Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MBA Score Report
Hi all,
I am just beginning the MBA Program at WGU. I submitted my first Task and it came back with lots of feedback. UGGH ... 
My score report rates several sections as "minimally competent" and I am not sure what must be done about those.  Does minimally competent cut it?  Do I have to revise those sections?
BA Liberal Studies, 2018 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
ASNSM, Computer Science, 2018 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AS General Studies, 2016, Northwestern State University, LA
If no one responds here, reddit has a /WGU section
(04-02-2019, 03:22 PM)omuneek Wrote: Hi all,
I am just beginning the MBA Program at WGU. I submitted my first Task and it came back with lots of feedback. UGGH ... 
My score report rates several sections as "minimally competent" and I am not sure what must be done about those.  Does minimally competent cut it?  Do I have to revise those sections?

For performance assessments (like the two papers in C200) you have a rubric which indicates the requirements for each section of the assessment. To pass, you will need to earn a competent or highly competent score in every section. You can take the feedback you received and use that to improve the paper. Make sure you only change those sections where you scored less than competent, and you should highlight them in another color to make it easier for the grader to see your changes.

For objective assessments, those are just exams so it is much more straight forward. For those you just need to earn a competent score or better overall.

These links may be helpful:
https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Assessment-Service...s/ta-p/133
https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Assessment-Service...s/ta-p/188
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(04-03-2019, 04:44 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 03:22 PM)omuneek Wrote: Hi all,

For performance assessments (like the two papers in C200) you have a rubric which indicates the requirements for each section of the assessment. To pass, you will need to earn a competent or highly competent score in every section. You can take the feedback you received and use that to improve the paper. Make sure you only change those sections where you scored less than competent, and you should highlight them in another color to make it easier for the grader to see your changes.

For objective assessments, those are just exams so it is much more straight forward. For those you just need to earn a competent score or better overall.

These links may be helpful:
https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Assessment-Service...s/ta-p/133
https://cm.wgu.edu/t5/Assessment-Service...s/ta-p/188
Thanks Merlin!
How did you format your paper?

It should be:

Rubric Prompt 1:

“Answer rubric prompt 1” and nothing else really

And continue for all of the prompts.

You aren’t writing a paper, you are writing to answer prompts that overall don’t really make a readable paper at all.
(04-07-2019, 08:29 PM)Johmford Wrote: How did you format your paper?

It should be:

Rubric Prompt 1:

“Answer rubric prompt 1” and nothing else really

And continue for all of the prompts.

You aren’t writing a paper, you are writing to answer prompts that overall don’t really make a readable paper at all.

Yes and no. You're effectively writing a paper that acts a bit like an anthology. It is a collection of smaller articles brought together under a common umbrella that follow a common theme. The rules and approach for each of those articles are set out in the rubric. Unless the rubric states it, you don't have to write essays, you just need to provide an answer, analysis, or discussion that is logical, consistent, and detailed enough to cover the important bits. Each response should be readable on its own, but one response doesn't necessarily need to properly transition into the next since it is not an essay.

When I write, I paper, I start with the following:

Title page
Table of Contents
References

Then I create the body between the TOC and references. For that, I look at the title of each section from the rubric and create a heading in the paper's body for each of those titles. I then fill in my responses under each heading based on the highest requirements listed within the rubric. IMO, this helps because it breaks the paper into manageable pieces plus it provides a roadmap for the graders to follow when reviewing your paper to ensure it meets the rubric requirements.

Always remember: Following the rubric is your only concern. If something isn't specified in the rubric you don't need to do it. If it says to do something specific, don't do anything more or less than that.

For example, most papers don't require APA formatting. They may require APA references and citations if the rubric specifies that you need to include a minimum number of acaedmic reference sources. However many papers do not specify a minimum number of references, which means they are optional. However, even if references/citations are not required by the rubric, if you end up quoting/summarizing/paraphrasing something, then you will need to use APA references and citations as that is the school's standard.

The directions can also provide clues that will make your paper more likely to get a higher score. When something says discuss or evaluate, that usually means you must provide an answer, explain what it means, and discuss why you think you are correct (or how you came to the result).

For C200, you should also take a look at the Golden Nugget in the course tips section. That will provide useful advice. If you follow the recommendations made there, you should have no troubles.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Imbanewbie
Thanks all! I am seriously overthinking this!!!! UUUGGGGHHH