Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU vs PATTEN
I am smack dab in the middle of this dilemma right now. I have applied and been conditionally accepted to both and now it is just a question of making a decision and jumping in. The only reason that I even considered Patten is because my TESC capstone will not be finished until the end of September and this may push my start date until Nov. 1st at WGU. With Patten, I can do the pre-req's this summer while I am doing my TESC capstone, and there is even some rumors floating around (which my Patten adviser could not confirm nor deny) that Patten will transfer in Org Behavior from straighterline as a grad class, leaving 11 classes to complete. If Patten offers the reduced tuition this fall, with the other factors I just listed... Patten it is. If WGU relaxes a bit and lets me begin on October 1st (even after just completing my capstone on sept. 27), then WGU it is.
Profit vs. Non-Profit matters very little in my line of work (hospitality/hotel management), as it is really about learning applicable material and getting the qualification on the resume. RA is important to me simply because I may want to go further in my education and I feel it would be better in that regard.
The internal debate continues...
B.A. Social Science, Thomas Edison State College
M.B.A. Strategic Management, Patten University (in progress)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
103 credits from 4 different Colleges over 15 years.
Liberal Arts Capstone:
Thomas Edison State College
DSST:
Technical Writing
History of the Vietnam War
Principles of Supervision
CLEP:
College Comp
Straighterline:
Business Ethics
derek12538 Wrote:I am smack dab in the middle of this dilemma right now. I have applied and been conditionally accepted to both and now it is just a question of making a decision and jumping in. The only reason that I even considered Patten is because my TESC capstone will not be finished until the end of September and this may push my start date until Nov. 1st at WGU. With Patten, I can do the pre-req's this summer while I am doing my TESC capstone, and there is even some rumors floating around (which my Patten adviser could not confirm nor deny) that Patten will transfer in Org Behavior from straighterline as a grad class, leaving 11 classes to complete. If Patten offers the reduced tuition this fall, with the other factors I just listed... Patten it is. If WGU relaxes a bit and lets me begin on October 1st (even after just completing my capstone on sept. 27), then WGU it is.
Profit vs. Non-Profit matters very little in my line of work (hospitality/hotel management), as it is really about learning applicable material and getting the qualification on the resume. RA is important to me simply because I may want to go further in my education and I feel it would be better in that regard.
The internal debate continues...

It is very close for me right now as well

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Patten does accept the SL Org class, making Patten 11 classes. WGU is also 11 classes. Patten is very appealing to me mostly because of the cheaper cost and Patten doing an average of 80% on the project and test. I think WGU still is the favorite for me. I just tend to look at things down the road and I think WGU is really booming right now and in my opinion I feel they will be more looked at better than Patten for years to come.
MSML, Western Governors University (In Progress)
MBA, Western Governors University (Check)
B.S. Charter Oak State College (Check)

Transferred in 84 Credits from a 4 year school

COSC - Cornerstone (A), Capstone (A)
Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%
Patten has the $350 per month special going on right now until the end of June, which would make a 1 year program around $4200, a, 8 month program around $2800. The 8 month track seem more attainable with your pre-reqs and the Org Behavior class knocked out. If they still offer me that tuition deal in October, it is a real selling point.

If Patten was not going to let me start a month before my BA is conferred and WGU was not pushing me into a possible November or December start, would I still be as high on attending WGU? Probably.
Tough choice as of right now...
Liberal Arts Capstone:
DSST:
Technical Writing
CLEP:
College Comp
Straighterline:
Business Ethics
Just a FYI if it hasn't been mentioned... Patten hired away many WGU staff to develop the program at Patten. It was modeled after the WGU program.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

GoodYellowDogs,
Thank you for chiming in! I have read your posts... very informative, so thanks!
I just received word from a Patten adviser that they do not take Straighterline Org Behavior for the fulfillment of a MBA level class. My adviser is extremely ambiguous about the manner in which the prerequisites can be fulfilled, as I feel like she wants me to take them at Patten in order to prolong my attendance.
Can you possibly link me up with your adviser? The person I am dealing with has a lot of information that seems to be different from what is on the website itself.
Thanks!
Liberal Arts Capstone:
DSST:
Technical Writing
CLEP:
College Comp
Straighterline:
Business Ethics
derek12538 Wrote:GoodYellowDogs,
Thank you for chiming in! I have read your posts... very informative, so thanks!
I just received word from a Patten adviser that they do not take Straighterline Org Behavior for the fulfillment of a MBA level class. My adviser is extremely ambiguous about the manner in which the prerequisites can be fulfilled, as I feel like she wants me to take them at Patten in order to prolong my attendance.
Can you possibly link me up with your adviser? The person I am dealing with has a lot of information that seems to be different from what is on the website itself.
Thanks!

I would call and ask for a new advisor, the ones who want you to go slow get on my nerves.

Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%
Where is everyone finding $350/mo for Patten? They seem to be giving me their standard $520/mo price.
^^^ To answer my own question--talk to one of their advisors and they'll give you the discount. :-)

I'm stuck between these two as well. WGU seems to be making a name for themselves, but I hate busy work and Patten seems to cut that down to a minimum...
Cory Wrote:Where is everyone finding $350/mo for Patten? They seem to be giving me their standard $520/mo price.
^^^ To answer my own question--talk to one of their advisors and they'll give you the discount. :-)

I'm stuck between these two as well. WGU seems to be making a name for themselves, but I hate busy work and Patten seems to cut that down to a minimum...

I believe it was a special offer, and last I knew it was extended until June 15th. I would call back and talk with someone else or try the chat option on the website, remember persistence is key. Often times enrollment /advising people do not know what they are talking about. I suggest talking to multiple people to get the answers you need.

Straighterline
This is a comedy of errors.
I just spoke to a person in the registrars office and she said that if you pay now for the first term, you can lock in the $350 price and defer your enrollment to September, which I would have to do since my degree will not be conferred until then. Then, of course, my adviser knew nothing of that process.
The adviser also told me that there is no way any student has received graduate credit for the Straighterline Org Behavior class, as it is an undergraduate offering. However, there are quite a few people that have posted contrary information in regards to this.
The disorganization is to be somewhat expected, as I am sure they are using people of lesser experience in order to cut costs in every way possible. Continued misinformation builds up doubt as to whether or not I want to involve myself with this institution. The thought of getting a MBA in 8 months and having it cost less than $3k is so very enticing...
Liberal Arts Capstone:
DSST:
Technical Writing
CLEP:
College Comp
Straighterline:
Business Ethics
derek12538 Wrote:This is a comedy of errors.
I just spoke to a person in the registrars office and she said that if you pay now for the first term, you can lock in the $350 price and defer your enrollment to September, which I would have to do since my degree will not be conferred until then. Then, of course, my adviser knew nothing of that process.
The adviser also told me that there is no way any student has received graduate credit for the Straighterline Org Behavior class, as it is an undergraduate offering. However, there are quite a few people that have posted contrary information in regards to this.
The disorganization is to be somewhat expected, as I am sure they are using people of lesser experience in order to cut costs in every way possible. Continued misinformation builds up doubt as to whether or not I want to involve myself with this institution. The thought of getting a MBA in 8 months and having it cost less than $3k is so very enticing...

They were very friendly for me, but I received a definitive no to this. They advised I must have an official transcript showing my degree was conferred 30 days prior to the start of the term. They advised there was no way to defer my enrollment under the discount rate.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MBA - WGU vs. JFK (Patten) sanantone 7 1,884 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Masters Help Patten Replacement armstrongsubero 12 2,616 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Patten University Closing chorizo 9 5,831 07-25-2018, 02:32 PM
  Patten University MBA Finishers? RANSOMSOUL 20 7,903 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Patten MBA Review study0019 12 4,015 05-05-2018, 09:13 PM
  Patten MBA germ 7 2,144 02-21-2018, 06:57 AM
  Transferring Credits from Patten University Andrew670 5 2,734 12-11-2017, 03:08 AM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL
  Is patten difficult? creditmonsoon 11 2,866 03-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Last Post: armyb77
  WGU MS in Accounting or Patten MBA in Finance? xbrad2 4 1,607 10-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Last Post: xbrad2
  Patten MBA Feedback Andrew670 36 6,268 07-14-2016, 11:11 PM