Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Post-Baccalaureate Program
I have a BA in Psychology from a private college in PA and have been offered an alternate route teaching position in NJ for which I need to secure a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) to teach.  My GPA is below the minimum required in NJ due to an error on my transcripts (which I’m battling the college to correct, but that’s a whole different story). An option according to the NJDOE is to take a “state approved post-baccalaureate certification program with a minimum of 13 semester-hour credits.”  I believe WGU offers such a program.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the program?
(11-23-2019, 11:33 AM)Peculiar Patty Wrote: I have a BA in Psychology from a private college in PA and have been offered an alternate route teaching position in NJ for which I need to secure a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) to teach.  My GPA is below the minimum required in NJ due to an error on my transcripts (which I’m battling the college to correct, but that’s a whole different story). An option according to the NJDOE is to take a “state approved post-baccalaureate certification program with a minimum of 13 semester-hour credits.”  I believe WGU offers such a program.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the program?

I don't have any experience with any specific certification programs via WGU, but if your problem is related to meeting a specific GPA requirement, you may want to look for a different college since WGU doesn't provide graded credits which means no GPA.

Yes, WGU internally considers a passing score to be equivalent to a B, but that doesn't guarantee that other institutions will reflect that 3.0 GPA recommendation. Many colleges just ignore courses that are listed with a Pass or CR for purposes of GPA calculation, others may provide a C equivalency. So if it is the NJDOE doing the evaluation, you may want to find out how they evaluate ungraded credits before signing up for anything at WGU.
In Progress: Considering next steps
Up Next: Perhaps an MSCS or a DBA/DM/Ph.D.

Complete:
MBA in IT Management, 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA in Computer Information Systems, 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Computer Science, 2019, Thomas Edison State University

B&M CC: 8.68cr, TESU: 3cr, CLEP/DSST: 15cr, Study.com: 57cr, Straighterline: 19cr, ALEKS: 9cr, TEEX: 6cr, The Institutes: 2cr, Sophia: 2cr
(121.68 credits total. 95 credits earned in 10 months, with 45 of those earned in ~3 months)
(11-23-2019, 06:45 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-23-2019, 11:33 AM)Peculiar Patty Wrote: I have a BA in Psychology from a private college in PA and have been offered an alternate route teaching position in NJ for which I need to secure a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) to teach.  My GPA is below the minimum required in NJ due to an error on my transcripts (which I’m battling the college to correct, but that’s a whole different story). An option according to the NJDOE is to take a “state approved post-baccalaureate certification program with a minimum of 13 semester-hour credits.”  I believe WGU offers such a program.  Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the program?

I don't have any experience with any specific certification programs via WGU, but if your problem is related to meeting a specific GPA requirement, you may want to look for a different college since WGU doesn't provide graded credits which means no GPA.

Yes, WGU internally considers a passing score to be equivalent to a B, but that doesn't guarantee that other institutions will reflect that 3.0 GPA recommendation. Many colleges just ignore courses that are listed with a Pass or CR for purposes of GPA calculation, others may provide a C equivalency. So if it is the NJDOE doing the evaluation, you may want to find out how they evaluate ungraded credits before signing up for anything at WGU.

Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I feel quite foolish but had not thought about that. Looks like my next step will be to contact the NJDOE tomorrow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online bachelor CS degree to prepare for a master CS program npvn 6 185 4 hours ago
Last Post: msganti
  Competency-based BS CS program from a globally ranked university npvn 12 453 11-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Post your Test Results! sgloer 5,327 404,787 11-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Ac123
Question Program completion like Tempo Learning? iwantmydegreeplz 5 228 10-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Seeking Advice on School/Program Regards 8 253 10-05-2019, 08:07 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  What can transfer to WGU Teaching Program??? Idreamofadegree 7 340 08-22-2019, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Idreamofadegree
  New ABET EAC accreditted online engineering BS program from ODU johnw 0 236 08-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Last Post: johnw
  Post your Test Center Experiences! sgloer 3 280 07-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Other options like ASU's Earned Admission Program tobyisking 3 274 06-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Flex program cardiacclep 7 1,350 04-29-2019, 12:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore