quickly as it's an accelerated and compacted program, it's mainly self paced and it all depends on how competent one is in that subject area.  The more you know, the faster, the less you know, the slower... etc.

after March grad from TESU I am going the WGU MBA route, I suspect april or May start depending, jump in!
DBA Student at South College starting in October 2022, Target finish date May 2024

Certificate for the Study of Capitalism at University of Arkansas finished July 2022

MBA with Hellenic American University started March 29th, 2021 , finished May 20th 2022, Graduated in June 2022

BSBA at Thomas Edison State University started May 21st 2020 with Sophia and SDC, finished Jan 24th, 2021, Graduated on 12 March of 2021

Total time to complete both degrees 2 years exactly, total cost just a small bit over $10,000

Thanks Degreeforum!
I just went through WGU MSITM; I'm only missing the capstone at this point. I would keep in mind that most of us in this community are veteran accelerators at the undergraduate level, so I would not be surprised if most of us can complete the WGU programs in 1 term...

As for the MSITM, I think most of the difficulty lies in the 2-course exams; they somewhat act as a gatekeeper, even if not intended. I did both courses super fast; I got a very similar technique when I was doing bachelor courses to cram and pass the exam. However, my mentor told me some students are on their fifth try and cannot get it through, and for the Project Management exam (CAPM) he rarely sees people able to accelerate the course unless prior knowledge of the PMBOK.

You need to figure out why you are doing the WGU program, IMO you go to WGU to prove you can do the work, get the paper and move on, not to get mentored. There is no mentoring on how to become a better professional in your field; everything is focused on the assignments and how to pass the course.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
[-] The following 4 users Like posabsolute's post:
  • cwendy111, inkleind, ss20ts, TacticalTechie
(01-04-2021, 08:33 AM)posabsolute Wrote: I just went through WGU MSITM; I'm only missing the capstone at this point. I would keep in mind that most of us in this community are veteran accelerators at the undergraduate level, so I would not be surprised if most of us can complete the WGU programs in 1 term...

As for the MSITM, I think most of the difficulty lies in the 2-course exams; they somewhat act as a gatekeeper, even if not intended. I did both courses super fast; I got a very similar technique when I was doing bachelor courses to cram and pass the exam. However, my mentor told me some students are on their fifth try and cannot get it through, and for the Project Management exam (CAPM) he rarely sees people able to accelerate the course unless prior knowledge of the PMBOK.

You need to figure out why you are doing the WGU program, IMO you go to WGU to prove you can do the work, get the paper and move on, not to get mentored. There is no mentoring on how to become a better professional in your field; everything is focused on the assignments and how to pass the course.

I point out to people that my acclimation to alternative credit style learning was the most significant contributory factor to my success at WGU. My time in this forum prepared me for the competency based, go as you see fit WGU learning style and I rocked it! The abundance of student experience information available in groups is also helpful like Facebook and Reddit and of course here. I decided to return for the MBA-HM when my term ends in June. I can't stop!!!!
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
[-] The following 2 users Like cwendy111's post:
  • jch, ss20ts
(12-31-2020, 06:35 AM)Merlin Wrote: That said, these kinds of posts are dangerous since it makes people think that everyone is doing this (or anyone can), where that is actually not the case. They sign up for the degree program thinking that they'll be done in 6 months and then find out that it's actually hard work. In many cases, they cannot afford the extra costs (or free time dries up) and end up dropping out and complaining on the forums about how WGU degrees are bogus or complaining that everyone there must be cheating because they weren't able to finish their degree so fast. The ones that stick with it end up taking 2 or 3 terms to finish and are not happy either.

People who successfully manage to accelerate their degree and complete and MBA or MSML in a single term generally:
  • have a lot of prior knowledge (most have worked in management or HR for quite a while);
  • have a ton of extra time on their hands (typically means ignoring friends/family and maybe no job or one with lots of flexibility);
  • are able to absorb and process information very quickly;
  • or all of the above.
So, while it is possible to do this, people need to go into it with the expectation that they will not be able to finish in one term (and plan to pay for 2-3 terms),

(01-02-2021, 01:44 AM)MNomadic Wrote: So I'm well aware of the possibilities and that most WGU "hyper accelerators" have lots of experience, transfer credits, time, aptitude or some combination of the aforementioned qualities. I'm merely trying to point out the inherent reporting bias that takes place in these instances. We don't see as many posts from people who completed their WGU program in the standard timeframes, we see the catchy posts about single term completions most often. If thousands of people graduate, but we see a few dozen people talking about their remarkable results, but not many people talk about their average results, it skews our perspective.

Very much agree with these posts. I find it unfortunate that some acceleration discussions lack warnings of this type.

I think that finishing in 2 terms is a challenge for the majority of people.

The same goes with the MS-CSIA program. I took 17 months to do that program, and I'm happy with that. I probably could have done it in one term, but I would have been very stressed and I would not have had any free time to do anything else.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
It's all good, sometimes life doesn't come according to plans, 3 terms at WGU is much cheaper than taking the courses at TESU or the courses at COSC/Excelsior for a similar Masters.

I saw this on Reddit last night:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WGU/comments/qg...trying_to/

[Image: dtfegd9hjvv71.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes varJosh's post:
  • Pikachu
There are a few people on the board taking that degree, I wouldn't be surprise if the person who wrote the reddit post would be someone on the board... quigongene - you reading this? You're the awesome college credit munching speed demon who I first thought of...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How fast (in how many days) can you realistically finish Sophia, etc. or WGU course? whiverem 32 6,834 01-19-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tips for success at WGU (to finish in a single term) Merlin 2 5,212 01-19-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: nykorn
Sad Struggling to finish angellicarob 3 640 10-26-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Do you have to be super smart to finish WGU? What can you do to eliminate any doubts whiverem 30 6,156 05-23-2023, 07:49 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  My One Term WGU MBA Popestt 8 5,698 01-13-2021, 05:04 PM
Last Post: LongRoad
  WGU term breaks? KellyClyde 0 3,300 09-25-2020, 12:27 PM
Last Post: KellyClyde
  WGU BS-CS in 1 term? THEBLASTFUN 17 4,680 03-21-2020, 11:25 AM
Last Post: xicovu
  average time to finish WGU - opinions wanted EducationSeeker 21 7,234 07-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl
  Is ten courses at WGU in one term going to make me crazy? udi 18 6,898 06-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Last Post: akr680
  WGU Term Start/Acceptance Question...... Toastmaster 14 3,900 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore