Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU while living abroad?
Has anyone had experience studying a MA with WGU while living outside the USA? please advise.
WGU is pretty much US only, with the exception of limited parts of Canada and US military bases overseas
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
You could lie about your residence, but the foreign ringtone when calling someone overseas even to a US number might give it away unless you use some type of VOIP.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
sigh, this is sad. WGU is a great option for Grad work.
I guess you could use Skype phone. WGU is great, but its major caveat is that you have to take a full load or none at all. There is no in-between. that could be stressful while traveling outside the US for work or pleasure, and still taking classes. Also, because of proctoring, there may be issues with living overseas, while still a US resident.
jadae@wgu.edu Wrote:I guess you could use Skype phone. WGU is great, but its major caveat is that you have to take a full load or none at all. There is no in-between. that could be stressful while traveling outside the US for work or pleasure, and still taking classes. Also, because of proctoring, there may be issues with living overseas, while still a US resident.

Do they do live proctoring online or through a service like proctorU?
You'll either be using ProctorU or Examity (they're very similar). It varies based on which college within the University for some odd reason. IT uses Examity.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I did all mine, except 1, in person at a local college. For the exception, I did it with the web cam they provide, and they are very strict. Much more strict than Straighterline's online proctor. So you would need to consider if having someone stare at you while you take an exam for a long time is within your comfort zone or not.
So, is there a good option for someone located outside the US?
Goal: Anything. Just need the paper. 
In Progress: last few 300-400 level, Am Gov
Complete: [Sophia]: CSMLearn, TEEX DI, Art History 2, English Comp 2, Sociology, Ethics, Project Management, Human Bio, US Hist2, Intro to Business, Microeconomics, Accounting, Finance, Greek Phil, Stats, Conflict Res (1CR), Visual Comm, Dev Effective Teams,  [SL]: Bus Law [ALEKS]: Intermediate Algebra [Institutes]: Ethics [CLEP]: Western Civ I [Murrray State University]: 5CR: MAT130 MAT230 4CR: GSC199 ENG105 CHE101 ITD107 PHY130/131 3CR: COM161 MAT117 ART121 HIS221 PSY180 CHN101 RGS200 CSC199 CET284 ECO230 JPN350 RES132 THD104 1CR: IDC199 MSU099

Is the question more for US students living abroad or students that are not US citizens? Asking because I have never had any issues while traveling internationally and working through my classes. More than half of my MSML was done while I was in Colombia. My proctored exams just happened to work out when I was in the states so I can't confirm if Examity would have been ok with Colombia/International.

I shared with WGU during my launch that I would be traveling internationally and there was zero push back. WGU/Mentor just asked how they could best help with communication and stressed how they would work around my schedule to best support me. There was never discussions about restrictions in connection to me being out of the country.

I have not posted much about my journey with WGU (I will provide a detailed one) but it should be mentioned that it has been an awesome overall experience. The course material, mentor, and the process have been great. For those that are weighing options, WGU should be very high on your list.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,655 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,430 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Lowest cost online MBA's (USA or Abroad) theedude 61 10,806 04-05-2021, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  Getting an Online Graduate Degree While Working Abroad aroliver1993 9 1,543 09-02-2020, 01:28 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Masters in Civil Engineering + online + abroad Peter123456789 2 1,051 01-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Peter123456789