Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walden MBAs Discussion & Accountability
(03-01-2019, 08:49 PM)eriehiker Wrote: You CAN get the grad cert for free.  You just have to enroll in the grad cert right from the start.  If you start in the masters program and switch to the cert you have to pay for a second term because it is a program change.  I highly recommend going for the free grad. certs.

I believe you can only get these two certs. The others are not Tempo Learning and don't have the free term offer.

Graduate Certificate in Early Childhood Administration, Management, and Leadership
Graduate Certificate in Applied Project Management

The poster was interested in a different grad cert.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • eriehiker
I know someone here, who I have a ton of respect for, dropped out of the program. Given the person's educational track record with various programs/schools, I would love to know that person's thoughts/opinions of Walden & what lead to the drop-out. I think, at least from a graduate school level, it would give more insight about what needs to be changed in the program.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • eriehiker
(02-27-2019, 12:45 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(02-27-2019, 11:47 AM)elbebopkid Wrote: I'm in for the March 4 start date with the free term. At this point in time, I don't intend on paying Walden any money. I just want to see how many credits I can earn within the free term and have them parked on a transcript in case they come in handy for something. Maybe transferring in somewhere. Or, if I make significant progress enough to complete it in two terms... who knows. I might drop the money and scoop up that MBA.

How should I attack this thing?

If your undergrad is not in business, but you want to make the most use of your time, I would suggest not reading all of the "Business Essentials" stuff and just take the exams instead. You can take the exams as many times as you need to, and if you get the answer wrong they will tell you where to look to find the right answer. I literally wasted weeks on Business Essentials that could have been used somewhere else.

Also, I would avoid taking IG003 & IG004 (same professor) the first term. The professor on that course is pretty hard-core and people have dropped out of the program or been forced to switch into the traditional program because of her. Build up your confidence and get all the free credits you can elsewhere first. I passed IG003, on my first attempt but was not thrilled with the outcome. A lot of other students have their problems in that competency. I had the most problems with her in IG004. There are a few things I would suggest when you do take it. First, break up each rubric point in the writing by the sub-competency within each sub-competency i.e. 2.1, 2.3, 2.4 etc. Second, quantify your business problem with a number i.e. decrease XYZ by 50%. Third, she wants the Mind Map to have problems only without any solutions and preferably in color with graphics and non-straight lines so it feels more lively/dynamic. Unfortunately, she has both of the higher credit competencies for WMBA 6020, which means you will be lucky to get anything over a "B" in the class when all is said and done. I managed an "A" just barely but didn't make a 4.0 on the GPA because she grades both the heavy weighted competencies.

I started IG003 just so I could get an assigned professor and see if it's the notorious one you referred to. Do you mind telling me, what were the professor's initials? And that'll pretty much tell me whether I've got the same one. The advisor told me I could pause a competency and open a different one if I was at the limit of 3, got stuck, and wanted to make progress in a different area. So that's handy. If I'm trying to rack up credits and not necessarily get the degree, I may work around her if it's that bad.
(03-02-2019, 12:59 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: I know someone here, who I have a ton of respect for, dropped out of the program. Given the person's educational track record with various programs/schools, I would love to know that person's thoughts/opinions of Walden & what lead to the drop-out. I think, at least from a graduate school level, it would give more insight about what needs to be changed in the program.

You know what? I'm tapping out too. Not just this second. But the material is just so ODIOUSLY boring and the assessment assignments and rubric just so abysmally micro-specific and detailed that there is absolutely no way I'm going to see this through to any kind of conclusion.

Even if you could complete an MBA in two terms at very low cost.... for my purposes, I'm not sure a for-profit Walden MBA with the school's very poor reputation and bad PR baggage would do anything but hurt my resume, to be honest. 

And even if completing the whole thing was doable in a single term for free, I'm not willing to put this much work into something that has very little real-world value. If I needed it as a box-checker for promotion/raise at my existing job.... MAYBE. That's not to disparage anyone else who has a Walden degree. If it helps get you where you're going, I salute you. But I can just foresee this program will not get me personally much of anywhere. So not only is it not worth the money. I don't feel it's worth my time/work. 

