Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[WGU] Should I Just Go Ahead
[quote pid='333744' dateline='1617135602']
people can easily knock out WGU courses in a couple of days or even fewer                  
saw a post on WGU's reddit where somebody did the Natural Science lab by comparing how long it took to boil water with salt vs how long it took to boil without                    
I'm not sure any CLEP facilities are open at the moment, but I'm sure you could knock out WGU's American History faster than it would take to commute to the nearest CLEP testing center and complete a CLEP American History 

there are many dedicated posters on reddit who complete a degree in year, some even in one 6 month term
[/quote]

Alright, here's where I'm confused then. Should I take the easier coursework at WGU or do the free CLEP exams?
I was under the impression that each WGU course took at least a week to complete but if some of them can be done in a few hours I may enroll sooner rather than later.

Right now, I have 90 credits to play around with. With the BSNOS program, there's a couple of certificates I want to get (Project+ and AWS ones) so I'm going to take those WGU courses. My thought process is that since I have to take 30 CUs with WGU I might as well get some certificates along the way. Then I want to get as much of the harder coursework out of the way so that I can actually finish my degree in one 6-month term to save money.

Is there a list somewhere or wiki posting on what the harder WGU courses are? I hear that the C393 & 394 A+ ones are pretty difficult.
(03-31-2021, 08:52 AM)sirius Wrote: [quote pid='333744' dateline='1617135602']
people can easily knock out WGU courses in a couple of days or even fewer                  
saw a post on WGU's reddit where somebody did the Natural Science lab by comparing how long it took to boil water with salt vs how long it took to boil without                    
I'm not sure any CLEP facilities are open at the moment, but I'm sure you could knock out WGU's American History faster than it would take to commute to the nearest CLEP testing center and complete a CLEP American History 

there are many dedicated posters on reddit who complete a degree in year, some even in one 6 month term

Alright, here's where I'm confused then. Should I take the easier coursework at WGU or do the free CLEP exams?
I was under the impression that each WGU course took at least a week to complete but if some of them can be done in a few hours I may enroll sooner rather than later.

Right now, I have 90 credits to play around with. With the BSNOS program, there's a couple of certificates I want to get (Project+ and AWS ones) so I'm going to take those WGU courses. My thought process is that since I have to take 30 CUs with WGU I might as well get some certificates along the way. Then I want to get as much of the harder coursework out of the way so that I can actually finish my degree in one 6-month term to save money.

Is there a list somewhere or wiki posting on what the harder WGU courses are? I hear that the C393 & 394 A+ ones are pretty difficult.
[/quote]
WGU courses have no set time tables. So they don't all take at least a week unless you need them to. If you can do the OA(final test) or PA(final project/paper) on day 1 then you can finish the class on day 1. 

There's no dedicated list because it's going to be subjective to the individual and it changes over time(the programs and courses change fairly often). It really all just depends on your own strengths and previous knowledge/experience/competence. 

I finished my first 4 classes in 4 days. Also, There were a few classes that didn't transfer in even though I felt they should have. I was going to appeal to get more transfer credits but instead decided to just take it at WGU which was fine since I had the knowledge, I was able to finish each in under a day.

As to whether you should take things before WGU or during WGU, it really depends. You'll have to do your own research on many courses and know yourself and your capabilities. There are indeed many examples of super accelerators who finish 100+ credits in a single term. But some of those people may not have a job and are doing WGU 60+ hours per week, or they have over a decade of experience and test out of most things, or they're super smart with photographic memory and are able to read the book and immediately take the test. It all just depends on you and if you want to take your time to cheaply finish a bunch of credits before enrolling or use your enrollment to focus on finishing courses quickly.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(03-30-2021, 08:49 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Just a heads up to OP, WGU's BSNOS *may* be getting phased out(this is just someone's post, not an official announcement):
https://www.reddit.com/r/WGUIT/comments/...urce=share

It's not the end of the world, as there are still plenty of other great degree options, but you may want to reach out to your enrollment counselor to see if this will affect your plans.

IDK if you're following it still but "BSNOS isn't going anywhere". https://www.reddit.com/r/WGUIT/comments/...t/gswyy8d/
I'm so relieved haha.
(03-31-2021, 12:28 PM)sirius Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 08:49 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Just a heads up to OP, WGU's BSNOS *may* be getting phased out(this is just someone's post, not an official announcement):

It's not the end of the world, as there are still plenty of other great degree options, but you may want to reach out to your enrollment counselor to see if this will affect your plans.

IDK if you're following it still but "BSNOS isn't going anywhere". https://www.reddit.com/r/WGUIT/comments/...t/gswyy8d/
I'm so relieved haha.

Yeah most likely not going anywhere anytime soon. However, it's 2 different people relaying info from 2 different course mentors, so *someone* in those conversations is giving incorrect info. Neither of the posters has a truly authoritative answer. 

It's still a good idea to reach out to your enrolment advisor instead of relying on unofficial, second-hand (or third-hand) info.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(03-31-2021, 12:46 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 12:28 PM)sirius Wrote:

I'm so relieved haha.

Yeah most likely not going anywhere anytime soon. However, it's 2 different people relaying info from 2 different course mentors, so *someone* in those conversations is giving incorrect info. Neither of the posters has a truly authoritative answer. 

It's still a good idea to reach out to your enrolment advisor instead of relying on unofficial, second-hand (or third-hand) info.

I actually have a call today with mine about CLEP so I'll ask then and update the threads.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Planning Ahead Florida_Gal 12 639 11-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77