Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downside of Being in an International Program
My program at University of Florida is a joint program with University of Edinburgh in Scotland. I guess it's kind of cool to see how things work in other countries, but forensics is very legal-specific. The instructor for one of my current courses is in Scotland.

We had an assignment on child abuse, which should be easy for me because I used to assess child abuse and neglect reports. I'm fuming because I got a 91. My point deductions were based on not recommending that the medical professional contact the school for attendance and other non-medical records before making a report to law enforcement or social services. Well, the U.S. has this little law called FERPA!

I also got points taken off because I recommended that the hospital immediately contact law enforcement or social services after the father left the hospital with a young child covered in bruises after telling a suspicious story and before the child could be examined. My instructor thinks that the hospital should contact various family members and basically conduct their own investigation before making a report. 

Do you know what is the problem with this? In the U.S., states have mandated reporter laws. If a medical professional suspects abuse, and the injuries aren't consistent with an accident or a known medical condition, then they have to report. The UK has no mandated reporting law!
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs
(02-13-2019, 03:31 PM)sanantone Wrote: My program at University of Florida is a joint program with University of Edinburgh in Scotland. I guess it's kind of cool to see how things work in other countries, but forensics is very legal-specific. The instructor for one of my current courses is in Scotland.

We had an assignment on child abuse, which should be easy for me because I used to assess child abuse and neglect reports. I'm fuming because I got a 91. My point deductions were based on not recommending that the medical professional contact the school for attendance and other non-medical records before making a report to law enforcement or social services. Well, the U.S. has this little law called FERPA!

I also got points taken off because I recommended that the hospital immediately contact law enforcement or social services after the father left the hospital with a young child covered in bruises after telling a suspicious story and before the child could be examined. My instructor thinks that the hospital should contact various family members and basically conduct their own investigation before making a report. 

Do you know what is the problem with this? In the U.S., states have mandated reporter laws. If a medical professional suspects abuse, and the injuries aren't consistent with an accident or a known medical condition, then they have to report. The UK has no mandated reporting law!

That sounds like something that can be cleared up with an email to make sure the instructor understands the differences between US and UK privacy and child abuse reporting laws. But yeah I can see how it would be frustrating. On the other hand, I suspect that there are other interesting aspects of this kind of program.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Yeah, that would make me mad too. I hate when I KNOW I'm right and someone tells me I'm wrong!!! GRRRR!

And I agree with Merlin, a quick email to point out exactly what you stated here is in order.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Oh, I sent an email as soon as I finished reading her comments. Now, I'm just waiting.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
She's not budging even though I quoted the statute that says that everyone is required to report suspected child abuse immediately. Her response to the whole FERPA thing was that she's usually able to get information from schools. She's in Scotland! I explained to her how FERPA works in the U.S. Since she's a TA, she's having a professor look over my assignment. Ugh.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • studiousimp
Oh, wow. That really sucks. It is a cool program in theory. I hope you get it sorted. I wonder if Scottish students are running into the same issue? In situations like that do you learn for the foreign tester or actually learn your country’s laws?

Maybe that’s something that can be brought up with the program heads. I would want someone to know my country’s laws and not the foreign laws of their instructors. The program should have the same goals. Maybe it’s just something they overlooked?
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
They gave me two additional points.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 254 8 hours ago
Last Post: armado
  I am looking for a budget online MBA program ranked among the top 50 in USA shrekr 51 15,435 01-15-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Most affordable online Master in Finance for international student David1477 23 2,290 12-12-2023, 07:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,271 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,633 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Sacramento State launches accelerated, fully online iMBA program LevelUP 7 1,206 09-04-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: datby98
Question Saylor starting an MBA program?! jch 40 4,358 09-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,203 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  DTSC-660 at Eastern University (MS in Data Science program) AwardTour 3 1,717 05-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: AnonStudent
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 15 2,725 05-15-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Vle045