Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Walden MHA tempo learning journey
Hola, I have been pretty much MIA since completing my TESU BALS 2 years ago, but with all that is going on currently I am about to start the MHA through Walden's Tempo Learning. Currently holed up at my family's rural compound in Virginia with my partner and my parents. Virginia has the stay at home directive through June 10th, so seemed like a good time to do a competency program. I have ~14 years experience in hospital administration, so went for a MHA. Ended up with Walden because the enrollment process just went more smoothly than the other competency options. I start on Monday the 6th. It is a 53 credit program with 40 competencies. I'm hoping to sail through it in one 3 month term or 2 at the most. The platform will allow me to have 3 competencies active at any given time and there are goalposts to hit before being able to submit assessments. After submitting an assessment,  there is up to 72 hours before it is approved. So I think the biggest hurdle is going to be waiting on that. I've looked over the curriculum and there are maybe 6 competencies that look like will require a bit of research and work beyond my current skillset, so going to try to have 1 of those plus 2 of the things I'm competent with going at a time. Will try to update as I can, since I've seen little out there about this particular program. Also working on some related certifications at the same time, for when administrative lag takes over.
[-] The following 6 users Like Sparklette's post:
  • CatsDomino, hsfamfun, Jonathan Whatley, Muldoon, ss20ts, suzycupcake
I'm a little over a month into the program and officially ~10% through, although it will jump to over 25% in the next week. I realized after starting that my plan to go with topics I know best doesn't work as well as I expected. Some modules have prerequisites, like Global Health. I originally was under the impression it was just the capstone that did, but there are a handful of others.
I quickly realized of the assessment types that the 'selected response' or multiple choice assessments are my nemesis, so decided to fight my way through all of those first. They tend to be worth 3/4 of a credit. I'm better at the assessments that require writing.
Some of the learning resources are out of date and the links don't go to the expected pages. You can usually find the intended document with google or ask the module's SME. Apparently the program is in the midst of being updated.this is mostly an issue with the selected response assessments, especially when asking about current statistics.
Walden provides the online version of Microsoft word and such, which is needed to complete assessments. I kind of despise the online version, though, and have been downloading the documents to use the old school software version on one of my laptops. All the textbooks are made available free to read online in the platform, but there are a couple you might want to spring for physical copies of, if you don't enjoy reading a computer screen for hours.
Happy to answer any specific questions or I'll post more rambling thoughts soon
[-] The following 6 users Like Sparklette's post:
  • allvia, cerich67, Jonathan Whatley, ktech, ss20ts, suzycupcake
(05-14-2020, 05:00 PM)Sparklette Wrote: I'm a little over a month into the program and officially ~10% through, although it will jump to over 25% in the next week. I realized after starting that my plan to go with topics I know best doesn't work as well as I expected. Some modules have prerequisites, like Global Health. I originally was under the impression it was just the capstone that did, but there are a handful of others.
I quickly realized of the assessment types that the 'selected response' or multiple choice assessments are my nemesis, so decided to fight my way through all of those first. They tend to be worth 3/4 of a credit. I'm better at the assessments that require writing.
Some of the learning resources are out of date and the links don't go to the expected pages. You can usually find the intended document with google or ask the module's SME. Apparently the program is in the midst of being updated.this is mostly an issue with the selected response assessments, especially when asking about current statistics.
Walden provides the online version of Microsoft word and such, which is needed to complete assessments. I kind of despise the online version, though, and have been downloading the documents to use the old school software version on one of my laptops. All the textbooks are made available free to read online in the platform, but there are a couple you might want to spring for physical copies of, if you don't enjoy reading a computer screen for hours.

I'm about to start the MS in General Psychology (TEMPO), and I was wondering if you have any updates?  Do you believe this program can be finished in a year or less?  
Also, how do monthly payments work (if that is what you do)?
MS in Psychology - Walden University (4.0 GPA)
MicroMasters® in Business Administration and Management (GradCert) - Tecnologico de Monterrey (also known as Monterrey Institute of Technology)
B.S.L.A. (Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts)/depths in psychology and sociology - Excelsior College (123 hrs.)
A.A.S. in Maintenance Production Management - Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) 
A.A. in Computer Information Systems (CIS) - Arkansas State University-Newport
A.A. in Liberal Arts - Arkansas State University-Newport

edX (MOOCs):

Omens, Oracles, and Prophecies - HarvardX (93%)
Virus 101x - Tel Aviv University (TAU) (87%)

Coursera (MOOCs):

The Johns Hopkins University (93.50%)
COVID-19 Contact Tracing 

[-] The following 1 user Likes yrot21's post:
  • warriortaupou
I agree about the digital textbooks. I've been using them because they tend to be cheaper, but man my eyeballs are freaking out. The amount of screen time is quite intense when all of your reading is on a brightly light screen for 10+ hours a day.
(06-28-2020, 02:00 PM)yrot21 Wrote:
(05-14-2020, 05:00 PM)Sparklette Wrote: I'm a little over a month into the program and officially ~10% through, although it will jump to over 25% in the next week. I realized after starting that my plan to go with topics I know best doesn't work as well as I expected. Some modules have prerequisites, like Global Health. I originally was under the impression it was just the capstone that did, but there are a handful of others.

