Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU MS Cybersecurity and Information Assurance?
Since I've just about wrapped up my bachelor's, I've been trying to figure out what's next. My degree won't actually be conferred until December (but my last class ends in a week), so I have some time, but I thought I'd look ahead a bit.

Has anyone gone through WGU's MS CSIA? My BA is in an unrelated field, but I have the professional experience required for admission.

Any insight anyone might have would be helpful in making a decision. Are the courses more technical, or more theory based? What time frame were you looking at? What were the assignments like?

Thanks in advance!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
MSCIA is the new version of the MSISA. The change took place about 6 months ago. It is at least 2/3 the same maybe more. One change was the Cryptography exam was replaced with Cyberwarfare.

stretcharmy made it through the MSISA in one 6 month term working 35-40 hours a week. http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...iew-7.html

mednat started the MSISA as a 2nd Masters from WGU and then stopped. http://www.degreeforum.net/graduate-scho...ience.html

There are a number of threads about it at techexams.

It is one of the programs I am considering, but I'm the fence about it.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Thanks, I'll check out these threads, I appreciate it.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:Thanks, I'll check out these threads, I appreciate it.

Here is another thread in regards to the program and requirements.
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...areer.html

I was curious what professional requirements have you satisfied?
What would you recommend as the certification to get for admissions?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Here is another thread in regards to the program and requirements.
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...areer.html

No one in that thread has taken the course or provides their experience on it, you just told the poster to take a masters in cybersecurity because he was curious about the IT world. I'm don't see how it's relevant, to be honest (and I think this program is a horrible idea for someone without background in the field).

bjcheung77 Wrote:I was curious what professional requirements have you satisfied?
What would you recommend as the certification to get for admissions?

Here are the admission requirements, you'd pick one of the three options...

Demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:
  • Have earned a bachelor’s degree in IT security or IT networking that covers at least two CISSP CBK domains. (You can find the domains listed here.)
  • Hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, CCNA Security, CEH, CHFI, GIAC 2700 or GCWN certification that is valid and earned within the last five years.
  • Submit a resume for review showing recent significant IT security experience, of at least three years, which demonstrates at least two CISSP CBK domains.

If you don't fulfil either of the other two and want to go the cert route, the CEH would probably be the "easier" cert, but it's also included in the Masters program so you're kind of tossing away your own money to get it. Same with CHFI. If you want to avoid that, my guess would be GIAC GCWN (2700 is discontinued) if you have a Windows security background, know your way around Active Directory and such.

That's a very subjective opinion. Others will have different opinions.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

The SANS courses are expensive and I think taking the exam without the course is $1000. Not sure if that outways the hassle of dealing with EC-Council for the CEH.

If I do the program, my experience / resume should be enough, but I think I could justify it from a degree perspective too. Networking TECEP is one domain and the Cybersecurity DSST could cover the other. Initially they were not being very picky but something changed a few years ago and they do seem to pay more attention now.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Wow, that's quite the cost.

Many companies will pay for their IT/IS employee's certs, but if youre lucky enough for that it means you've probably already met the professional experience requirement anyway (as long as you can make a case for the domains)

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:If you don't fulfil either of the other two and want to go the cert route, the CEH would probably be the "easier" cert, but it's also included in the Masters program so you're kind of tossing away your own money to get it. Same with CHFI. If you want to avoid that, my guess would be GIAC GCWN (2700 is discontinued) if you have a Windows security background, know your way around Active Directory and such.

Having taken both the CEH and CHFI exams in the last year I can say the CHFI is by far easier. Neither was overly challenging, but the CEH had a ton of memorization of commands in it. If the CHFI wasn't paid for by my employer I would be kind of upset with the quality of the cert. The exam was a joke, compared to the study material, and I definitely do not feel qualified for any sort of forensic work upon completing it.

If someone was just taking it to get admission I think CHFI would be the easiest route.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
I'd definitely take your word over mine. Makes sense.

Out of curiosity, since you just finished your BS in Cybersecurity, will you be taking a stab at this or a similar grad degree next?

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I've started the process of applying to the program, but I'm not 100% certain it is what I will go with. It seems to make the most sense to go with WGU as I already have 2 of the 10 requirements completed, and it would be one of the cheapest options. From personal ego stand point I would like a degree with big name recognition like Cornel or John Hopkins but time and money is vastly different. Since I'm already in a career level position and the government only cares about checking that box with a regionally accredited degree program name doesn't seem to matter too much.

I also don't know if I could stand to sit through 16 week courses again after completing so much self study/pace courses.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,585 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  University of Cape Town - Masters in Information Technology nyvrem 1 404 08-30-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Imbanewbie 17 3,620 05-10-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  ACCEPTED into Georgia Tech's OMS Cybersecurity! jsd 145 44,473 01-11-2023, 05:10 PM
Last Post: 9yeire
  WGU Ranked #3 Best Online Cybersecurity Master's Program LevelUP 14 2,809 12-16-2022, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  NYU MS Cybersecurity - 75% scholarship discount newdegree 17 2,302 12-10-2021, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  online masters cybersecurity delightfulwilderness 13 3,037 12-02-2021, 04:05 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  BAT Cybersecurity to a Masters later? alab21 9 2,204 11-16-2021, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Glenda P. Gipe
  HES Cybersecurity Degree Alpha 6 1,516 10-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Online Computer and Information Science Masters Ranked by Salary sanantone 0 581 08-22-2021, 06:16 PM
Last Post: sanantone