Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU announces the B.S. in Cloud Computing
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/cl...pnUkE9PSJ9
------------------

Looks like it replaces their B.S. Cloud and Systems Administration degree?

These niche degrees they've been moving to in the past few years are a bit much.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • akr680
They changed the name, but the courses they require are exactly the same as the old degree. Not sure what's going on, but nothing new here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Oh Yeah...that's what I thought, it was under a slightly different name as I read that last week or about 10 days ago.
Here's the link of the previous post: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Computing?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-17-2020, 01:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They changed the name, but the courses they require are exactly the same as the old degree.  Not sure what's going on, but nothing new here.
Yeah I don’t think they’ve updated the site yet but I think I read they are removing some of the certs and replacing with more cloud focused ones
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(03-17-2020, 03:07 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(03-17-2020, 01:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: They changed the name, but the courses they require are exactly the same as the old degree.  Not sure what's going on, but nothing new here.
Yeah I don’t think they’ve updated the site yet but I think I read they are removing some of the certs and replacing with more cloud focused ones

The changes to the degree requirements happened a few months ago.  The name change happened more recently.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
Honestly, my husband liked the sound of the previous title better. I don't care much for the updated version either!
Either one is fine with mine, he doesn't really care. The word "cloud" is enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
(03-17-2020, 06:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Either one is fine with mine, he doesn't really care. The word "cloud" is enough.

Oh, is he currently pursuing this, @dfrecore?
I feel like WGU's focus on the name choice for degrees is a disservice. Algorithms are looking for Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology. Deviating from that makes the degree look odd and suspect if you're just scanning quick and don't know what WGU is.

Why people don't just knock out the B.S. Information Technology degree is beyond me. WGU's certification model makes it too specific to be really helpful. No MCSA Microsoft Certs? Linux? VMware? Azure? A Cloud Engineer needs to know Linux very deep, but they barely touch it.When someone has a WGU degree, i just think "Okay, they spent $15k to get a AWS/CCNA/insert cert here.

If WGU had been a for profit school using industry certification for it's coursework, people would be up at arms about it. WGU rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
[-] The following 1 user Likes xicovu's post:
  • jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia.org python transfer to wgu (cloud computing) Clepking100 6 2,117 07-19-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Information WGU Revamps Cloud Computing Degree(AWS, Azure, Multicloud Tracks) MNomadic 11 4,139 04-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU - BSCC (BS in Cloud Computing) CarpeDiem8 16 4,822 03-25-2020, 05:28 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  WGU's new BS in Cloud and Systems Administration dfrecore 3 3,457 10-29-2017, 06:17 AM
Last Post: jsd