Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU alternative outside of the USA
(05-29-2021, 07:06 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For the most part, the education systems outside of the US are VERY wary of the idea of "accelerating" your university experience. I am not saying that you absolutely will not find any but you probably will not. The closest that you'll find easily, IMO, are the Master's degree titulio propios from Spain. There is a good reason why international students that come to this board choose US schools and it's not (always) because US degrees are somehow more prestigious.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I did some additional research and saw that CBE has been proposed in many countries but it hasn't made it very far. In fact, in one country some similar proposals were flat out rejected earlier this year. 

I'm still on the fence on whether I'll sign up for a titulo propio or similar, but if I do, I'll try to avoid any unrealistic expectations regarding how it could be evaluated.

I'll see it mainly as affordable higher education and if a favorable evaluation is granted, I'll be grateful.
(05-29-2021, 11:40 AM)rbat2021 Wrote:
(05-29-2021, 07:06 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For the most part, the education systems outside of the US are VERY wary of the idea of "accelerating" your university experience. I am not saying that you absolutely will not find any but you probably will not. The closest that you'll find easily, IMO, are the Master's degree titulio propios from Spain. There is a good reason why international students that come to this board choose US schools and it's not (always) because US degrees are somehow more prestigious.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I did some additional research and saw that CBE has been proposed in many countries but it hasn't made it very far. In fact, in one country some similar proposals were flat out rejected earlier this year. 

I'm still on the fence on whether I'll sign up for a titulo propio or similar, but if I do, I'll try to avoid any unrealistic expectations regarding how it could be evaluated.

I'll see it mainly as affordable higher education and if a favorable evaluation is granted, I'll be grateful.

Did you research Assam Don Bosco University, based out of India?
(05-28-2021, 08:42 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I am not sure how old you are, but I do remember the International Correspondence Schools with the Commercials with Sally Struthers.  This may jog your memory... https://youtu.be/Fj23I8hgj28

Wow, now there's a blast from the past.
Wow, that was a deep cut back in my brain.

Is ICS now Penn Foster, or did I make that up just based on them both having a Pennsylvania connection?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Vle045
(03-23-2022, 06:59 PM)Seraphgrim Wrote:
(05-28-2021, 08:42 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I am not sure how old you are, but I do remember the International Correspondence Schools with the Commercials with Sally Struthers.  This may jog your memory... https://youtu.be/Fj23I8hgj28

Wow, now there's a blast from the past.

It's like a time warp! Those commercials were on nonstop. I wonder whatever happened to it. Purchased? Bankrupt? I wonder if operators are still standing by.

ETA: Is this it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICS_Learn_...e_Schools)
(03-23-2022, 07:06 PM)jsd Wrote: Wow, that was a deep cut back in my brain.

Is ICS now Penn Foster, or did I make that up just based on them both having a Pennsylvania connection?

Yup - ICS became Penn Foster at some point. I believe they still use (or did until recently) the ICS brand in Canada.
Not all masters titulo propio let you accelerate. Mainly are a few and usually centered around business thematics.
I actually completed the high school diploma from ICS Newport/Pacific High School, based in Scranton, PA! I still think of it sometimes when they talk about Scranton on The Office, lol. Completing courses at Sophia actually felt very reminiscent - good material, similar difficulty, learned a lot, open book. The irony is when I went to apply to colleges, they did not even recognize my ICS diploma, whereas my Sophia credits are worth most of a college degree. I ended up getting my GED and going directly into my career, which is why I'm here so many years later.
Amity University in India is regionally accredited. I think they allow you to accelerate. Only thing I couldn’t figure out is whether or not it was open to non-Indians. They actually have a few graduate programs that look cool and are pretty cheap.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • Pikachu
Last summer I saw this nailed to the side of a sandwich shop in Misquamicut, RI:

[Image: ICS-25.jpg]
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 3 users Like SteveFoerster's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts, Tedium

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 688 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Are alternative credits only an American thing? mojave 24 2,253 09-08-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Alternative Teacher Licensure rlw74 10 1,556 02-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: hennygrean
  Alternative Credentials Alpha 4 772 05-04-2022, 12:59 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Applied Business Statistics - alternative source? Vle045 6 1,047 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Seeking alternative credit options Vle045 15 2,207 05-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Alternative sources for studying? Vle045 6 1,382 05-10-2021, 02:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  which Nat or Reg ranked unis accept alternative credit? rvm 9 1,732 08-15-2020, 12:48 PM
Last Post: rvm
Question Other BSBA Programs allow max alternative credit? SCYankee 13 3,176 06-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Alternative for those with limited time thepoetvd776 15 2,898 03-19-2019, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie