Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Masters in Teaching English
How is this program different than a regular Masters in English degree? Does anyone know any accelerated cost effective English programs similar to the WGU model that would qualify me to teach English on the college level?
The WGU Masters in teaching (any subject) usually either requires you to already have a teacher certification or that there are some WGU masters that will also earn you a teacher certification. Just having a Masters in English will not get you a job teaching English in most K-12 school systems. If you want to teach on a college level or in a different country that may be enough, but even some colleges require a teaching certification.. Usually a teaching certification requires several education credits and student teaching.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:The WGU Masters in teaching (any subject) usually either requires you to already have a teacher certification or that there are some WGU masters that will also earn you a teacher certification. Just having a Masters in English will not get you a job teaching English in most K-12 school systems. If you want to teach on a college level or in a different country that may be enough, but even some colleges require a teaching certification.. Usually a teaching certification requires several education credits and student teaching.

Linda, I have seen this a couple of times recently - colleges requiring teaching certification. What's up with that? It's not even relevant to college-level coursework. Sigh.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ladylearner Wrote:Linda, I have seen this a couple of times recently - colleges requiring teaching certification. What's up with that? It's not even relevant to college-level coursework. Sigh.

I'm guessing those schools are saying that in order to get their masters in teaching, you must already be a teacher. Not a crazy idea. A lot of MBA programs require that you have a BA in business AND a certain number of years working in business before you can apply there as well. Similar thought process.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I'm guessing those schools are saying that in order to get their masters in teaching, you must already be a teacher. Not a crazy idea. A lot of MBA programs require that you have a BA in business AND a certain number of years working in business before you can apply there as well. Similar thought process.

I get what you're saying, as many college-level instructors and professors only have subject area knowledge and no pedagogical background whatsoever. It makes sense to require some education classes, but so much of the teacher certification process applies to teaching in a K-12 setting and is impossible to complete without working in a K-12 classroom. So someone who wants to work with adults can only get a job by going through this elaborate process and then teaching kids? I would be OK with the certification requirement if there was a certification for college-level. I know there has been talk of implementing certification for adult education but it's not standardized.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
ladylearner Wrote:I get what you're saying, as many college-level instructors and professors only have subject area knowledge and no pedagogical background whatsoever. It makes sense to require some education classes, but so much of the teacher certification process applies to teaching in a K-12 setting and is impossible to complete without working in a K-12 classroom. So someone who wants to work with adults can only get a job by going through this elaborate process and then teaching kids? I would be OK with the certification requirement if there was a certification for college-level. I know there has been talk of implementing certification for adult education but it's not standardized.

To teach college-level normally requires a Masters degree (or a PhD) in the subject area that you want to teach in, rather than a degree in teaching. A teaching degree is basically a smattering of different subjects, and then a bunch of courses in education and classroom management stuff, meant for K-12 teachers.

If you want to be an English teacher, get your masters in English. If you were to go to the college-level to teach, you would have to have it. If you were to teach in a HS setting, it would be a bonus, but you would have to get a teaching certificate in addition. Here in CA, you get more money if you have a masters, plus you can get a teaching credential no matter what subject you studied (it is actually preferred that you get a subject-matter degree rather than a degree in education at this point).

The best teachers I've ever had (elementary through college) were experts in their fields, and loved the subject. The ability to pass on love of learning, love of a subject, or just being able to keep students interested in the subject is practically impossible to be taught - for great teachers, this comes fairly naturally. My son goes to a well-regarded charter school for middle school. His favorite teacher is his math teacher, who has a degree in English - she makes math fun. His second favorite teacher is his Great Books teacher, who was a lawyer. He is crazy smart and always has interesting assignments for the kids to do.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 681 4 hours ago
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 444 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 597 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 646 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 364 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,225 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,115 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,812 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 581 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,781 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7