Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU questions
1. Does anyone have a degree plan for WGU business management? how about HR?

2. Does WGU accept Shmoop? Any other Ace credits I should be aware of that Wgu does not accept.

3. Which  undergraduate degrees from WGU are the most test out friendly? Answers for this question can be from any or all of the four colleges at WGU.

Just helping out a friend and curious myself as well. Thanks.

Edit: please move to the correct fourm
I don't have an updated plan, but it's easy to make one from the guidelines: https://partners.wgu.edu/transferguidelines

I think they're all test-friendly. Since you have to take 30cr from there anyway, I don't think there's a degree in business or IT that you can't get the other 90cr cheaply/easily.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-08-2019, 12:00 PM)natshar Wrote: 1. Does anyone have a degree plan for WGU business management? how about HR?

2. Does WGU accept Shmoop? Any other Ace credits I should be aware of that Wgu does not accept.

3. Which  undergraduate degrees from WGU are the most test out friendly? Answers for this question can be from any or all of the four colleges at WGU.

Please refer the below attachment for BS- ITM

Attached Files
.png   WGU BS ITM.png (Size: 174.24 KB / Downloads: 43)
------------------

[-] The following 1 user Likes akr680's post:
  • Jrellis
WGU does not take Shmoop.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(07-08-2019, 12:00 PM)natshar Wrote: 1. Does anyone have a degree plan for WGU business management? how about HR?

WGU also doesn't take NCCRS credits. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

WGU is around $3300 for 6 months
during that 6 months you can take as many courses as you like --all at your own pace

from what I've read on reddit many courses are fairly easy and can be completed in less than two weeks

I think the best degree plan may be just to sign up and start
(07-08-2019, 05:12 PM)bluebooger Wrote: WGU is around $3300 for 6 months
during that 6 months you can take as many courses as you like --all at your own pace

from what I've read on reddit many courses are fairly easy and can be completed in less than two weeks

Only if you have $3300 up front, and think you can complete a degree in that time.  For most of us paying cash out-of-pocket, this is not a good starting point.  It's also not good for someone who isn't sure they want to commit, or who doesn't think they can commit, the time necessary to do courses quickly, and over a long period of time like this.  I for one, can't just decide to spend 6 months getting a degree and to hell with my family and other obligations.  My life just isn't set up to do that and neither are many people's.

For some people, WGU is a great option, and I highly recommend it.  But only after you've proven to yourself that you can complete the work in the time needed - and you can't do that without spending some time doing college-level coursework first.  I recommend it for people who have 60-90 credits and know they can spend a good chunk of every day working on it for the next 6 months.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • akr680

As with any competency-based program, the speed you can finish a course depends on a lot of factors. The biggest factor being how much you already know about a topic before you begin a course. Just like with folks taking classes with Straighterline or Study.com, Some people complete WGU courses in a day or two, while others take 6-8 weeks or more.

For example, I completed the Managing Human Capital course for my MBA in two days. I could have done it in one day except I wanted to skim over the course materials to make sure that there wasn't anything unexpected. But I could only do that because I have more than two decades of business management experience, and a ton of that was HR related. That said, most of my courses have been taking between 1-2 weeks to complete, with two courses having taken 3-4 weeks each. Mostly due to being graduate-level courses with a ton of moving parts. Nothing I've been doing so far has been new to me, but I have had to dust off some rather rusty skills in some cases.

WGU isn't the best choice for everyone, but it is a good fit for people who prepare properly. For someone who wants the maximum flexibility and lowest cost for their WGU undergrad degree, I still recommend taking courses via CLEP and ACE and transferring in 90 credits towards the degree. That way they can just complete the last 30 credits (10 courses) with WGU and take a more leisurely approach.

But if you have the dedication, you can power through a degree from WGU just as fast by taking all the courses directly from the school. The downside is that if it takes longer than six months to complete all the courses, you will have to pay for a second term. On the upside unlike taking ACE courses, you can get financial aid for taking courses from WGU, and given their low tuition rates, a little financial aid can go a long way.

(07-08-2019, 06:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Only if you have $3300 up front, and think you can complete a degree in that time.  For most of us paying cash out-of-pocket, this is not a good starting point.

Well, one of the big advantages of taking courses via WGU instead of taking them via CLEP or ACE is that you can use financial aid for WGU courses. That said, even if you don't qualify (or don't want to use it), WGU also offers payment plans for self-pay students, so you can spread that $3,300 over 4 months

(07-08-2019, 06:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It's also not good for someone who isn't sure they want to commit, or who doesn't think they can commit, the time necessary to do courses quickly, and over a long period of time like this.  I for one, can't just decide to spend 6 months getting a degree and to hell with my family and other obligations.  My life just isn't set up to do that and neither are many people's.

I totally agree with this. Being a student at WGU means you have to resolve yourself to dedicate at least 20 hours a week to your studies. Particularly if you want to save money and minimize the number of terms you'll need to pay for (or get financial aid or an employer to cover). The nice thing is that if you're willing to self-pay, you can still take the bulk of your courses via CLEP and ACE courses and set your own schedule. That way you only need to focus on completing the last 10 courses over 6 months at WGU, which gives you about 18 days to complete each course. I think that is reasonable even for people who have crazy schedules.

(07-08-2019, 06:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For some people, WGU is a great option, and I highly recommend it.  But only after you've proven to yourself that you can complete the work in the time needed - and you can't do that without spending some time doing college-level coursework first.  I recommend it for people who have 60-90 credits and know they can spend a good chunk of every day working on it for the next 6 months.

Great advice!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about WGU MBA RoyalSpade 5 2,510 12-06-2020, 05:00 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Questions regarding WGU and other issues. JSN7 22 7,920 05-27-2020, 11:24 AM
Last Post: JSN7