I'm going to peck away at passing a few more courses, print out a transcript to impress my boss, and maybe bank up a handful of credits that might transfer into say.... I dunno a Perdue Global MBA if I wanted to pick it back up and persue a better-branded MBA (with Perdue alumni association!) down the road. But I'm not going to spend a heck of a whole lot of time on this. If I get a Master's, it's going to be in something interesting and engaging. 

As far as what needs to be changed in the program, if you want, I can copy/paste some rubric info and assessment instructions. There are only three courses in the entire program in which the assessment is an exam. The rest range from short-answer assessments (that aren't actually short at all) to big multi-part complex projects, and long boring detailed papers examining say ....ten points of leadership for each of three given fictional scenario and detailed recommendations on best-practices to improve idea nurturing within an organization (For each fictional organization.)  Each such assessment nets you .25, .5, .75 or one credit. 

Essentially you have to put together 41 or so assessments like that.  Degree hacking my BSBA got me really spoiled on grinding through a course with quizzes, a final, and sometimes also a paper, and you could easily pass even if you mildly bomb any one of the three elements. This MBA program is such a CRAWL and a dull drag by comparison. It's just not for me. I'd rather write English papers at Harvard Extension for an ALM.
> Where's everyone else at in the program? What's your plan for the next term?

Thank you for starting this thread. I'm trying to see if I can get an April 1 start date. And this thread so far has been my biggest source of information for the Tempo MBA program.

If anyone suggestions in general let me know. Otherwise, I hope in a couple weeks, I'll get my feet wet in the program  Smile
(03-04-2019, 12:48 PM)elbebopkid Wrote: I started IG003 just so I could get an assigned professor and see if it's the notorious one you referred to. Do you mind telling me, what were the professor's initials? And that'll pretty much tell me whether I've got the same one. The advisor told me I could pause a competency and open a different one if I was at the limit of 3, got stuck, and wanted to make progress in a different area. So that's handy. If I'm trying to rack up credits and not necessarily get the degree, I may work around her if it's that bad.

Initials are TB (really AB, but goes by TB), and the person is from outside the US.
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(03-21-2019, 10:55 AM)dantheman Wrote: > Where's everyone else at in the program? What's your plan for the next term?

Thank you for starting this thread. I'm trying to see if I can get an April 1 start date. And this thread so far has been my biggest source of information for the Tempo MBA program.

If anyone suggestions in general let me know. Otherwise, I hope in a couple weeks, I'll get my feet wet in the program  Smile

I totally thought I responded to this, but I must have closed the window or something.

Anyhow, I took the longest academic leave I could. I literally save everything from the Marketing (IG005-IG007) with regard to assignments and assessments so that I could work on them while on leave. I am going to go ahead and finish those with the intention of going back to Walden at some point unless I transfer the credits and finish my JD & MBA at the same school. Right now though, I am just thinking about the MBA and sitting for the LSAT again (didn't get proctored correctly the first time).

I'm in the MBA Healthcare Administration track. For earning more credits on the MBA towards Walden I see three potential solutions.

