Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WGU while living abroad?
RANSOMSOUL Wrote:Is the question more for US students living abroad or students that are not US citizens? Asking because I have never had any issues while traveling internationally and working through my classes. More than half of my MSML was done while I was in Colombia. My proctored exams just happened to work out when I was in the states so I can't confirm if Examity would have been ok with Colombia/International.

I shared with WGU during my launch that I would be traveling internationally and there was zero push back. WGU/Mentor just asked how they could best help with communication and stressed how they would work around my schedule to best support me. There was never discussions about restrictions in connection to me being out of the country.

I have not posted much about my journey with WGU (I will provide a detailed one) but it should be mentioned that it has been an awesome overall experience. The course material, mentor, and the process have been great. For those that are weighing options, WGU should be very high on your list.

I am a US citizen but living abroad. Quite a few friends (who are US citizens) are interested in WGU as well.
For US Citizens/Resident's, you may want to get in contact with an Enrollment Counselor after you have been admitted to the university. Info on their website:

International Students
Thank you for your interest in WGU. At the present time, WGU is only accepting applications from individuals living in the U.S., Guam, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, as well as from U.S. military personnel and their families at overseas installations. WGU is also now accepting applications from Canadian residents in certain select geographic areas. (An Enrollment Counselor has more information about which areas are eligible to submit applications.)

Unfortunately, we have discovered that we cannot always guarantee that the educational experience for students living outside the United States will meet our high standards for quality and convenience. It is our expectation that these issues will be resolved in future years. We wish you well in your educational pursuits and regret that we cannot help you at this time.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Another option is Patten University. Although I can't recommend the BA. Psych there because of issues with the course/test content, I believe people have had success with their Masters program. Might be worth taking a look as they do accept international students and also will quite often offer a discount on tuition if you contact them.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
socsci Wrote:Another option is Patten University. Although I can't recommend the BA. Psych there because of issues with the course/test content, I believe people have had success with their Masters program. Might be worth taking a look as they do accept international students and also will quite often offer a discount on tuition if you contact them.

Oh yeah, the Patten MBA has 7 different concentrations, the only difference with each one is the "3" concentration courses.
Their Patten MBA (Finance) was in the top 25 online MBA Finance programs... I pasted that link somewhere before...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
frostedfire Wrote:Has anyone had experience studying a MA with WGU while living outside the USA? please advise.

Based on the feedback here, it seems like it would be fine to pursue a degree at WGU while living abroad. If the proctoring is done online and there's no policy forbidding it, then you're set.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
Agree with ladyleaner.WGU looks to be set up perfectly for what you and your friends are trying to accomplish.

I checked out Patten U as well and because of the price, it was very difficult to a choice between them and WGU (Amberton U was also in this battle - more expensive but could also be an option for you). The program felt more robust and mature at WGU. This isn't a surprise when you see that Patten has graduated less than 50 MBA students to date (it was about 10 when I initially checked into it). The shortcomings of Patten will take longer to correct because student feedback per the numbers isn't loud enough for change to happen fast. WGU per the size is able to take in feedback and make changes. One example is course adjustments (2 in my degree with poor reviews were adjusted this year - students have options to do the old or new revised course). This type of flexibility in a school was important to me in my final decision and has paid off in the end.

Good luck!
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
during my time in Patten's undergrad program, they weren't all that interested in addressing feedback provided for their programs.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
RANSOMSOUL Wrote:Agree with ladyleaner.WGU looks to be set up perfectly for what you and your friends are trying to accomplish.

I checked out Patten U as well and because of the price, it was very difficult to a choice between them and WGU (Amberton U was also in this battle - more expensive but could also be an option for you). The program felt more robust and mature at WGU. This isn't a surprise when you see that Patten has graduated less than 50 MBA students to date (it was about 10 when I initially checked into it). The shortcomings of Patten will take longer to correct because student feedback per the numbers isn't loud enough for change to happen fast. WGU per the size is able to take in feedback and make changes. One example is course adjustments (2 in my degree with poor reviews were adjusted this year - students have options to do the old or new revised course). This type of flexibility in a school was important to me in my final decision and has paid off in the end.

Good luck!

I just now read what someone else posted about WGU being restricted to students in the US and Canada. I don't know if that's set in stone.

I did some courses at Patten for undergrad (always intending to transfer out) and I had an OK experience. For me, it wasn't as bad as some others have reported. It served its purpose.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,636 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,419 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Lowest cost online MBA's (USA or Abroad) theedude 61 10,781 04-05-2021, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  Getting an Online Graduate Degree While Working Abroad aroliver1993 9 1,533 09-02-2020, 01:28 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Masters in Civil Engineering + online + abroad Peter123456789 2 1,051 01-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Peter123456789