I'm about to start the MS in General Psychology (TEMPO), and I was wondering if you have any updates?  Do you believe this program can be finished in a year or less?  

Could you tell me why you chose general psychology? I've been thinking about general vs counselling and I still can't decide.
(06-28-2020, 03:02 PM)romoh Wrote:

Could you tell me why you chose general psychology? I've been thinking about general vs counselling and I still can't decide.

Yes.  I chose the general route because I do not intend to use it as a career change.  I work with the DoD as an Engineering Technician (Civil).  I've always loved
psychology as subject, so I stick with it.  The master's degree will help me in the government (at the 14/15/SES level--if I decide to go that route).  It's really for personal enrichment.  Hope this kind of answers the question.
MicroMasters® in Business Administration and Management (GradCert) - Tecnologico de Monterrey (also known as Monterrey Institute of Technology)
B.S.L.A. (Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts)/depths in psychology and sociology - Excelsior College (123 hrs.)
A.A.S. in Maintenance Production Management - Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) 

edX (MOOCs):

Coursera (MOOCs):

COVID-19 Contact Tracing 

I am not sure on the specifics of the general psychology program, but it was designed more recently than the MHA program. The MHA is currently listed as a "legacy program" in Tempo and has a few rules that different from the newer programs, mostly in grading. It is currently having the curriculum updated, so that might change as well.
All of the tempo programs are designed with a 2 year completion time as the standard expectation and the minimum credits completed per term are tailored to that. It is completely possible to speed that up. There is a lot of writing,but not necessarily papers. Many of the assessments are a series of 8-12 "short answer" questions that require 3 or so paragraphs with appropriate citations. For my program, these are submitted in a worksheet template that is provided, which, for me, was not working well with the provided online version of Microsoft Word and went far more smoothly using a computer with the traditional version--your mileage may vary. However, your ability to navigate such things will impact your speed in the program. From the online Facebook group for tempo students, there are several that are accelerating through their programs in 6-12 months, so it is possible. Completing in 1 term (3 months) seems like a stretch unless it is all you do and you are blessed with SMEs that update progress, unlock, and return assessments much faster than their allotted 48 and 72 hour timeframes.

I don't do monthly payments,  so can't offer anything there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sparklette's post:
  • suzycupcake
(06-28-2020, 07:33 PM)Sparklette Wrote:

I am not sure on the specifics of the general psychology program, but it was designed more recently than the MHA program. The MHA is currently listed as a "legacy program" in Tempo and has a few rules that different from the newer programs, mostly in grading. It is currently having the curriculum updated, so that might change as well.
All of the tempo programs are designed with a 2 year completion time as the standard expectation and the minimum credits completed per term are tailored to that. It is completely possible to speed that up. There is a lot of writing,but not necessarily papers. Many of the assessments are a series of 8-12 "short answer" questions that require 3 or so paragraphs with appropriate citations. For my program, these are submitted in a worksheet template that is provided, which, for me, was not working well with the provided online version of Microsoft Word and went far more smoothly using a computer with the traditional version--your mileage may vary. However, your ability to navigate such things will impact your speed in the program. From the online Facebook group for tempo students, there are several that are accelerating through their programs in 6-12 months, so it is possible. Completing in 1 term (3 months) seems like a stretch unless it is all you do and you are blessed with SMEs that update progress, unlock, and return assessments much faster than their allotted 48 and 72 hour timeframes.

I don't do monthly payments,  so can't offer anything there.

Good information, thanks!

edX (MOOCs):

Coursera (MOOCs):

COVID-19 Contact Tracing 

I did a tempo ms in psychology is 6 months. Its has a load of bugs and dead links in the learning platform. They may or may not have fixed those.
(06-29-2020, 11:06 AM)xspect Wrote: I did a tempo ms in psychology is 6 months. Its has a load of bugs and dead links in the learning platform. They may or may not have fixed those.

That's awesome.  There's no way I could do that, as I'm starting from scratch (no transfer credits).  I would like to finish it in a year, though.
Would be nice.  Do you think a year is doable?

edX (MOOCs):

Coursera (MOOCs):

COVID-19 Contact Tracing 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,022 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,451 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 1,912 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,839 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,271 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  Walden university richlyblessed 7 1,345 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NAU Personalized Learning Master of Organizational Leadership Jonathan Whatley 11 1,582 12-14-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  NAU MOL degree personalized learning Ebroady23 8 812 11-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,447 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,429 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM