Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU to launch new accelerated bachelors to masters degree
(03-21-2022, 04:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The comment was because WGU wants their $$$ from the students. That's how they stay in business. From what I'm reading elsewhere many people are disappointed that they can't accelerate and are stuck paying for at least 2 terms - 1 undergrad and 1 grad. Seems like they thought it would be a true BS/MS program where both degrees are completed at the end and they could do both in 1 term.

WGU is a nonprofit. They are charging near what it costs them to deliver the degree programs. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "WGU wants their $$$ from the students."

Making it easier for students to get a master's degree in one term isn't WGU taking more dollars from students.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(03-21-2022, 05:04 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 04:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote: The comment was because WGU wants their $$$ from the students. That's how they stay in business. From what I'm reading elsewhere many people are disappointed that they can't accelerate and are stuck paying for at least 2 terms - 1 undergrad and 1 grad. Seems like they thought it would be a true BS/MS program where both degrees are completed at the end and they could do both in 1 term.

WGU is a nonprofit. They are charging near what it costs them to deliver the degree programs. 

Making it easier for students to get a master's degree in one term isn't WGU taking more dollars from students.

Being a nonprofit doesn't mean that they don't make a profit. Of course they do or they would be out of business. A business can't operate in the negative for too long. All schools want their $$$$ from their students. That's what keeps them in business. None of them are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They're businesses. By not allowing students complete both the BS and MS in the SAME term they are taking more $$$$ from students.
(03-21-2022, 05:21 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 05:04 PM)LevelUP Wrote:

Being a nonprofit doesn't mean that they don't make a profit. Of course they do or they would be out of business. A business can't operate in the negative for too long. All schools want their $$$$ from their students. That's what keeps them in business. None of them are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. They're businesses. By not allowing students complete both the BS and MS in the SAME term they are taking more $$$$ from students.

WGU is a nonprofit.

A non-profit organization is a group organized for purposes other than generating a profit and in which no part of the organization's income is distributed to its members, directors, or officers.

A nonprofit can raise money through tax-deductible donations. The state can also give these nonprofit schools money.

WGU doesn't need to earn more from tuition than it pays in expenses.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
According to a comment on Reddit, they may also be working on a similar accelerated program for the cloud computing degree. I'd surmise that they may be working on similar programs for other degrees. The BSCSIA already includes 2 certs that can transfer in to the MSCSIA to replace 2 courses: Pentest+ and isc2 SSCP, so it wouldn't be hard to offer a few other grad classes at the undergrad level to accelerate the masters.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
According to a commenter on reddit:
Quote:The 4 MSITM courses will replace 4 of the courses normally taken by students in the BSIT. The 4 BSIT courses they will replace are listed below.
· C724 ( Information Systems Management)
· C850 (Emerging Technologies)
· C176 (Business of IT - Project Management)
· C768 (Technical Communication)

So if that's true, my guess was pretty spot on.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/ac...JMVFxtmzKc

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
I'm still in "Applicant" status at WGU due to the fact that I'm still collecting outside transfer credits and this program (along with some things happening in my career) has the potential to pull me away from the BSCSIA I had my sights set on.
Current: WGU BS, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (082/122 credits)
Done: Pierpont AAS, Board of Governors: Information Systems emphasis (awarded Dec 2022)
Looks like WGU posted degree requirements.

https://www.wgu.edu/content/dam/wgu-65-a...SITMUG.pdf

https://partners.wgu.edu/Pages/Single.as...42&pid=163

WGU IT Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

WGU IT & Master's IT Management Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • MNomadic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 867 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,078 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 497 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,035 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 372 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,174 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 902 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Let's get WGU's CS degree for $5k nomaduser 6 1,481 03-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
  15-year-old with master’s degree prepares for law school Imbanewbie 7 1,167 03-11-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU doctorate degree on the horizon? School putting out survey call for an EdD jsd 2 2,104 03-03-2023, 12:51 AM
Last Post: MNomadic