Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU Tuition Increase 2021
Just wanted to inform the members of this board so that they can plan accordingly. Starting August 1st for current and new students, tuition will go up between $250-$650/term(depending on the school/program). Regular tuition raises are normal and expected but I definitely feel like this was rather sudden.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WGUIT/comments/..._programs/

Even with the tuition rise, I still feel like WGU is a great option for people who can come in with a lot of transfer credits and plan to accelerate their degree or just need/want the flexibility that CBE offers.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I understand annual increases but these seem high considering how much tuition is. For the business bachelor's degrees it's an increase of almost 11% which is pretty high. A few years of increases like this and it won't be a deal anymore unfortunately. More incentive to get your degree done quickly.
(06-17-2021, 12:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I understand annual increases but these seem high considering how much tuition is. For the business bachelor's degrees it's an increase of almost 11% which is pretty high. A few years of increases like this and it won't be a deal anymore unfortunately. More incentive to get your degree done quickly.

Their last tuition increase was Jan 2019, and was $35 I believe. Prior to that, it had been something crazy like a decade without increase. I don't think we'll see similar 11% increases year after year at WGU. Hopefully.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(06-17-2021, 01:27 PM)jsd Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 12:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I understand annual increases but these seem high considering how much tuition is. For the business bachelor's degrees it's an increase of almost 11% which is pretty high. A few years of increases like this and it won't be a deal anymore unfortunately. More incentive to get your degree done quickly.

Their last tuition increase was Jan 2019, and was $35 I believe. Prior to that, it had been something crazy like a decade without increase. I don't think we'll see similar 11% increases year after year at WGU. Hopefully.

Smaller annual increases are easier for people to swallow. An 11% increase is pretty high. What was the point in raising tuition by $35 if they had not raised it in a decade? If they managed to survive with only a $35 increase 2 years ago why such steep increases now? They're using crappy Examity and really need to find an alternative way to proctor exams. Examity is just awful. I've experienced them at LSU and that was one of the factors in my deciding to leave LSU. After problems with my first 2 exams I'm done. I don't know how people do that for months and years.
11% is certainly high and not a good look. I was just speaking to the point that that we're unlikely to see 11% year after year. I used Examity at Patten U and wasn't much of a fan either. When I was at WGU they were still using ProctorU for my program. Wasn't much better, but given then choice between the two I guess I'd lean toward proctoru. RPNow would be preferable, but it's labor intensive for the institution I believe.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Given that inflation in the US is skyrocketing right now, I doubt this is the last price increase we're going to see.
agreed, but my guess is this large one was a reaction to their long stint without any increases, and going forward we see more minor increases year after year like most institutions.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(06-17-2021, 01:27 PM)jsd Wrote:

Agreed. I knew they had gone a decent length of time without an increase so this mostly market correction I think.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
jsd Wrote:agreed, but my guess is this large one was a reaction to their long stint without any increases, and going forward we see more minor increases year after year like most institutions.

MNomadic Wrote:
jsd Wrote:Their last tuition increase was Jan 2019, and was $35 I believe. Prior to that, it had been something crazy like a decade without increase. I don't think we'll see similar 11% increases year after year at WGU. Hopefully.
Agreed. I knew they had gone a decent length of time without an increase so this mostly market correction I think.

Agreed... Hopefully that increase remains low for future years to come, WGU is super affordable for many students and I feel they're doing an awesome job as is. Tuition freezes can't happen forever, with inflation and all, this nominal increase is expected.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
This is about increasing prices - just my personal experience.  I was on my HOA Board for 6 years.  During that time, I personally wanted to increase our dues a little every year (maybe $5/mo), to that if something came up in the future, if we had to make an adjustment, it wouldn't hit us too hard.  Others on the board did not want to do this - they wanted to wait until we actually needed to increase the dues until we needed to.  So we put out a survey.  And of the people who answered (which was like 25%), half wanted to increase annually, and half wanted to only increase when it was needed.  So there is just no winning this one.  Half the people will be unhappy with whatever you do.

Plus, I think WGU likes being able to say that they haven't increased their tuition in X number of years.  So, if they give a fairly large increase now, then they're "ahead" of things, and won't need to increase them for a good long time - like several years at least, and probably more.  Going forward, they'll be able to say "we haven't increased our tuition for 3 years" or whatever.  Giving smaller annual increases means you can never say that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resource Fee increase by $55 totaling $200 ashkir 0 566 07-28-2022, 11:03 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  $500 tuition credit for new students only rachel83az 8 1,918 06-24-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: carebear_007
  Info on the 2021 WGU in-person commencement ceremony Nov 20 in Las Vegas GizmoJack 0 725 09-21-2021, 09:06 PM
Last Post: GizmoJack
  $500 WGU tuition voucher akr680 2 1,894 08-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Last Post: collegechick
  WGU increased tuition on IT programs yb1 4 2,515 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU Tuition Discount jtalama 9 1,911 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Last Post: SDO