Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Teaching Licensures
I'm wondering if anyone is currently going through one of the teacher licensure programs at WGU and what your experiences are.

I should have my degree from TESU conferred in September (BALS.SS). I am considering the post-bacc/master's program, K-8 Interdisciplinary option.
In looking at WGUs pre-reqs for that program, it appears I need a couple more math classes that I didn't need for the BALS option at TESU.

Option 1:
I can rush to get those done and submitted to TESU so they are on my final transcript before July 1.
Major Concern: if I don't get them on the transcript in time, the WGU rep said they won't "count" because they either need to be part of the TESU transcript OR earned AFTER degree conferral.

Option 2:
Finish those up after September 23 and take my time (I don't intend to apply to WGU until sometime next year anyway.)
Major concern: the WGU rep could not tell me what course providers would be accepted. She didn't know if Aleks was ok or not. I know Aleks is cheap and worse case scenario it would prepare me for taking a course elsewhere. But I would rather know what the roadblocks are going to be before I get to them.

Also, are there other courses that would transfer over to WGU that anyone is aware of? I know study.com has EDU classes but I don't know if those count for anything. I tried running all these questions past the WGU rep but I kept getting the same answer - they can't advise until after they get my final transcript from TESU - which won't be until October at the earliest and doesn't really help me prepare now.

I am hoping to structure this so I can get all my coursework done in one term and all my student teaching done in a second term. (I would love to do both in one term but I've heard its not really workable).
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Are you looking at the graduate program?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Yes, its listed as a post-bacc' licensure/ master's program. For this reason, I'm not sure what, if any ACE courses would transfer but I thought I would ask. I am pretty familiar (from this forum) with what TESU will accept from ACE but WGU is a whole other game I haven't figured out yet. I like to (over)prepare - so thought I would find out if I should do anything right now to prepare (besides the two math courses).
BTW... I am not married to WGU. I like the fact I could finish in a year (possibly) and I like the cost. Even pursuing another bachelors in education with licensure would probably cost more than a master's and take as long, if not longer. If there are other options anyone is familiar with I would appreciate the input. I have a sister-in-law considering the same option and her B&M college is telling her it will take 1.5 years to finish with licensure and she already has a Master's in Education. She just wants to add the K-8 designation with licensure.
When I look at the program I think you're talking about, it's not a Master's program; it the Post-Bacc Teacher Prep (K-8). When looking at those, there are no courses that I know of that will transfer into this.

If you're looking at the MA Teaching (K-8), that also doesn't look like there's nothing you can bring in from anywhere.

For either one, it certainly couldn't hurt to take the EDU courses through Study.com, just to kind of get you thinking that way.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Technically, WGU does not accept any transfer credits for graduate programs. However, I did notice that their subject programs for licensed teachers include LL, undergraduate courses. The biology program includes intro courses that one would take for an undergraduate degree rather than advanced biology courses, but these are re-specialization programs for those who want to teach a subject in which they have no background.

Also, there are hardly any ACE courses evaluated at the graduate level.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I was kind of guessing this would be the case. I originally looked at getting licensed for middle school/high school History in their Master's program and they said I can bring over undergrad ACE credits as prereqs to the program. For example I have history and government courses but they want political science too which I don't have. So I was considering Saylor's course. They said not to worry about rushing to get those courses onto my TESU transcript as I could submit the TESU transcript plus the ACE transcript showing the courses taken AFTER the degree conferral. Those courses would only be prereqs anyway (they don't count for the actual degree program because they are not master's level courses). I was kind of hoping if I took the study.com courses or other education courses they might consider those for competency if I decided not to get the Masters. I guess I'm wondering if there is any benefit of pursing licensure only or going with the Master's degree and licensure. I'm assuming I would be a more favorable candidate with the Master's degree. I guess I'm just trying to consider all my options.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  National University - Teaching Credential ashkir 5 561 12-31-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Searching for info on online teaching certification for higher ed DIGI-212 3 1,997 12-22-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Bridge TEFL - International Diploma in English Language Teaching TESOL ($1,000) bjcheung77 25 4,558 11-14-2022, 12:37 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Masters for Teaching College Courses natshar 11 1,857 02-17-2021, 12:33 AM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Capella MEd Flexpath Teaching & Learning - $7200 and up bjcheung77 3 1,734 01-05-2021, 02:58 PM
Last Post: sofinel
  Is there any school that will accept many graduate transfer credits in teaching? Pelican 10 3,516 12-17-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: acamp
  Graduate Certificate for Teaching Adult Learners?? GoodYellowDogs 4 1,601 06-28-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Teaching in GA jcooke 1 788 06-25-2020, 08:08 AM
Last Post: HR_Mgr_Ed
  Affordable and Fast Masters wtih Teaching License jthatcher50 8 3,336 05-15-2020, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Higher Ed Teaching Certificate from Harvard (non-credit, post-secondary)) DIGI-212 0 1,118 05-14-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: DIGI-212