Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WPU MSc in Financial Engineering... any feedback??
Im just starting my BSBA, so it is so early to think in a Master degree, anyway, i heard about WPU MSc in Financial Engineering, and i'm really wondering now if this is something serious. Whole program is totally free.

Link below:

https://wqu.org/programs/mscfe
I've done my research on that program before since I'm interested in Quantitative Finance. Also an FYI--it's WQU (WorldQuant University) not WPU.

From what I've heard, they only teach the basics, and it's more like what a coding bootcamp is. Below is a comment posted by their Reddit page:

"WorldQuant University (WQU) is an international not-for-profit founded by Igor Tulchinksy, the founder and CEO of WorldQuant, LLC. It is sponsored by the WorldQuant Foundation. WQU currently offerings two programs: A 2-year MSc in Financial Engineering and an 8-week Introduction to Data Science module (powered by The Data Incubator).

With 1800+ students in more than 80 countries around the world, the MScFE program is the largest of its kind. The curriculum was recently updated and reverse-engineered based on the skills employers are looking for from financial engineering graduates.

The University is licensed by the Louisiana Board of Regents and taking steps to apply for accreditation with an accrediting body that is recognized by the US Department of Education and CHEA and specializes in distance education.

All offerings at WQU are 100% tuition-free because the University was founded on the idea that while talent is equally distributed around the world, opportunity is not."
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
[-] The following 1 user Likes amaquiling's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(09-13-2019, 09:11 AM)amaquiling Wrote: I've done my research on that program before since I'm interested in Quantitative Finance. Also an FYI--it's WQU (WorldQuant University) not WPU.

From what I've heard, they only teach the basics, and it's more like what a coding bootcamp is. Below is a comment posted by their Reddit page:

"WorldQuant University (WQU) is an international not-for-profit founded by Igor Tulchinksy, the founder and CEO of WorldQuant, LLC. It is sponsored by the WorldQuant Foundation. WQU currently offerings two programs: A 2-year MSc in Financial Engineering and an 8-week Introduction to Data Science module (powered by The Data Incubator).

With 1800+ students in more than 80 countries around the world, the MScFE program is the largest of its kind. The curriculum was recently updated and reverse-engineered based on the skills employers are looking for from financial engineering graduates.

The University is licensed by the Louisiana Board of Regents and taking steps to apply for accreditation with an accrediting body that is recognized by the US Department of Education and CHEA and specializes in distance education.

All offerings at WQU are 100% tuition-free because the University was founded on the idea that while talent is equally distributed around the world, opportunity is not."

Thank for your feedback.

Yes it is WQU, not WPU, my mistake, i will edit the original thread.

So i think it looks nice anyway.

What happens if you get a master in a non-accredited University, and some years after this the get the accredititation? Your Masters gets automatically accredited??

Edit: I cannot edit orignial thread now Sad
Nope, it will NOT be accredited. The same thing is with any other school or ACE course, if you take the course at a time it is not ACE recommended for credit, then it will not be worth any credit even when it gains recommendation. The only way around this is to "almost" finish the course/degree such as doing all the courses but the capstone, then wait for accreditation, finish the capstone as the last requirement when it's accredited. You can only get an accredited degree when you finish the degree during the time it is still valid with whatever accreditation it has.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(09-13-2019, 11:35 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Nope, it will NOT be accredited.  The same thing is with any other school or ACE course, if you take the course at a time it is not ACE recommended for credit, then it will not be worth any credit even when it gains recommendation.  The only way around this is to "almost" finish the course/degree such as doing all the courses but the capstone, then wait for accreditation, finish the capstone as the last requirement when it's accredited.  You can only get an accredited degree when you finish the degree during the time it is still valid with whatever accreditation it has.

Very valuable information

Is RA for masters degrees as important as for BS/BA degrees??
It looks like a really sound program. If nothing else, it could be a good way to dip your feet in to see if this is something you really like and then move onto a different program. I believe most FE are extremely expensive unless funded. Nothing wrong with doing this AND an masters in quant Econ in which there a numerous online programs that are relatively affordable. If you can gain demonstarable skills from WQU, that in itself would be worth the time sink. No cost like this program takes a lot of the risk out. Imagine going for half a FE to NYU and hate it....still have to pay back at least $50,000 or so I would guesstimate. Best of luck. If you do pursue, please update.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 264 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,057 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Berkeley Coursera MAS-Engineering Jonathan Whatley 8 916 09-07-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude
  Master's for software engineering or CS KittenBat 1 724 05-17-2023, 09:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Walden University Fast Track PhD feedback Johmford 1 936 01-03-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  LSU Engineering Online Alpha 0 650 05-23-2022, 09:40 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Top 10 Mechanical Engineering Program at University of Texas sanantone 0 717 09-04-2021, 08:04 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Ms industrial engineering online Pats20 2 694 07-14-2021, 11:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Nuclear Engineering Alpha 0 532 07-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  FREE - WorldQuant MS Financial Engineering - DEAC (NA) bjcheung77 3 1,310 03-01-2021, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Seagull