Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU & Shmoop
Hi guys!

I've been a long-time reader of this forum and finally decided to make an account.
I'm currently pursuing a BS in Psychology with approx. 10 courses to go, but I'm really regretting my choice of major and would love to switch to an IT or business degree from WGU.
That being said, I have several Shmoop credits on my ACE transcript that I worry won't transfer due to the whole Shmoop controversy. I called WGU and they couldn't give me an answer other than "apply & send in your transcripts & see what will transfer". 

Does anyone here know for sure that WGU accepts or denies Shmoop credits?

Thanks guys.
I didn't end up going with them for my bachelor degree but they did apply my Shmoop US History when they evaluated without issue last year - they applied all my ACE credits from a mix of providers. They take ACE credit, but nothing that is NCCRS (Shmoop is ACE)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-29-2018, 04:18 PM)allvia Wrote: I didn't end up going with them for my bachelor degree but they did apply my Shmoop US History when they evaluated without issue last year - they applied all my ACE credits from a mix of providers. They take ACE credit, but nothing that is NCCRS (Shmoop is ACE)

Thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking, why did you not end up going with WGU?
(09-29-2018, 03:34 PM)impasta Wrote: Hi guys!

I've been a long-time reader of this forum and finally decided to make an account.
I'm currently pursuing a BS in Psychology with approx. 10 courses to go, but I'm really regretting my choice of major and would love to switch to an IT or business degree from WGU.
That being said, I have several Shmoop credits on my ACE transcript that I worry won't transfer due to the whole Shmoop controversy. I called WGU and they couldn't give me an answer other than "apply & send in your transcripts & see what will transfer". 

Does anyone here know for sure that WGU accepts or denies Shmoop credits?

Thanks guys.

WGU doesn't accept Shmoop... or at least they haven't done so in the past. I suspect that is still the case, but it is possible they may accept them if they were taken as proctored courses.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(09-29-2018, 04:56 PM)Merlin Wrote: WGU doesn't accept Shmoop... or at least they haven't done so in the past. I suspect that is still the case, but it is possible they may accept them if they were taken as proctored courses.

They took my ALEKS math courses as well. Just to be clear this was August 2017 when they received my ACE transcript.

(09-29-2018, 04:53 PM)impasta Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 04:18 PM)allvia Wrote: I didn't end up going with them for my bachelor degree but they did apply my Shmoop US History when they evaluated without issue last year - they applied all my ACE credits from a mix of providers. They take ACE credit, but nothing that is NCCRS (Shmoop is ACE)

Thank you for your reply! If you don't mind me asking, why did you not end up going with WGU?

My existing credits just worked out better for the degrees I'm getting through TESU.  I am going to do the MBA-IT program with WGU after I graduate from TESU at the end of this year.  WGU if free to apply, and the ACE transcript is $15 - I would say apply and send the transcripts, they are very fast to evaluate.
Amberton University

We've definitely had others report that WGU didn't take their Shmoop credit. But perhaps something has changed and you'll get lucky like allvia.

As far as Psychology vs IT, I personally decided not to choose between the two  Tongue
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-29-2018, 05:04 PM)allvia Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 04:56 PM)Merlin Wrote: WGU doesn't accept Shmoop... or at least they haven't done so in the past. I suspect that is still the case, but it is possible they may accept them if they were taken as proctored courses.

They took my ALEKS math courses as well. Just to be clear this was August 2017 when they received my ACE transcript.

I haven't seen any issues with WGU not accepting ALEKS courses. They just come in at different evaluations than TESU in some cases. Whereas they have never accepted Shmoop as far as I know.
Either way, it is always worthwhile to submit transcripts and see what happens since they can always change their policies or make exceptions.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Thanks for all your input! I'll see if I can get a definite answer from WGU and will report back Smile
(09-29-2018, 11:34 PM)impasta Wrote: Thanks for all your input! I'll see if I can get a definite answer from WGU and will report back Smile

What Shmoop courses do you have? Also did you get them applied to TESU back in the day before they banned them? I know you said you were pretty close to being done with your BA from TESU.
Amberton University

(09-30-2018, 07:32 AM)allvia Wrote:
(09-29-2018, 11:34 PM)impasta Wrote: Thanks for all your input! I'll see if I can get a definite answer from WGU and will report back Smile

What Shmoop courses do you have? Also did you get them applied to TESU back in the day before they banned them? I know you said you were pretty close to being done with your BA from TESU.

I'm actually not enrolled at TESU but at Excelsior (should've specified, sorry!). Excelsior accepted my Shmoop credits and I even ended up with excess lower-level credits LOL.

I have quite a few Shmoop courses: Financial Accounting, Algebra I & II, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Statistics, American Govt, Business Communication, Comparative Politics, Marketing, Management, Econ 101, History of Technology, Human Sexuality, Biology, Chemistry, European History, US History I & II, Professional Writing, E-Commerce, Pop Culture, Art History, and a few Literature courses. 

Of course I don't expect WGU to take them all, but I really don't want to retake the math and business courses either.