Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for 7 month break from WGU
In my degree progress thread, I posted the how's and why's I am pausing on my current degree with WGU till next August. I am considering my options of either taking more classes and getting licensed to teach math 5-12 or pursuing another degree during these 7 months. I really do not want to teach high school math and prefer the elementary to middle school grades. The highest I want to teach is Algebra 1 or Geometry but I do not really want to dabble into PreCalculus.

I had considered a BA in History at one point as private schools in my area typically only require a BA to teach. I am not sure if TESU will accept WGU courses?  Is TESU the best option for a history degree? History has always been a favorite subject of mine to personally study and to teach. But would it be better to pursue a Liberal Arts degree? I am considering all options right now. Any advice anyone? Here is a list of courses I have taken:

CLEP
English Compositions with Essay                                              
College Algebra
US History 1
US History 2
Biology
Human Growth and Development
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature with Essay

DSST
Foundations of Education

STRAIGHTERLINE                                                   
Intro to World Religions                                                           
Intro to Communications
American Government
Western Civilization 1
Western Civilization 2
PreCalculus
Intro to Biology Lab

STUDY.COM
Personal Finance                                                                     
Educational Psychology
Special Education History and Law
Classroom Management
Geology
Civil War and Reconstruction
History of the Vietnam War 108

SOPHIA.COM           
Developing Effective Teams
INSTITUTES
Ethics and CPC Professional Code   

TEEX
 Cyber Security 101 & 301

WGU
4 Credit Hour Courses
Finite Mathematics
College Geometry
Probability and Statistics I
Calculus I
Mathematics History and Technology
Mathematics Learning and Teaching
 3 Credit Hour Courses
Critical Thinking and Logic
Educational Assessment
Cultural Studies and Diversity
Fundamentals of Diversity, Inclusion, and Exceptional Learners
Introduction to Instructional Planning and Presentation
Instructional Planning and Presentation in Mathematics
Introduction to Preclinical Experiences
Preclinical Experiences in Mathematics
7 Credit Hour Courses
 Middle School Mathematics: Content Knowledge

I have attached part of an unoffical transcript from WGU to show how my ACE courses were counted there.

Attached Files
.png   unoffical transcript.PNG (Size: 60.81 KB / Downloads: 10)
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

Even if they only require a BA, do you think you would be competitive against the other candidates with just the BA? If yes, I think you should go for the TESU BA in History!

I'm not clear on how you feel about pursuing Math 5-12 versus History though. You would like either one? How many classes do you need to be able to teach Math 5-12? You also need practicum?

I really do not prefer to pursue the Math 5-12 option mainly because I do not like teaching on the high school level. I would have to take an additional 13 courses plus my student teaching practium if I went that route. The logic behind that choice is it would give me more of a range of grades to teach than the 5-9 option.
Here are the thirteen classes:

Calculus II
Probability and Statistics II
Calculus III
Mathematics: Content Knowledge (Praxis 5161)
Mathematical Modeling and Applications
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Advanced Calculus
Secondary Reading Instruction and Interventions
Secondary Disciplinary Literacy
Algebra for Secondary Mathematics Teaching
Geometry for Secondary Mathematics Teaching
Statistics and Probability for Secondary Mathematics Teaching

I would rather pursue a history degree as I think I could get it done much more efficiently than tackling those courses. I am still composing a degree plan for the history. If I went this route, I would still finish my Math 5-9 degree as well.
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

Oh I didn't put a couple things together before. I think history would be easier too Smile

At our local charter school, which is very highly rated (as opposed to our sucky public schools), you do not have to have a degree in a certain subject to teach that subject.  So, my son's favorite teacher last year was his math teacher, who had an English degree.  His favorite teacher this year is his Great Books teacher (English), who was formerly a lawyer!  Not that it matters to you if you're not here, but it is pretty common if you're not going to be teaching in a regular public school, to be able to have any kind of degree (and still be successful).

Anyway, I would definitely transfer your transcripts to TESU for a History degree.  I would also contact them after they have everything and done your eval, to see about getting a Learner Designated Area of Study - with Education as that AOS.  Not certain if they will do it, but it certainly can't hurt to ask!  You certainly have enough credits for it - and UL I'm sure.

I would also ask if they would plan in the Study.com Research Methods in Psychology for the Research Methods in History requirement.  Someone here reported that they were able to use it for a CJ degree, and they were told they could use it for any SocSci Research Methods course.  It's not guaranteed, but it would certainly save you a bundle.

I made a degree plan for History, if you decide to go that way.

Good luck!

Attached Files
.xlsx   teacher2 TESU 2016 BA History.xlsx (Size: 50 KB / Downloads: 6)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas, teacher2
Thank you dfrecore! I was just about to start piecing together a degree plan -your plan's amazing! The public schools aren't that great where I am either. Is there an alternative to the History of the Soviet Union DSST? The nearest DSST testing center is a little over 2 hours away.

(11-13-2017, 07:41 PM)teacher2 Wrote: Thank you dfrecore! I was just about to start piecing together a degree plan -your plan's amazing! The public schools aren't that great where I am either. Is there an alternative to the History of the Soviet Union DSST? The nearest DSST testing center is a little over 2 hours away.

Obviously there are always other options, it's just a matter of paying for them.  UofArkansas Self-Paced ($480), UnivofIdaho IS ($510), CSU-Pueblo Indep. Study ($555), and LSU Distance Learning ($795) all have some UL history courses.

It also depends on whether the Study.com Vietnam War class you took comes in as UL or LL.  If it comes in as UL, then you can find a LL course to replace it with, and you should have a much easier time of it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Some people were told that the Study.com Vietnam War course was LL already, but others are pretty sure that it's UL if you transfer it soon (within about a month from now). Also the Study.com course Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War should be if you transfer it soon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Course Options - Need Advice SCM101 2 439 10-18-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: SCM101
  Need Overall Advice Alim83 9 975 06-19-2023, 03:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Will start in over a month, what can I do in the mean time? thepoetvd776 5 781 01-15-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice on WGU Business Management HorseManiac 5 2,327 06-29-2020, 12:25 PM
Last Post: xicovu
  Advice on WGU THEBLASTFUN 7 2,364 04-20-2020, 02:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Take a Break During Proctored Assignments natshar 0 811 02-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Last Post: natshar
  NEED WGU ADVICE - BSB-HR and transfer credits? jessikalauren 13 4,504 05-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Last Post: jessikalauren
  Western Governors University - do you have any advice on head starts? wanderer168 0 778 06-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Last Post: wanderer168