First, EdX has their MicroMasters which awards graduate level credit to people who pass all the proctored exams for the certificate AND apply and are accepted to the full masters program. Note, it doesn't say "agrees to attend", leaving open a potential loophole for gaining the grad credits without actually attending. I have received a scholarship from EdX before, but apparently even with that there may be some fee the school would charge to have the credits applied to a transcript. The USM/UMUC Micromasters MBA Core Curriculum crosses over a lot, but there are some classes I wouldn't need, namely marketing (already doing through Walden) and possibly Global Business Strategy. I wrote to UMUC a few weeks ago to find out what fees they assess for gaining credit once a person passes the proctored exam, along with a number of other questions. Needless to say I did not hear back. If there is no fee assessed though, this might be worth it. On EdX scholarships a person only pays 10% of the course cost, but they only allow scholarships for 4 courses per year. To complete the entire MicroMasters (if I still took marketing) would then come to $730.6 ($85.6 [4 discounted classes] + $645 [3 full priced classes]) for 14 credits, or $52.18/credit. There are a few other potential options going this route including the Accounting & Financial Management MicroMasters (4 classes = 12 credits on scholarship = $99.60 + $50 application fee +$15 TESU transcript fee = $164.60 or $13.71/cr without bulk discount PLUS whatever the academic per credit fee is), or the DoaneX Healthcare Administration but the cost of that is higher for less credits (9cr for $586). I was also interested in the in Data, Economics, and Development Policy MicroMasters, which is worth about 15-18 grad credits, but the cost would be higher with the minimum being $500. It also looks more high stress since exams are proctored in person and failing means waiting until the end of the next term to re-take. Right now the accounting & financial management micromasters is looking good! Even before getting the MBA that would be an asset on my résumé, and I have seen a few places with other grad credits I could collect to take advantage of the full 15 credits transferred in. The biggest question is whether UMUC would assess a fee to have those accounting credit put on a transcript, and if so what the fee would be. Since I never got an answer to my e-mail regarding the MBA Core I suspect I'll have to call with questions, but that will have to wait until next week. The big bummer to EdX for me right now is I just updated my OS and apparently EdX proctoring doesn't work on 10.14. For 12 credits so cheap though I can deal. I responded to a survey Walden put out in detail and told them they really should consider either making their own MicroMasters to port into the MBA or else formally acknowledge that they'd be willing to accept these credits. So far... no response. I think the best way to find out might just be to try it. If the per credit fee from the school is $100 (with the $13.71 fee above) I would end up paying $341.13/course, which means UoP would be cheaper, but if the academic fee is $52.96 or less than it either breaks even with UoP or else saves money. I think it's worth checking out, but also more risky if it requires being accepted to the school after the fact. I still want to try to get some more concrete answers from EdX about that academic credit purchase fee.

The second solution would be to spend a 6 month term at WGU. If I wanted to finish at WGU I would lose my credits from Walden along with the concentration I really wanted. I still have some medical issues that might make completing the whole degree in 6 months near impossible. During the three month term at Walden I underwent four surgeries and didn't get done nearly as much as I had hoped to. I could go to WGU just for a term and then plan to port the credits back over to Walden, but since they max out the transfer credits at 15, that means I would end up paying $3,945 for 15 credits, which comes out to $263/cr. For about that price I could go to an in-state MBA program online.

The third potential option is to spend a term at University of the People. It's a $60 application fee, and $200 per class exam, which comes out to $66.66 per credit. From what I can tell, it's looking like Walden would accept these credits as Walden is taking NA credits or basically anything recognized by CHEA. The advantage to this is I could get to know people more. On the downside, I really like that with Walden there's not a requirement to interact with the other students. Getting a bad professor was bad enough, but sometimes discussion boards just feel like busy work. I am also concerned about keeping up my GPA for law school, and I don't know how that would come through with UoP, whereas I suspect on the MicroMasters it's just a pass/fail system that wouldn't affect the GPA. I am keeping UoP in my pocket as a thought.

Another option for some people might be to just work at Papa Johns corporate to get the free tuition from Purdue Global University, either with plans to graduate there or port back to Walden. I don't know if I could bring myself to do either though. I know Papa Johns is trying to move past the racist remarks, so that is certainly an issue, not to mention the guilt of knowing the food is going to contribute to the obesity and diabetes epidemic. I think I would feel more guilt-free going with EdX.

The major bummer part of going with EdX, for me, is I had an interested in taking the BioInformatic Micromasters as a "just for fun" thing, and going with the accounting would eat up my free scholarship opportunities. Seems worth it though since I don't really need credits in BioInformatics anyhow.

I'd probably be more comfortable just sticking with Walden outright if I had access to everything in advance and could prepare my papers without having to be enrolled, as some people are doing with WGU, but that only seems to be happening because so many people are enrolled there already and giving others a heads up about what is required. Walden certainly doesn't seem to have the same fan base or cohort feel that WGU has... another thing I mentioned to Walden that they needed to work on.
Is anyone still working on the Walden MBA?

I have not gone back yet, but I did speak to an academic advisor. I am still looking at finding a cheaper place to take courses and max out the 15 allowed transfer credits. I do have confirmation that they will accept the following credits from UoPeople if a grade of "B" or better is earned:

BUS 5110 Managerial Accounting for WMBA 6050
BUS 5111 Financial Management for WMBA 6070
BUS 5112 Marketing Management for WMBA 6060
BUS 5114 Management Information Systems and Technology for WMBA 6030
BUS 5211 Managing in the Global Economy for WMBA 6677 (Project Mgmt specialization)

Unfortunately, this isn't great for me. First, in terms of maxing out the 15 transfer credits allowed since I am already more than halfway through my marketing paper at Walden I could really only transfer in 9 credits. Second, I don't need WMBA6677 for my concentration. Third, after doing more research on UoPeople it looks like some of the assignments are graded by student peers... which makes me nervous about maintaining a good GPA. I'm not sure if I should still try UoPeople and transfer what I can back to Walden or just pick a different school that is cheaper and offers more of the credits I need.

I tried going back to see what credits they would allow to transfer in from the WGU MBA program but they wouldn't tell me and said they don't like working off of "theoreticals".

Thoughts? Suggestions on other places with cheap grad credits that would likely transfer?
(09-02-2019, 01:58 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: Is anyone still working on the Walden MBA?

I have not gone back yet, but I did speak to an academic advisor. I am still looking at finding a cheaper place to take courses and max out the 15 allowed transfer credits. I do have confirmation that they will accept the following credits from UoPeople if a grade of "B" or better is earned:

BUS 5110 Managerial Accounting for WMBA 6050
BUS 5111 Financial Management for WMBA 6070
BUS 5112 Marketing Management for WMBA 6060
BUS 5114 Management Information Systems and Technology for WMBA 6030
BUS 5211 Managing in the Global Economy for WMBA 6677 (Project Mgmt specialization)

Unfortunately, this isn't great for me. First, in terms of maxing out the 15 transfer credits allowed since I am already more than halfway through my marketing paper at Walden I could really only transfer in 9 credits. Second, I don't need WMBA6677 for my concentration. Third, after doing more research on UoPeople it looks like some of the assignments are graded by student peers... which makes me nervous about maintaining a good GPA. I'm not sure if I should still try UoPeople and transfer what I can back to Walden or just pick a different school that is cheaper and offers more of the credits I need.

I tried going back to see what credits they would allow to transfer in from the WGU MBA program but they wouldn't tell me and said they don't like working off of "theoreticals".

Thoughts? Suggestions on other places with cheap grad credits that would likely transfer?

WGU is their competitor. Why would you attend WGU and transfer back to Walden Tempo Learning?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-02-2019, 07:42 PM)sanantone Wrote: WGU is their competitor. Why would you attend WGU and transfer back to Walden Tempo Learning?

I wanted the social entrepreneurship concentration but had also planned to do the healthcare concentration too possibly. Although, really now I am debating if it's worth it. They are going to make me take that graduate level social entrepreneurship class that at this point I don't really think I need since I've done so many MOOCs on the topic, plus they require a course on grant writing. While I'm interested in a course on grant writing I also feel like it's sort of more geared toward non-profit and donations... which is pretty opposite of the point of social enterprises. They also require a course on "Initiating and Managing Change" which really is fine for any business but is not particularly related to social enterprise in my opinion. USC's social entrepreneurship program is the one I really would have liked to have done but it's ridiculously expensive, and I still have not really seen any graduate certificates in social entrepreneurship that I was impressed with and felt was a decent price. The classes I am interested in are more things like feasibility studies and investing/funding in impact ventures... which Walden and WGU don't even offer. 

If I permanently switch to WGU I'd be starting over completely since they don't allow transfer credits for graduate work. Plus, one of the things I like about Walden is their GPA system compared to WGU. From what I have read with WGU it's basically on like you can't get an "A" on a 4.0 scale since they are on a 3.0 scale. Since I plan to do law school after I want to have the best looking grades I can manage to get. Additionally, I get really terrible test anxiety and even though I hate all the writing required at Walden it actually makes me less nervous. If I try a term at WGU and the tests don't seem so bad I might consider staying. I mean, I made it through the TECEPs so maybe it wouldn't be terrible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,079 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Walden university richlyblessed 7 1,346 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,447 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,429 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Walden University Fast Track PhD feedback Johmford 1 936 01-03-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Walden University MS-Psychology Tempo Learning Supermind 44 10,137 12-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Walden psychology ARV095 5 919 12-22-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: ARV095
  Walden Tempo Criminal Justice/grad school redheadguy03 6 1,092 10-31-2022, 03:27 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  $3000 Grant MBA for Walden Tempo SweetSecret 8 1,178 08-06-2022, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Vle045
Question Walden Tempo MHRM AnnaAK 3 929 03-10-2022, 12:18 PM